nieghbors cows in my pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
yeah yeah...i know..but now its my turn.

they been there 6 mos or so..older cpl dont work..nice enough.

thier daughter brings out 3 cows and a steer and puts em on 4 ac in front of their house. they been there maybe 2 mos and they been in my past 4 time s at least. these people are sposed to be big names in the cattle biz and the daughter tells me she been on a cattle ranch her whole life...now it took em 3 days to git a cow back in thier own past. i had to tell em to staple the fence to the ground and walk em thru. now i dont know how yall do it but me and the wife can get a calf back in by ourselves usually. these pople brag about being cattle folk like it makes em a big shot. they had to bring in 3 horses and still couldnt get one of em on the trlr...seriuosly?
i guess a cowboy hat dont make ya a cowboy...
i aint no cowboy now thats fer sure..but my fence hold cows and i can dam sure git em home if i gotta.
gary

You can also tell if a person is a real cowboy by his/her boots. If the person is a cowboy, the poop is on the outside.

sounds to me like the daughter had better learn how to get cows in and fix fence.if they are very elderly they may not can get the cattle back.but im not there so i dont know.

bigbull338":2rh2igtf said:
sounds to me like the daughter had better learn how to get cows in and fix fence.if they are very elderly they may not can get the cattle back.but im not there so i dont know.
that was exactly my initail thought

even the dad was bitchin bout her...its back in. the folks aint that old..maybe mid 50's. they can do it..they all talk like theyre big time ranchers but idk fer sure..dont look like nothin but dumb to me

gary

I helped an old couple out years back. Their youngest was out West somewhere on a ranch working. I brought their cows to my farm, got them bred, culled, calved and returned the cows pregnant after two calvings. In that time they got some health issues resolved, fences repaired and back on their feet. With that said, their son came to help haul the cows home, he might have been working on a ranch (found out later a turkey farm) but he wouldn't have been qualified to scoop poop on our farm. My youngest daughter, about 15 then finally told him to go sit on the back steps, her and I would load the trailers. Because they were his parents and he was raised around cattle his whole life didn't give him "cow sense". This might be the daughter's problem.

dieselbeef":2a3q3k7x said:
even the dad was bitchin bout her...its back in. the folks aint that old..maybe mid 50's. they can do it..they all talk like theyre big time ranchers but idk fer sure..dont look like nothin but dumb to me

gary
Did you tell them about this site... sound like they got all the credentials :p

hell yeah..theyd fit right in with this bunch...

i wanna know who owns a cowboy hat on here that uses it werking cows

im changin my sig too...

hey theyre nice enough... and its okay if its a day or 2..but they didnt do anything about it for probly the first 4 days..then missed it twice in 2 weeks while it keeps going right back into my pasture..the thing that gits me is they stand there while the cow paces the fence to get back in and do nothin...right after they just got done telling me how she was born and raised on a a ranch and been round cows all my life blah blah
right after she told me that i asked her if they expected that cow to go back thru the fence into the dustbowl they were standing in or if she figured it would rather stay in my pasture full of belly deep green grass?

my wife wanted us to go show em how it was done...we get ours back thru the fence in the open pastures when were weaning or whatever just walking...BUT THEN WE FIX THE FENCE..part of the equation they seem to have missed out on. btw..they own the fence...

4 trucks and trlrs..3 horses..6 people..plus the folks that own the place....and they had to wait for the steer to walk back thru....talk about entertianment

chippie":3nn7rz73 said:
You can also tell if a person is a real cowboy by his/her boots. If the person is a cowboy, the poop is on the outside.
And their truck tires, entrances to the house, dogs smell like cow manure half the time, etc etc..

dieselbeef":2n2kxem9 said:
be nice yeah..theyd fit right in with this bunch...

i wanna know who owns a cowboy hat on here that uses it werking cows

im changin my sig too...
Every day, this one was silver when I bought it, now it's cow pie colored. My 2 year old wont get out of bed in the morning without his, thinks he's naked without it, been like that since he started walking at 8 months old.

i ask since i rarely wear one..i do..but not often..mostly when i need the shade on the tractor or something...

I have a friend like that..she is forever talking the talk but let me tell ya you gotta set a path in stone if you expect her to walk any of it! She did grow up on a farm "around" cows her whole life, in fact her father is one of the most respected and trusted cattlemen in these parts, but she is the most ignorant person I've ever seen around a cow. It is a good laugh if you got the time!

Makes you wonder what their feeding and do they expect the fence to fix itself?

I wear a ballcap for the breeding route and then a cowboy hat for the rest of the day even if I'm farming that day. I can't hardly sort cows without my cowboy hat in my hand... works like a charm.
I don't know your neighbors so I can't speak for them but I do know that it is really hard to go back and forth from working cattle in thousand acre pastures to working in five acre pastures because I've been doing just that for a few years. Things that are the only way to get anything done in a big pasture like going in horseback and sticking a rope on something do nothing but cause problems in a small setting. Horses and dogs(not always but...) tend to run stuff through the fence in smaller settings. Things that work really well in a smaller setting are a joke in a big pasture...
I would think that they'd fix the fence if for no other reason than to be good neighbors but again, the big ranch mind-set is to tend fences once a year and sort out what went where whenever you gather and since all of the neighbors are on the same page it works. I have fences here in my lower pastures that stuff crawls through a few times a year and gets out into my neighbors walnuts. When it gets out of hand I have to patch some but mostly, "It'll get fixed in fencing season" and everyone understands. :D

this just went on a bit too long....

crazy girl we must know the same people. i know the names of the parents round here are old school and are well into the cattle biz..the parents and the daughter are big time name droppers tho...that stuff kindsa irks me ya know...impress me with yer actions not yer yappin....but the daughter and her brothers didnt impress me....anyways..looks like they put some stays in the fence and the steers back in...fer now

garuy