Nissan Titan

Help Support CattleToday:

sewall

Reaction score
What do ya'll think about them? I like the looks of them but was wondering about how they perform cause I'm itching to buy a new truck.

Don't really know anything about them. But Dodge makes some really nice trucks. :)

Might as well start with what you'll end up with a FORD[/b[

I have an '04 model crew cab 4x4. I like it, it will get up and run and pull. Like RB said it's not really a heavy duty truck though. Nissan is supposed to be coming out with a 3/4 ton and a ton model a the end of the year, but with the economy the way it is who knows. I've never had any major mechanicl problems with it.

I bought a 2008 Titan with the extended cab and the full sized bed. It is a half ton but most of the time I drive around and need a pick-up I don't need anything bigger. I have two other bigger trucks. The Titan is the nicest truck I have had so far. It has a 338 V-8 and is super fast. I added a extra leaf in it just because ya know how easy it is to overload a half ton. It has a payload of around 1600 lbs. and can tow about 7000 lbs. The bed is larger then the competition. The bed is two inches longer then my GMC full sized 3/4 ton and also 2 inches wider, I really notice when I stack hay in the bed the extra room. I also like how it came stock with the 18 inch wheels, the extra clearence helps in the deep snow. Also this truck came standard with front mud flaps and that keeps mud off my windows and door locks as opporssed to my other trucks. I got the all out work truck, it has the vinyl interior so it can be washed out easy cause mine get muddy and dirty fast and also everything on it is manual, locks and windows and no cruise - this truck was advertised for contractros and farmers. As you can tell, I really like this truck.

ONEGICOP":24nn4ei4 said:
I have an '04 model crew cab 4x4. I like it, it will get up and run and pull. Like RB said it's not really a heavy duty truck though. Nissan is supposed to be coming out with a 3/4 ton and a ton model a the end of the year, but with the economy the way it is who knows. I've never had any major mechanicl problems with it.
The problem with the up and coming 3/4 ton is that Dodge is supposed to be making it so ya know it will be made by union workers in a non-right-to-work state. The current Titan is made in Mississippi and the engine is made in Tennesee. I think it is ashamed that Dodge gets a chance to mess this truck up.

Nissan is NOT coming out with a 25 or 3500 class truck, but rather will _possibly_ be relying on Dodge to supply them with 1500 series trucks. Those talks stalled out though with the current financial crisis, so Nissan will be continuing their current Titan for the near future.

As far as the truck goes, the Titan is the least capable 1500 series on the road right now, both in terms of pulling and unloaded power. The reason why they were looking to one of the Big 3 for a replacement truck was because they needed something much more capable than they have right now, but didn't want to spend the money on developing it.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":1z53x8fi said:
Nissan is NOT coming out with a 25 or 3500 class truck, but rather will _possibly_ be relying on Dodge to supply them with 1500 series trucks. Those talks stalled out though with the current financial crisis, so Nissan will be continuing their current Titan for the near future.

As far as the truck goes, the Titan is the least capable 1500 series on the road right now, both in terms of pulling and unloaded power. The reason why they were looking to one of the Big 3 for a replacement truck was because they needed something much more capable than they have right now, but didn't want to spend the money on developing it.

Rod

Rod, you're exactly right about the Dodge/Nissan project. I heard on the business channel that this has been put on hold. May or may not be resurrected later.

Brother-in-law had one that someone told him would pull his fifth wheel travel trailer. Had about 10K city miles on it when the transmission puked and left him stranded about a hundred miles west of San Antonio with his fifth wheel.

Like several said above, nice Light duty truck. He's got a Durasuck now and hasn't had any problems.

lavacarancher":gdmhqppu said:
Brother-in-law had one that someone told him would pull his fifth wheel travel trailer. Had about 10K city miles on it when the transmission puked and left him stranded about a hundred miles west of San Antonio with his fifth wheel.

Like several said above, nice Light duty truck. He's got a Durasuck now and hasn't had any problems.
A half ton pick-up is only rated to pull anywhere between a 7000 to 9000 lb. payload on the average depending on the truck but not much difference between much of the half tons on actual payload. A lot of the difference in payload ratings is based on what rear ends are in the truck and also the wheel base and extended or crew cabs etc, long cabs actually subtract from the initial payload weight. There is fierce competition in the half ton pick-up market and not a whole lot practical difference between any of them. The Nissan only gets picked on because it has one engine and I am not sure if it has different rear ends. You can buy a Dodge with a Hemi I think with a 396 but what is the point, that big engine does not increase your payload any. The Nissan has a strong 338 in it. It really is stupid expecting a half ton to pull a gooseneck to any weighted capacity and based on the GCWR with a gooseneck hooked up your GCWR would easily put you over the legal limit or manufacture limit, most 3/4 ton pulling goosenecks are over-weight.

hayrayIt really is stupid expecting a half ton to pull a gooseneck to any weighted capacity and based on the GCWR with a gooseneck hooked up your GCWR would easily put you over the legal limit or manufacture limit said:
You may think its stupid, but a true test of any pickup truck is how well it can handle the occasional overweight load. I used to own nothing but duallies around here, and will own another again (when I find one I like), but any half-ton I own is expected to handle the OCCASIONAL overweight load without blowing apart. Both my 94 and my 98 Dodge handled overweight loads without any trouble. That poor old 98 Dodge handled a couple loads that a 3500 would have had issues with.

So like any of the Big 3 and Toy or not, it doesn't really change the fact that they are better built than the Nissan and able to handle the occasional overweight load out while the Nissan can't. And thats exactly why Nissan was going to kill the Titan in its current incarnation.

Rod

That is BS Diamond S. I own a 98 Dodge, a 93 F-150 and the GVWR as well as the payload weight rating on the label is higher then both of those pick-ups. I have hauled several loads with the Nissan already before I added the extra leafs, I put 50 bales on it several times and that is a approximate 2500 lb. payload. It is also the largest of the half tons, sits higher and the bed is longer and wider. Are you thinking the Nissan is sub-compact truck or something because I don't know where you are getting your info.

My information comes from RELIABLE sources such as Kelly, Edmunds, and automotive trades, not garbage gleaned from internet forums. While I recognize that the Titan is rated equal to the Dodge, Chev, and Ford in towing power, its my opinion that they are way OVER-RATED by Nissan. That is also the opinion of most of the trade mags. HP + Brakes = towing capacity. The Nissan is one of the lowest powered trucks on the road right now, and their binders DO NOT COME CLOSE to either the Ford or the Dodge.

I'm not talking about raw numbers on the door frames, I'm talking about ENGINEERING. And like I said, there is a reason why Nissan looked to Dodge for its new Titan. And it certainly wasn't because the Titan was currently a better truck.

You want to call BS, hayray, consider it called.

Rod

I read all those test also and first off, in some of them the Nissan finished first, in a few others it did not finish last and first and foremost those test were not even being close to being scientific. Those test take a truck and for example attatch a 6500 lb. trailer to it and then drag race it and base the comparison test on which truck finishes a half second faster. The test are not scientific because they compare vehicles with unequal engines and rear end ratios. I have not seen one single test that was realistic. Not one test talked about frame thickness and construction, brake construction, wheel bearings, tire load rating, bed dimension, spring rate, engine reliability. One test found the Toyota to be the best on gas and highest towing capacity but rated it last because the tester did not like where the controls in the cab are, that makes sense. I own a ford, chevy, GMC, Dodge, and a Nissan so I have opinions based on some actual experience. I would have thought you being a mechanic you would at least be more interested in the nuts and bolts and engineering rather than those test you quoted?

hayray":34a484r4 said:
lavacarancher":34a484r4 said:

A half ton pick-up is only rated to pull anywhere between a 7000 to 9000 lb. payload on the average depending on the truck but not much difference between much of the half tons on actual payload. A lot of the difference in payload ratings is based on what rear ends are in the truck and also the wheel base and extended or crew cabs etc, long cabs actually subtract from the initial payload weight. There is fierce competition in the half ton pick-up market and not a whole lot practical difference between any of them. The Nissan only gets picked on because it has one engine and I am not sure if it has different rear ends. You can buy a Dodge with a Hemi I think with a 396 but what is the point, that big engine does not increase your payload any. The Nissan has a strong 338 in it. It really is stupid expecting a half ton to pull a gooseneck to any weighted capacity and based on the GCWR with a gooseneck hooked up your GCWR would easily put you over the legal limit or manufacture limit, most 3/4 ton pulling goosenecks are over-weight.

Didn't say it wasn't. BIL was stupid for believing that the salesman would tell him the truth and the salesman was a liar. BIL should have done his homework and looked at the ratings of the truck and used a little caution even then as the factories have a wonderful talent at specmanship. Would you have hooked up a 7500 lb fifthwheel to an automatic Toyota? I wouldn't have.

As far as overloading the vehicle I think that's what makes the difference between one that will survive and one that scatters its innards all over the highway. I've towed as much as 26,000 lbs with my Duramax and it performed flawlessly. Never overheated, transmission temperature stayed below 200°F, brakes worked perfectly, etc. The only trouble I had was the Fords and Dodges pulling 30K lbs would run off and hide from me out on the road. But I don't pull that kind of load on a daily basis. Occasionaly I need to pull something that is going to run over the load limit of the truck - and it needs to take it without breaking. If I needed to pull something that weighs over 25,000 lbs everyday I would have bought a Peterbilt.

Occasionally overweight......... :lol: Old '95 Chevy 2500 has 183,000 or so on it and at least half of those are overweight. Darn mudflaps are tattered on the back from dragging the blacktop so much. Occasionally overweight...... :lol: Sorry. I don't mean any disrespect. This thread just made me ponder and laugh at some of my own stupidity.

hayray":x1mlpocu said:
I would have thought you being a mechanic you would at least be more interested in the nuts and bolts and engineering rather than those test you quoted?

My opinion IS based on engineering, pure and simple, backed by other engineers who work at Edmunds, Kelly and the Automotive Engineers Society. By "trade rags", I don't mean Car and Driver or Auto Trend garbage reporting. The Titan does not have as big a binder as ANY of the Big 3. Nor does it have as much HP. Nor does it have as much curb weight.

Insufficient HP + inadequate binders + light construction = OVER-RATED CAPACITY.

My opinion is also based on decades of truck use, abuse and repair. Ford, Chev and Dodge have always under-rated their trucks, at least so far as construction is concerned. You may have hauled 2500 lbs in your Titan once, but I can't even begin to count the number of times I've overloaded my 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton Dodges and had them hold up time and time again. Ditto the Fords and Chevs I've had around here.

Anyway, I'm out of this one. To the original poster: Good luck with whatever you end up with. If it were me though, I'd really be looking at something else like a Toy or Detroit Iron.

Rod

dyates":rq0o3m0u said:
Occasionally overweight......... :lol:

:lol: :lol: Yeah, I hear ya. I used to get my livestock mineral from a place about 8 hours south of me. I didn't have a decent flat deck trailer, just my C&C 3500 with a flat deck. The neighbors all used the same mineral, so I'd run down every few weeks and drag back 5 or 6000 lbs of mineral. I never had any issues, but if anyone had cut in front of me, they were goners :lol2:

Rod

Latest posts