NH disc mowers

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm sure the mocos are quite a bit higher in price? In one of the previous posts it made it sound like a trailed mower or moco of the same or similar size to the 3pt can mow faster? Why is this? Easier to make turns?

cre10":f2neu3vx said:
I'm sure the mocos are quite a bit higher in price? In one of the previous posts it made it sound like a trailed mower or moco of the same or similar size to the 3pt can mow faster? Why is this? Easier to make turns?

I can adjust the down pressure on mine making it easier to pull. Also with it being attached at both ends it doesn't bounce as bad even in rough fields. As far as the turns I hang them wide open but I did that with a 3pt also. I can cut close to 10 acres in an hour but that extra foot is probably making a big difference. Another thing to look at is the HP requirements, can you pull a 10 1/2' 3pt mower with a 60hp tractor.

I mow through a lot of rough areas and have to be careful or the spring clip breakaway pops out and I have to back up to pop it back in. Sometimes the smallest little bumps will pop it. So I lose a lot of time with just that. The tractor I mow with is about 130 horse and I wouldn't want anything longer than 9 foot on a 3 point with some of the hills I mow on! Having a 3pt and a pull behind would be nice for the best of both worlds with large and small fields.

I've got an older Vermeer 7120 discbine that's been thru the wringer and I'm tickled to death with it. They use a detergent grease in each pod on this one, as it warms up it's characteristics are similar to oil. Knocked a chunk out of the rubber rollers a few years ago, they were no longer available so Vermeer paid half the cost of installing steel rollers. Can't remember how old the machine was but it was wayyy out of warranty, plus I bought it second-hand. That impressed me. Only thing I've found it won't cut is high-tensile wire, that cost me $1100 in parts.

cfpinz":2hn9pgte said:
I've got an older Vermeer 7120 discbine that's been thru the wringer and I'm tickled to death with it. They use a detergent grease in each pod on this one, as it warms up it's characteristics are similar to oil. Knocked a chunk out of the rubber rollers a few years ago, they were no longer available so Vermeer paid half the cost of installing steel rollers. Can't remember how old the machine was but it was wayyy out of warranty, plus I bought it second-hand. That impressed me. Only thing I've found it won't cut is high-tensile wire, that cost me $1100 in parts.
What kind of damage did the wire do?

hayrack":2dn0fajg said:
cfpinz":2dn0fajg said:
What kind of damage did the wire do?

The wire didn't cause any serious damage per se, just made me replace a bunch of parts that needed replacing anyway. My slip clutch is obviously locked up, cut off a Ford 7600 before I could reach the lever. The h-t wire wrapped the outer 3 pods under and above the turtles. As I was trying to cut and pry the wire out, I broke the outer skid show with the prybar. It had worn thin over the years from dragging over rocks, etc. At that point I decided to replace all the skid shoes, wear plates and add the rock kit. Parts totalled $1100. Wire did not twist the main shaft or damage any pod internally. A couple years ago I ripped a quartz out of the ground with it that weighs well over 200lbs, chipped two blades, that's it. The rock is in my yard now.