NH disc mowers

Help Support CattleToday:

hayrack

Reaction score
I am looking at a new H6750 NH disc mower. Does anyone have one or this design? I just started looking and I am going to look at a Vermeer also but like some of the features on the NH. I got a cash price of 8495.00 on it. All I know is I do not want another fluid filled cutter bar.

hayrack":3l421aj5 said:
I am looking at a new H6750 NH disc mower. Does anyone have one or this design? I just started looking and I am going to look at a Vermeer also but like some of the features on the NH. I got a cash price of 8495.00 on it. All I know is I do not want another fluid filled cutter bar.
NH makes a good product
I personally don't have a disc mower but I have a 1411 NH disc Mo CO and I really am pleased with it and I also have a hesston 1320 disc MO CO

You may find it interesting to look on tarver . They sell Fella geard riven and shaft driven.I have a SM206 gear driven found their site to look up parts and was very impressed with their shaft driven models.They look pretty simple to work on moreso than gear driven.NH also makes a good product so i've been told but i'd say Fella should be alot cheaper if that matters to you and from what i've seen pretty sound.

lavacarancher":2c2o8v65 said:
If you're gonna spend that much why don't you get a Kuhn?
I have a Kuhn now and it is junk. I will never own anything they make again. I have a GMD 700 ll HD that is coming apart and prolly has 1500 acres on it. I bought it new in 2003. There are more out there doing the same thing. I had a Kuhn before that was 17 years old and was still good when I traded it off. It was a 66 HD and I bought it new also. I thought Kuhn was the one but no more. They have cheapened them or they have a bad design. The metal has stress cracks in it. Cutter bar has cracks and leaking all shoes have cracks and support on the back of the cutter bar has cracks in it. I had not had it long when a piece that goes to the gearbox broke. I replaced it. It came off the frame and held the cutter bar more or less. I am going to look at a vermeer also. I just dont want anymore fluid filled cutterbars.

Boy I hate to hear that.I just bought a Kuhn GMD500 about a month ago.Around here all the farmers swear about Vicon and I believe Gehl (might be wrong about 2nd one).

We had a 616 NH mower and it had a fluid filled cutterbar. Did NH change there design. As for the Vermeer I don't think you can go wrong with them.

LaneFarms":19197kck said:
We had a 616 NH mower and it had a fluid filled cutterbar. Did NH change there design. As for the Vermeer I don't think you can go wrong with them.
I dont know how long they made the 600 series but Kuhn used to make the cutter bars for them. The salesman told me that NH has been making their own cutter bar for 7 years now. They have individual units now or a segmented cutter bar but then each unit has oil in it. The vermeer has grease instead of oil. The NH has a shaft drive but it is coupled at each unit and is not a continous shaft. The discs has a coupling that will shear if a disc hits something so damage will not be done to something else. They say that is a quick fix if you do that. I do like the idea of using grease instead of oil on the units. On the NH each unit has a little dip stick to check the level of oil. Do you have a Vermeer now?

I've had a NH 617 for 3 years now with no complaints. I've mowed some rough CRP with it too.

The 616 also had each unit independent of each other and we got good use of it. It lasted 10 years only having to replace the drive shaft and the bushings at the pivot point. As for the vermeer we now have 2 of them and so far have not had any problems with either. Take a look at the trailed mowers. The last one we bought is a trailed mower and boy can you put some on the ground.

Lanefarms, what width was your three point mower and what width is your trailed mower now? I've been debating the pros and cons of a trailed mower or moco.

I have the New Holland 1409 Discbine and have no probs with the cutterbar. I had heard that Khun had made the cutterbars for NH in the past and there were some probs with the cutterbars. But I had a Deere 1360 Disc MOco before that and the cutterbar was made by Khun I think and I had that for 16 years with no problems.

our 3pt mower is 9ft and the trailed mower is 10ft. I didn't see the need for a moco, just more moving parts to replace. Thought about getting a caddie for the 3pt mower. The price worked out about the same for 3pt with caddie or the trailed mower. Really like the way the TM floats from both ends compared to the 3pt models.

hayray":1lc14ory said:
I have the New Holland 1409 Discbine and have no probs with the cutterbar. I had heard that Khun had made the cutterbars for NH in the past and there were some probs with the cutterbars. But I had a Deere 1360 Disc MOco before that and the cutterbar was made by Khun I think and I had that for 16 years with no problems.
The one you had for 16 years was an older model like the one I had for 17 years. They have either lowered their standards or have a bad design now. If I knew I could get one that would last like my first one I would buy it in a minute. Going to look at the Vermeers.

LaneFarms":30lw3ug7 said:
The 616 also had each unit independent of each other and we got good use of it. It lasted 10 years only having to replace the drive shaft and the bushings at the pivot point. As for the vermeer we now have 2 of them and so far have not had any problems with either. Take a look at the trailed mowers. The last one we bought is a trailed mower and boy can you put some on the ground.
What was the main reason for going to the Vermeer and not back with the NH? Do you like the Vermeer better now that you have had both.

I went with the Vermeer mainly due to the distance to the dealership, but after running them for a while I like how easy they are to pull. The NH we had was a 7ft one and it would try to pull the tractor sideways, the vermeer doesn't seem to have as much drag to it. The only drawback I have found with the vermeer is it tends to leave a streak of grass between the first two spinners due to them both spinning in the same direction.

LaneFarms":1ypem03p said:
our 3pt mower is 9ft and the trailed mower is 10ft. I didn't see the need for a moco, just more moving parts to replace. Thought about getting a caddie for the 3pt mower. The price worked out about the same for 3pt with caddie or the trailed mower. Really like the way the TM floats from both ends compared to the 3pt models.

So even though the trailed mower is only a foot wider you can mow a lot more with it? I've been debating the pros and cons of getting a trailed mower or mower condition. My 9 foot 3point mower is nice for smaller fields but I also have lots of wide open fields I would like to be able to knock down quicker. I noticed the trailed mowers don't go up in size much bigger than the 3pt ones unless you jump to a mower conditioner. I'm not so sure I need a mower conditioner but I don't know bc I have never used one.

I have had both and I like my MOCOs alot better than just a mower but alot of it depend on what type of hay you are baling and how fast you want to get it baled up from time of mowing

I use a MOCO and I still use a tedder part of the time especially in early spring and late fall

on MOCOs I prefer hesston or NH the NH pulls a little harder than the Hesston
the ones I have are a 1320 Hesston and a 1411 NH the hesston has a 9'8" cut and the NH has a 10'4" cut

the 1340 hesston has a 13'9" cut and it has the center pivot tongue which I like because you can cut on either side of the tractor

Latest posts