Nice forum/rude forum

Help Support CattleToday:

Considering the "pumped full" comment you made, I'm surprised you got any help at all. I noticed you left that part out while talking about how rude they were. That was by far the rudest thing on that entire thread.

TennesseeTuxedo":y1zl4ij9 said:
Thank you Grit.

I didn't think they were all that rude and I've seen the same or worse on this forum.

My :2cents:
That's what I was thinking. Kind of funny to see posts on ranchers from people that used to post here but don;t see anymore.
Paraphrased "Diplomacy is being able to tell someone to go to he77 so that they look forward to the trip"

TennesseeTuxedo":374ksbfa said:
Thank you Grit.

I didn't think they were all that rude and I've seen the same or worse on this forum.

My :2cents:

+1 more.

From what I read, they offered up some very good advice, asked pointed questions in order to better help out and had some good suggestions.

In the 12 years I've been on these boards, I have seen far worse "behavior" here than there (except for the 'political bull' section).

I mean no disrespect to you.

Pardon me for even bringing this up. I just thought I would drop a compliment to this forum. I was very general and didn't even mention the other site. I just thought I would say, "thanks for this one." But after some investigation, it appears some didn't feel they were rude after all. Ok. Someone even mentioned comparing threads. We may have to call in CSI before it's over.

Someone here even mentioned that I left out a comment about being "pumped up." I still don't get it. Here is what I wrote there:
"It seems like things have changed. I guess I get my cow care from thinking back on my grandfather's operation. He had a herd of 15 black Angus. On one hand, he would have put a hospital bed in the barn if he thought it would have helped a sick cow, but he didn't vaccinate, worm, and he put out salt blocks. My father says, however, that his cows always calved within a short time frame every year, and although he lost a few here and there over 50 years, he doesn't remember any major, ongoing issues.

These days, it seems like if one doesn't keep stuff pumped in them, they can barely function."

I just used that as a figure of speech. I didn't realize it meant something insulting in the cattle industry, and still aren't quite sure. I feel like the comedian on the Ed Sullivan Show in the 60s who gave the finger to the audience, but didn't know what it meant. He was just trying to be funny.

I can think of two instances in the last few weeks in my neck of the woods where the word "pumped" was used for humor. One guy at work got married, and another guy commented, "He's got a beautiful wife, but he'll have to keep her pumped full of money to keep her happy."My daughter was meeting her friend's grandpa for the first time recently, and her friend told her, "Oh, don't be nervous around him, he keeps everybody pumped full of jokes all the time."
So, it just came out when I wrote that. Nothing bad intended.

herofan":1q31vjko said:
Someone even mentioned comparing threads. We may have to call in CSI before it's over.

:lol2: That's good! I like that. :D

I feel like the comedian on the Ed Sullivan Show in the 60s who gave the finger to the audience, but didn't know what it meant. He was just trying to be funny.

I like your sense of humor, its a good theing, and a must if you're going to run cows.

Once you explained why you chose to use the word "pumped", it made more sense as to why you used it. I understand, I get it. I'm not holding it against you.

One of the guys over there at Rancher's tried to explain why there was such a negative reaction to the use of that word.
In the cattle industry/business ----- animal agriculture industry/business it connotates something really negative. The general public hears the word "pumped" when refrencing animals as antibiotic,hormone filled, bad-for-your-health, cruelly treated, factory-farmed animals. The food animal industry is under constant scrutiny.

Unfortunately for you, you had no idea that that word would be recieved so badly. What you meant when you used that word, obviously was NOT what they thought you meant. You did NOT mean any harm by it.

Just let it go. (said calmly, like 2 friends having coffee together)

Written words are difficult sometimes, in that we cannot hear tones of voice, see facial expressions or body language, therefore sometimes things go awry.

I too have said a few things, over the years, that were the absolute wrong thing and not meant it to be. Its good to have a sense of humor about it and move on.

I hope you are able to resolve your breed-back issue. It could be an STD or just really poor fertility issues.

Whole topic is way too dramatized. Truth be told the OP didn't mean anything and I bet my left nut that everyone who responded knew that. They simply wanted to "put him in his place". I wont say they were rude but they weren't being kind. With that being said I've done the same thing before. But that don't make it right.

I too hope you find your problem and get your program back on track.

As much as I'd like to say we're a kinder forum, that's not the case... Just look up any thread from Cowgirl8 and you'll see plenty of obnoxious behavior... NCliz, Sirloin, and whatever the username of that girl was at a convent of sorts calling the leader "Father".

the apparent difference between R.net and here, is that both sides can vent freely over there, while here it seems to be one-sided.

I read that thread.. Brad S didn't go out of his way to sugar coat anything, but he was speaking truthfully.

Best recommendation from me is to listen to what they said (and it was said here too).. Get a STD test on the cows/bull, and a mineral panel done... If both of those are good, the cows are not.. if the mineral panel comes back with serious deficiencies, the fastest way to get back in the game is still to sell and replace the cows, though that's up to you, but at least you'll know why things aren't working as they should.

Nesikep":l7q2aad8 said:
As much as I'd like to say we're a kinder forum, that's not the case... Just look up any thread from Cowgirl8 and you'll see plenty of obnoxious behavior... NCliz, Sirloin, and whatever the username of that girl was at a convent of sorts calling the leader "Father".

the apparent difference between R.net and here, is that both sides can vent freely over there, while here it seems to be one-sided.

I read that thread.. Brad S didn't go out of his way to sugar coat anything, but he was speaking truthfully.

Best recommendation from me is to listen to what they said (and it was said here too).. Get a STD test on the cows/bull, and a mineral panel done... If both of those are good, the cows are not.. if the mineral panel comes back with serious deficiencies, the fastest way to get back in the game is still to sell and replace the cows, though that's up to you, but at least you'll know why things aren't working as they should.

Nesi, does this have to be done by a vet or can a producer draw a blood sample and send it to a private lab?

I drew the blood myself, put it in the vacutainer the vet provided me with, and drop it back off at the vet's place... I think you can send it in directly too... been a while since I've done it, I did change my mineral program (er, perhaps started would be a better word) and have seen positive results... it's not cheap, but if I'm not culling my top producing cows because they're open, that's worth a lot too

JMJ Farms":3qpa1mrs said:
Whole topic is way too dramatized. Truth be told the OP didn't mean anything and I bet my left nut that everyone who responded knew that. They simply wanted to "put him in his place". I wont say they were rude but they weren't being kind. With that being said I've done the same thing before. But that don't make it right.

I too hope you find your problem and get your program back on track.

I thought the same thing. I just thought it weird that a newbie comes in with a question and they respond that way, but maybe that made it even easier. They felt they had no connection and wanted to "put me in my place" when they knew all along what i meant.

Workinonit Farm":3qpa1mrs said:
herofan":3qpa1mrs said:
Someone even mentioned comparing threads. We may have to call in CSI before it's over.

:lol2: That's good! I like that. :D

I feel like the comedian on the Ed Sullivan Show in the 60s who gave the finger to the audience, but didn't know what it meant. He was just trying to be funny.

I like your sense of humor, its a good theing, and a must if you're going to run cows.

Once you explained why you chose to use the word "pumped", it made more sense as to why you used it. I understand, I get it. I'm not holding it against you.

One of the guys over there at Rancher's tried to explain why there was such a negative reaction to the use of that word.
In the cattle industry/business ----- animal agriculture industry/business it connotates something really negative. The general public hears the word "pumped" when refrencing animals as antibiotic,hormone filled, bad-for-your-health, cruelly treated, factory-farmed animals. The food animal industry is under constant scrutiny.

Unfortunately for you, you had no idea that that word would be recieved so badly. What you meant when you used that word, obviously was NOT what they thought you meant. You did NOT mean any harm by it.

Just let it go. (said calmly, like 2 friends having coffee together)

Written words are difficult sometimes, in that we cannot hear tones of voice, see facial expressions or body language, therefore sometimes things go awry.

I too have said a few things, over the years, that were the absolute wrong thing and not meant it to be. Its good to have a sense of humor about it and move on.

I hope you are able to resolve your breed-back issue. It could be an STD or just really poor fertility issues.

Very true post. I do have a sense of humor about it, but as you wrote, we can't hear tones of voice and see facial expressions from written words, and as JMJ Farms wrote, it was way too dramatized. I assumed both places would get a few comments, but as I wrote earlier, the CSI has been called in. As a matter of fact, I don't know why I'm still rambling about it. :?: :lol2:

They may have been taking a few shots at the new kid, but as I recall the users on this site pretty much gave you the exact same advice as the folks on the other site. I'm curious as to if you are going to take action or just keep moaning about the same problem (I don't mean for that to be rude, I would like to know your plan of action). Remember that failing to make a decision is in fact making a decision.

herofan":2cznibxp said:
Very true post. I do have a sense of humor about it, but as you wrote, we can't hear tones of voice and see facial expressions from written words, and as JMJ Farms wrote, it was way too dramatized. I assumed both places would get a few comments, but as I wrote earlier, the CSI has been called in. As a matter of fact, I don't know why I'm still rambling about it. :?: :lol2:

Just remember the name of the joint "Rancher.net.....for serious cattle producers". They got no time for us small guys who to them don't take it serious enough.

TennesseeTuxedo":ennd8f5i said:
Must be where CG8 migrated to.

CG8 would be laughed out of there so fast it would make your head spin.

I have worked for and been around western ranchers all my life. For the most part some of the nicest people you would ever know. But they don't tend to sugar coat anything.

Latest posts