Nice Hereford Bull (4 year old)

Help Support CattleToday:

100_0124.JPG
Four year old Hereford bull at work. He is on the Southern Colorado short grass prarie. He is wintered on grass and a little cake.

Nice bull but he doesn't resemble much the first one posted her as far as condition goes. He does however look a lot like the bulls a friend of mine over by Ordway runs.

This bull has been with cows for about 45 days. Look at the difference in the grass. I would bet these bulls have been raised in a lot different country. Guarantee you if first bull was raised in the same country as mine he wouldnt be that fat. We are East of Walsenburg similar to Ordway same type of grass. He isn't thin and will get a lot of cows bred.

jm1234":v79oipf1 said:
100_0124.JPG
Four year old Hereford bull at work. He is on the Southern Colorado short grass prarie. He is wintered on grass and a little cake.

Nice looking bull jm1234, looks like he's held up well in your rough country. Sure has some funny looking chicken scratches on his hip. ;-) :D

mnmtranching":oz6iq1xa said:
Yup, he has come off feed, hard feed. I can almost see him panting, waddling around trying his darndest to get up on a cow. Senseless to put this much weight on breeding stock, cows or bulls. No! this is NOT a herd bull. After a lifetime experience around cattle and seeing thousands come and go under my watch I can tell you this is not a cattle mans bull. :roll:
Didn't say I didn't like him, we all like fleshy animals. Just that he has NO value as breeding stock.
But good for two things.
a, To impress the Forum experts.
b, bring top price for kill.

Since you are the expert,would you please post a halfdozen of those overfat dead in the pasture bulls.

Us mortals need pictures to keep us from killing with a feed pail. If there are calfs from this bull should we tear up the papers or just beat them to death with a feed bucket to stop the bloodline 8)

Thanks Ned. I understand what mnmtranching is saying. I remember old timers always warning about overly fat bulls. I have seen fat bulls turned out in pasture with other bulls. A lot of times the other bulls will fight and run the fat bull off. Before long the fat bull will start to lose his condition, and will not get many cows bred. It all depends on your environment. Things have changed a lot a lot of ranches were much larger in the past. A lot of people raise cattle more as a hobby than a business. Different people have different objectives. You can turn out a fat bull on lush pasture and get along fine, but turn him out on a large pasture especially during a bad year with ten other bulls, and you will have problems. Like Kit Pharo says Bulls have to fit their environment. We have had trouble in the past with some bulls maintaining condition during breeding season. Used to buy some bulls around Amarillo Texas that did really well in our environment. The bull I posted I bought from Ned Jr. just my idea of a bull ready for work. Sure I could have fed him harder made him bigger, but what for? He breeds a lot of cows, and maintains his condition year round. As far as an investment he does what he is supposed to do.

Things have changed a lot a lot of ranches were much larger in the past. A lot of people raise cattle more as a hobby than a business. Different people have different objectives. You can turn out a fat bull on lush pasture and get along fine, but turn him out on a large pasture especially during a bad year with ten other bulls, and you will have problems. Like Kit Pharo says Bulls have to fit their environment.

The Deewall herd genetics were developed by Jane Deewall's father Franklin Nash. His ranch is in Canyon City, Colorado just a few miles from you I believe. I visited the ranch last fall to pick up some heifers and can tell you their cattle do extremely well on that short grass of yours.

I own a paternal half brother to this bull, selected as a weanling. Kernsie has seen progressive photos of my bull from the day I picked him up. He's now a three year old and I can certainly vouch for his easy doability on the brome and fescue pastures of Kansas.

JH

The only thing I said about the first bull was in reference to the post that said my bull didnt have the same condition as the first. I understand what mnmtranching is talking about in regard to bulls with too much condition. Im just talking about what I have experienced personally. I did buy this bull from Ned Jr. and he has worked very well for me. I wouldn't have mentioned the first bull if it wasn't for the post citing the difference in condition. The one difference I do see is the grass they are standing in.

jm1234":3t1hrt1s said:
The only thing I said about the first bull was in reference to the post that said my bull didnt have the same condition as the first. I understand what mnmtranching is talking about in regard to bulls with too much condition. Im just talking about what I have experienced personally. I did buy this bull from Ned Jr. and he has worked very well for me. I wouldn't have mentioned the first bull if it wasn't for the post citing the difference in condition. The one difference I do see is the grass they are standing in.
that right there should have been enough for the posts not to have gone in the direction it took,

The one difference I do see is the grass they are standing in

Now that can open a new can of worms. True I have a endency to agree, but I have seen cows almost starve on lush grass that was so washy that there wasn't a lot of food value in it. One of the big questions though on this short grass country is if the cows have to pack a sack lunch because they have to travel so far to get a full belly.