NFU on Canadian Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
NFU Statement on USDA Decision to Open Border to Canadian Beef

KTIC 840 Rural Radio

Nebraska, US

WASHINGTON (Jan. 4, 2006) - National Farmers Union President Tom Buis made the following statement, following today's announced proposal from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to expand the list of allowable Canadian beef and cattle imports.

"I'm very disappointed the U.S. Department of Agriculture has decided to move forward in allowing additional cattle and beef products to be imported from Canada. U.S. cattle producers continue to have no assurance that Canada has its BSE problem under control and we expect USDA to prioritize the interests of U.S. cattle producers and consumers over the interests of re-opening beef trade with Canada.

"I am hopeful that the Secretary will use his authority to mitigate any negative economic impact this decision will have on U.S. cattle producers. Further, I encourage the department to fully implement mandatory country-of-origin labeling before implementing the rule regarding additional Canadian beef and cattle imports. Mandatory COOL is the only tool to protect the integrity of the U.S. beef industry if an additional BSE case is discovered within the Canadian herd."

kticam.com

Beef11":2lf2smr4 said:
when are they going to let canadian cattle in? other than for slaughter.

If the USDA can get its proposed rules past Congress they will probably try to let them in this summer-- anything born after March 1, 1999....They will publish these new rules on Tues the 9th--then have a public comment period-- and then try and get it by Congress- which I think may be a hard sell again....

They still haven't filled in the loopholes to take in the interests/concerns of the US cattle herd or US consumer.....