nitrate concerns on fertilized ryegrass/bahia mix

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Nearly 3 weeks ago, on 6 acres of some pretty poor soil, I put out the recommended rate of 150 lbs/acre of 33-0-0 granular fertilize a day ahead of 2-3" forecast rain. Another 3 acres, I applied the same rate of 22-0-0. We ended up with less than 1/10" rain, and none since. Grass turned a nice dark green and grew some but not like it should have and I realize a lot of the N is now lost, but my concern is now high nitrates since we didn't get the rain to get the fertilize broken down. Looking close, I can still see granules sitting on the surface.
I don't need to graze it right now, but part of it is the only way I have to move cattle to my pen--once I start to move cows across it, they aren't going to want to leave it easily. Am I worrying over nothing?

greybeard":2i700zro said:
Nearly 3 weeks ago, on 6 acres of some pretty poor soil, I put out the recommended rate of 150 lbs/acre of 33-0-0 granular fertilize a day ahead of 2-3" forecast rain. Another 3 acres, I applied the same rate of 22-0-0. We ended up with less than 1/10" rain, and none since. Grass turned a nice dark green and grew some but not like it should have and I realize a lot of the N is now lost, but my concern is now high nitrates since we didn't get the rain to get the fertilize broken down. Looking close, I can still see granules sitting on the surface.
I don't need to graze it right now, but part of it is the only way I have to move cattle to my pen--once I start to move cows across it, they aren't going to want to leave it easily. Am I worrying over nothing?

Years ago I ended up with a bunch of dummy calves Vet attributed it to nitrate poisoning.

I'm not saying this is correct but I usually wait until at least a half in of rain . I put 1 ton 6 acres about a month ago. Got 1 inch that night and put the heifers back on it a week later . I've also fertilized with the cows in the pasture and never had a problem.

Caustic Burno":3ksm04bt said:
greybeard":3ksm04bt said:

Years ago I ended up with a bunch of dummy calves Vet attributed it to nitrate poisoning.

Please explain

:D :D :banana: :banana:
Took all day to get here, but we're getting a good rain right now.
Thanks for the input all.

greybeard":158p71ej said:
Yep been without power since 11 last night, that was some ugly stuff came through here.
Tornado warnings going off just waiting till daylight to survey the damage.
SHECO trucks been running up and down the road all night.
Looking at the site outage viewer Tyler county took the brunt of the storm.

Caustic Burno":3v12etos said:
greybeard":3v12etos said:
Yep been without power since 11 last night, that was some ugly stuff came through here.
Tornado warnings going off just waiting till daylight to survey the damage.
SHECO trucks been running up and down the road all night.
Looking at the site outage viewer Tyler county took the brunt of the storm.
I saw that on the radar and in the NW & NE sky last night--lightning reflected from your area can be seen here if the Tstorm cloud tops are high enough. My brother said it was raining and hailing when he drove thru Winnie this morning around 8am.

greybeard":3bho4k6h said:
I guess I need to try to get a test kit....anyone know where to order one for green forage?

Grey

Did you know that Texas A and M will test for nitrates for about five dollars. They will accept your sample by mail or you could drive it over to them from Cleveland if you in a hurry for test results.

Thanks..I knew 'someone' did, just didn't know who. They've been grazing it now for over 2 weeks, so I guess all the rain we've gotten did the trick. I would have liked to have known for sure beforehand tho..I had a couple of worrisome nights wondering what I would find in the morning..

Latest posts