Nice Hereford Bull (4 year old)

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
I thought this was a very nice Hereford bull bred by the Deewall's in Coldwater, KS. This photo was taken coming out of last winter. He's a four year old.

JH

GoldenAdvance550Large.jpg

Keren":1ogv1ons said:
I like him

What do you think of HIS head. To me at least THAT is the kind of head that could be a little bully-er, and it's on a 4yr old

BTW I like the bull.

Pretty good looking bull.
Only thing about him I'm not too sure I like is his eye set and lack of pigment. Other then that a really nicely muscled bull.

I like him too, but he looks young for a 4yr old, which is probably a good thing.
I sure hope his babes do not come out with those horns LOL OUCH... :p Just trying to lighten things up. ;-)

3waycross":elgb4hwl said:
Keren":elgb4hwl said:
I like him

What do you think of HIS head. To me at least THAT is the kind of head that could be a little bully-er, and it's on a 4yr old

BTW I like the bull.

Yup, its one of the few things I would like to improve on this bull. Another would be his tail setting.

He is outstanding in most other traits.

Aaron":3gr6y862 said:
He would be a welcomed addition to my heifer pasture. :cowboy:

He is a 4 yr old, why just heifers Aaron , why not not on your older cows ? How do you know he is calving ease from a pic ?

Not judging, just trying to ask questions and learn.. :)

hillsdown":1onvjzoo said:
Aaron":1onvjzoo said:
He would be a welcomed addition to my heifer pasture. :cowboy:

He is a 4 yr old, why just heifers Aaron , why not not on your older cows ? How do you know he is calving ease from a pic ?

Look at the head.....small and tapered. The theory is that the small (non blockish) head is less likely too get stuck in the birth canal thus is "theoretically" going to have less calving problems than one with a big square "pallet head". This getting awful "old school" but it probably has more than a little merit. He just has the look of a heifer bull about him.....and that doesn't mean he couldn't work on cows, just that they shouldn't need to be babied like that.

Is anybody else weirded out by his horns? I find myself turning my head back and forth like a dog. I suppose if I did it long enough, the horns would straighten. Other than that I like him, I"m not too thrilled about his head and tailset.

the only thing that worries me about the head, is culprit back between his back legs... small set ...but it still may been cool during that pic,.................... but the rest of him is fantastic

he is a fine looking bull.i dont like the way his horns are set.id weight them down a tad more.an he does look at tad small between his back legs.

bigbull338":3tuq7nso said:
he is a fine looking bull.i dont like the way his horns are set.id weight them down a tad more.an he does look at tad small between his back legs.
you can cut them back a few inches at a angle.

I like him; I just can't have a horned bull here.

Wish there were bulls like that to pick from down here. I'm having all kinds of trouble finding a hereford that even looks average.

cypressfarms":1wrt967w said:
I like him; I just can't have a horned bull here.

Wish there were bulls like that to pick from down here. I'm having all kinds of trouble finding a hereford that even looks average.
if the horns did'nt bother you , we got one of the nations top hereford breeders a few miles from me. Glenn and Perry Debter

jhambley":2y3k3pvf said:
I thought this was a very nice Hereford bull bred by the Deewall's in Coldwater, KS. This photo was taken coming out of last winter. He's a four year old.

JH

GoldenAdvance550Large.jpg
Take a breath, relax, and just "observe" this bull with out being picky, picky, picky for a minute.

NOW - without being 'overly' critical, this is a heck of a bull - PHENOTYPICALLY! I agree that there are a few insignificant traits that could be more desirable. But most of them are not major faults. Look at the overall "PROFIT" factors that he can bring to a herd of just average beef cows - Hereford OR Angus. Strong back, smooth shoulder blending into good, deep spring of rib with good capacity (ease of calving in spite of a slightly "horny" head), wide muzzle, deep flank, good length of body, fine hindquarters (tail hugs Round muscle down toward hocks). Even from this side view, he shows good width of loin.
He appears to stand a little close at his hocks and hind feet. I would like to see a smoother tail setting. I would also like to see more pigmentation around his eyes (for helping to avoid pink-eye problems).
This type of Hereford bull mated to comparable quality Angus Cows is what will make terrific Black Baldies! The heterosis qualities which this mating protocol should produce is what will make the producer - PROFIT!

DOC HARRIS

I would also like to see more pigmentation around his eyes (for helping to avoid pink-eye problems).

OK, now I am confused. I thought pigmentation was to help prevent eye cancer which was a big problem in herfs before ? How can it prevent pinkeye ??????? :?

hillsdown":194eadt4 said:
I would also like to see more pigmentation around his eyes (for helping to avoid pink-eye problems).

OK, now I am confused. I thought pigmentation was to help prevent eye cancer which was a big problem in herfs before ? How can it prevent pinkeye ??????? :?
i wanted too refresh myself alittle about this and looky what i done ran across, recognize any of the names :cowboy: http://65.162.96.119/resources/PDF/4-EyeSelection.pdf

Latest posts