NH 850 Round baler

Help Support CattleToday:

I have an 857(?) AutoWrap that I picked up pretty cheap. Had to do a little work on it - replace the floor chains and guides and a couple of bearings - but it works pretty good.

The only thing I don't like about it is it's a chain baler, not a belt baler. Folks tell me the chain balers just won't make a tight bale and neither will mine. It is set for the tighest bale possible but still produces a very loose bale.

Someone on the board here a few months back mentioned chain balers make just as tight a bale as a belt baler but I haven't found that to be the case. Maybe those huge springs on each side of the baler are worn out and have lost tension - I don't know. I just don't want to mess with them because they look dangerous.

Earl, you can take a link set out of the roller chain to get a tighter bale also. They usually stretch over time. I took a roller link set out of mine and it tightened bales right back up without adjust those big old springs you are talking about.

flaboy?":3hg57yrt said:
Earl, you can take a link set out of the roller chain to get a tighter bale also. They usually stretch over time. I took a roller link set out of mine and it tightened bales right back up without adjust those big old springs you are talking about.

I'll try that. Thanks for the info.

Never post on these machinery sites cause that's my husbands end of things on the farm. But i do know about the use of 850.
We've run 2 850NH baler. Both have probably seem many thousands of bales.
When i raked hay and my husband baled my rake did not have hydraulics. So many windrows in tight areas had hay stacks at the end :oops: . The baler sucked them up pretty good. Pretty big stacks to i might add. You know they are big when the raking tractor and rake can't get over it. So reverse, high gear and let 'er rip :eek: .
now i bale and i like it.
I'm not keen on the electric tie because ours gave us lots of grief and the selniod was expensive to replace. so we converted it to manual tie. Easy to use even for me.
Now no more hay stacks.
One 850 has an automatic oiler for the chains and that is nice. Except when the husband says "you forgot to shut the oiler off". We just use old oil in the oiler. Do our part for recycling.
Sometimes i have hard time getting the moisutre tester in the bale so i would say pretty tight bale

Latest posts