next question

Help Support CattleToday:

Regular pemethrin are ok, it's the "DDVP (Vapona®) organophosphate insecticide that's the problem causer with this stuff.
For a lot of the pour on type stuff there are long handled ladle type deals thta can be used to pour it. Got one out in the barn somewhere, haven;t used it in years since they now make dosage deals right in the bottle.

KNERSIE":2b2jynhp said:
Do not apply to animals under 6 months of age. Brahman or Brahman Cross cattle should not be treated, as they may show hypersensitivity to organophosphates

Guess we are never to old to learn new things, I didn't know that.

Caustic, why do you reckon tigers are so hot tempered? I would have thought the hereford in them would have a calming influence. I have seen a few gerts (through binoculors) at a neighbour's place that you have to hunt as there is no way you could ever get them loaded or penned. They won't even come for feed when people are around.

I haven't a clue but they can fight a cirle saw. Best momma cow's in the world . Used to own quite a few I got to old for them or wised up. Had one knock me out working them one day by myself came to about ten minutes later. I sold all 27 of them I had. Great cows in the pasture for the owner, smell one strange armpit and they head high, snot blowing, eyes rolled back in there head outa here.

I know of an unusual but effective way of worming cattle without having any facilities at all... I've only done this once to see if it really worked and it does, but i wouldn't make a habit out of it... Take a "super soaker" water gun, and mount your bottle of pour on onto it (the thread patterns actually match!), and use it to worm your cattle if you don't have the facilities.

BC":29dljllj said:
I believe the insecticide that cannot be used on Brahman influenced cattle was Warbex.

You are correct. I know from experience. About 20+ years ago we had full blood Brahma cows had my brother-law helping work them he thought they needed war-bex I did not read label or know different out of 25 had 16 sick had to call the vet in a hurry. Had to bath the Brahmas. The show was better than the county fair.

Texican":3fm8ueh4 said:
Since I've newly aquired this property, and fenced it in, I haven't built pens, or chutes yet. It is on the list for this year.
I do know the time is quickly approaching, when I'll need to "work" my two cows.

I know I won't be able to give them shots, but is there a spray on pest control, that I can use a pump up sprayer to apply? the cows are pretty tame, and often, while feeding I walk within a foot or two of them. they aren't skeery at all.

Texican

I have used the 60cc disposable syringes w/o a needle to squirt pour-on insecticides onto cows. The syringe allows you to give the correct dosage and will squirt several feet.

Brahmas have sweat glands and skin pores that other breeds do not have. I imagine they absorb toxins at a much higher rate and that is why there are warnings on labels. (?didn't know that about the warnings - we don't use any products like that) Also supposedly because of that "sweat" they are naturally more resistant to insects.

Can I suggest you have your manure tested before dosing for internal parasites and really observe if you need to use external pesticides? I hate to see people just dumping poisons on their animals without really needing to.

Generally speaking, the supply places in the south don't carry insecticides that can't be used on Brahman influenced cattle.. I can't remember ever seeing any. But always safer to read the label, just in case.

TheBullLady":l8z6jqa7 said:
Generally speaking, the supply places in the south don't carry insecticides that can't be used on Brahman influenced cattle.. I can't remember ever seeing any. But always safer to read the label, just in case.

I killed a dam fine very expensive Gert bull with fly spray dip, back when I was about 32.
Uncle was running about 250 head of the hateful beast.