NH TL80 oil pressure

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo

Reaction score
The engine oil pressure light has come on and is staying on. Would it be a sensor or an oil pump gone bad?

Last year it started coming on momentarily when I was going up a hill, then go back off. Now its started staying on. The oil was a little low....in between the add and the full mark. I filled it on up, but the light still stays on.

Any thoughts?

I'd either get a mechanical gauge put on it right quick and/or replace the sensor.. I have had the sensors go bad on a JD950 and come on when things were fine. No way to know if there's a serious problem at this point.

Nesikep":19xgazri said:
I'd either get a mechanical gauge put on it right quick and/or replace the sensor.. I have had the sensors go bad on a JD950 and come on when things were fine. No way to know if there's a serious problem at this point.

Exactly. You need to verify right now. Low oil pressure is serious. Lethal. Get a mechanical gauge or replace the sensor before you use the tractor at all.

Thanks guys.....The sensor will be somewhere in the vicinity of the oil filter? I'm not a top notch mechanic, but I can make do when it comes to some things

If you find something threaded into the block that looks like it, remove it.. if you get oil, that's probably the piece.. I'd put a mechanical gauge in and fire it up.. I'd expect 20 psi or better.

It is extremely rare that oil pumps fail.. they're a simple design that's been proven over time

Nesikep....I gotta new oil pressure sensor ordered and will be here Wednesday. Found where it was btw.....it was hidden behind a couple of hoses, not far from the filter.
So tell me where do you screw in the oil pressure gauge? There is a plug to the left of the sensor about 8 inches over that takes an allen wrench.
and another one down lower about in line with the dipstick. Do you just get a regular gauge and screw in to one of those plugs?
Thanks again.

The kit that comes with a gauge will have several fittings for universal applicatio that you can screw into block . I highly recommend getting one with copper line instead of the poly one you can run both if you want just have to find a port.

Atimm693":t52wcuqi said:
Pumps seldom fail, but the pickup can clog or come loose and suck air.

My first thought.

Check it with a mechanical gauge and go from there.

I picked up an oil pressure test kit from harbor freight today....thanks Atimm693. Screwed it in where the sensor went. Fired it up and the pressure went to about 60 psi at 2000 rpm's and about 50 psi at an idle.

So I think all is well with the oil pump.

Banjo":3ioelklk said:
I picked up an oil pressure test kit from harbor freight today....thanks Atimm693. Screwed it in where the sensor went. Fired it up and the pressure went to about 60 psi at 2000 rpm's and about 50 psi at an idle.

So I think all is well with the oil pump.
Yep

Latest posts