Nice steer calf, 42 days old...need advice

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasShooter

Reaction score
Hello All,
I had to put the momma cow down yesterday. Typically don't have this issue and the last time I did, I kept the calf in the pasture. The calf lived but was stunted...pop belly, etc. until I sold at the sale barn. My question is...does anyone have any advice on this issue?
1. Do I take to the sale barn and sell as is? Really nice calf but I have never sold a calf this small...guessing 125lbs+
2. Is there a way to feed and raise it where it won't be stunted? I don't have a means to bottle feed everyday, so it would have to be another type supplement or option.
3. I don't have cow that would adopt the calf
4. ??

Thanks to all responses in advance.

Still gotta bottle feed it until you get it somewhere. You don't want to get it to the sale barn dehydrated and in bad shape. But yes. If you can't feed it, get it sold.

M-5":2a0swg07 said:
Sell at barn today and your money ahead
+1

We tried helping two calves along this spring and wound up losing them. First calf heifers, one couldn't make enough milk, the other had teat problems. Old lady tried bottle feeding one and the other was robbing milk, so I left him in herd. They made it about two months or so. Neither one survived. I wish I had brought them both to the salebarn.

You may be surprised at how much he brings. I sold some heifers about that size a few months ago, and I know at least one of them brought $5.00 per pound.

I was one of those "suckers" who bought one of those bottle babies a couple years ago. Pot bellied, stunted growth, couldn't sell him fast enough.

Now, what does that say about our health as a society when so many choose feeding formula vs. breastfeeding?

I sold a 10 day old calf right off his mom (brahman bullcalf) about a month ago. I got $750 for him. You could probably get at least that much if he is a nice calf.

Hello,
Just an update for everyone...the calf weighed 150 lbs. and brought 4.20 lbs. for total of $630.
Thanks for the recommendations and advice...it definitely was the right decision.