Nitrate Poisoning

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced this? I've got a 15 month old heifer that started acting oddly this afternoon.. we were putting hay in the hay trap, and a small group of heifers that are in the yard came out to the trap to eat while we were unloading. There are a few Johnson grass plants that haven't been grazed, but I can't imagine there's enough to make her sick.

Her symptoms are standing quietly, occassional tremors in her neck and flanks, a little salivation. No interest in eating, just standing. She's on grain, and is in good condition.

Of course it's Friday night :cry: how come they never get sick on a Wednesday afternoon?

We lost a cow some years back and suspected nitrate or prussic acid poisoning. Happened when we were away for a week--I can relate to your frustration. I hope you get perked up.

http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/b1153-w.html
"Brown, chocolate-colored blood resulting from the presence of methemoglobin indicates severe nitrate toxicity. Breathing becomes progressively more difficult until marked respiratory distress and violent respiratory movements are observed. Other physical symptoms include frothing at the month, rapid weak heart beat, muscle spasms, incoordination, convulsions, diarrhea and frequent urination."

If it is nitrate poisoning I hear methelein blue is the treatment. I was told that by a vet and he also advised you plan an escape rout as the cow or animal will be plenty POed.

Scotty

Latest posts