Nguni cattle pictures for interest.

Help Support CattleToday:

How much dock do you think you would get on those going thru the sale ring?

Sure good cattle though and i like the red Tuli bull a lot.

The best thing about them is they are so flatsided and narrow you can fax the calves to the salebarn savings loads on transport.

KNERSIE":3vhbiw3t said:
The best thing about them is they are so flatsided and narrow you can fax the calves to the salebarn savings loads on transport.
:clap: :lol2: :tiphat:

Hilarious, I will be using this description to talk to my neighbor about his contract heifers.

Thanks for sharing your photos Andybob. The biggest obstacle the sanga breeds face is the lackluster performance when compared to other Bos indicus x Bos taurus crosses. Tuli performed far below Brafords, Brangus, and Brahman at LSU.

KNERSIE":149soyyu said:

Laughing out loud......thanks for starting my day off right....

I just spent a couple hours reading a compilation of research projects on tuli, brahman crossed on angus and or hereford cows.

The Texas A&M and MARC were very favorable to the tuli cross. A&M showed little to no difference on weaning wt per 100#'s of cow weight between Tuli or Brahman with the tuli cow being approx 135# lighter mature wt.

The MARC projects saw similar results on weaning wt ratio's. Also on carcass data the results showed slightly less carcass data for the tuli / angus cross steers versus the straight angus steers. Data showed better data for the tuli sired steers over the straight hereford steers. The brahman sired steers were significantly below all others.

It would seem the reason for utilizing tuli crossbred cows would be if you were wanting to maintain good carcass characteristics when crossing on angus. Also from other reports the disposition rating is improved with the tuli sired cows.

Some of us in Texas either tried or know of folks that used the Tuli and Senepol breeds back in the 90s. Most of us found that the animals iust didnt seem to breed consistent. Offspring were all over place in size,color, and performance. You know what your gonna get with a F1 Braford or F1Brangus, these African breeds not so much.

houstoncutter":3qquaidi said:
Some of us in Texas either tried or know of folks that used the Tuli and Senepol breeds back in the 90s. Most of us found that the animals iust didnt seem to breed consistent. Offspring were all over place in size,color, and performance. You know what your gonna get with a F1 Braford or F1Brangus, these African breeds not so much.

So, even if they were more inconsistent, how did the best animals out of Tuli / Senepol cattle compare to the best Braford / Brangus?

I haven't seen any Tuli nor Nguni, but we did purchase a small group of Mashona calves and we have enjoyed them. They are gentle and do have unique herding instincts compared to other American breeds. They do browse like longhorns, but seem to be easier fleshing than longhorns and Corrientes and are similar in frame to them. I couldn't winter them with the beef cattle nor the longhorns because they were getting too fat. They are due to start calving in April, so I will know more by this fall. I suspect their performance will be similar to a longhorn, but they are polled and solid colored (black and red) and hopefully they will make productive low input momma cows. I have had good luck breeding longhorn cows to a charolais bull. We will see how well these crossbred, but hopefully they all settled to the Mashona bulls for the their first calves. If the crossed calves are also solid colored, it should work well. My charolais bulls will add the width to them.

Just got back from Costa Rica, They look alot like what we saw on the ride from Liberia to the the coast,not alot of green grass and I dont think they even get any rain until May.

WalnutCrest":vx06td3m said:
houstoncutter":vx06td3m said:

So, even if they were more inconsistent, how did the best animals out of Tuli / Senepol cattle compare to the best Braford / Brangus?

They did deliver on improving carcass quality in eared cattle, but not any better than better than the Brangus and Braford cattle. The Senepol seemed to be the best of the bunch. RA Brown Ranch did some crossing of Senepol x Simmental as a baseline breed for their Hotlander. I believe their were two more crosses involved in their Hotlander breed. The Tuli really just didn't cut it at all, maybe it was the import of genetics that just wernt that good...I guesss It boiled down to some folks to wonder why they wanted to go to the trouble of a new breed that wasn't any better than the average Brangus or Braford...Sorta like trying to reinvent the wheel.

Latest posts