NH 271 Baler

Help Support CattleToday:

killingtime

Reaction score
Looking at buying an older NH 271 square baler. I haven't looked at it in person yet, but it looks to be in good shape from the pics. The guy says everything works on the baler, but the knife is bent from a stick that was run through the baler last year. I'm not familiar with these balers and I'm not sure what he's talking about when he says "knife". Can someone help me out? He has a ferguson 31 rake and he's wanting to sell the pair for $500. I don't know much but I don't think I can go too wrong for that price. Anything else I can look out for with these balers?

Thanks for the help.

The knife cuts the hay in lengths, it's at the top of the pickup reel all the way to the inside. The knife is in two sections, one of which is stationary in that area and the other is attached to the plunger and moves back and forth, cutting the hay. They're not overly expensive (check with your dealer first) and they are not that hard to put in. They must be shimmed accordingly, though. I'd be wary that there may be some other damage done to the plunger or chamber, those things can get expensive and frustrating real quick.

Dunno how you could 'bend' either of the knives without damaging the plunger also...
I think I would pass on it, Unless yer gittin it cheap and like workin on stuff

If you go look at it and it IS bent...Would ya post a picture on here?

Ok, I take back everything I said... Turns out ya can bend the stationary Knife on a NH baler :oops: Without wreckin anything else.

That guy who thought up the shear bolt was sure a smart sonofagun!

Took em out to sharpen, Put em back shimed to spec... Ran it at the shop, everything worked fine,
Went to start baling Monday, Pulled up to the first row, Fired up the baler, Put er in gear...Heard the biggest 'Bang" I never wanted hear come out of a Baler, as the shear pin broke,
Plunger knife HIT the stationary knife! :mad:
Bent the Knife AND the Bolts!

Took it out, went back to the shop, layed in on the anvil smacked it with a 4lb hammer...Good as new :D (I love problems that can be fixed with a hammer!)

Put it back in, with 1 less shim! Went to baling, never missed a beat!!