next question

Help Support CattleToday:

Texican

Reaction score
Since I've newly aquired this property, and fenced it in, I haven't built pens, or chutes yet. It is on the list for this year.
I do know the time is quickly approaching, when I'll need to "work" my two cows.

I know I won't be able to give them shots, but is there a spray on pest control, that I can use a pump up sprayer to apply? the cows are pretty tame, and often, while feeding I walk within a foot or two of them. they aren't skeery at all.

There are pour on wormers and pour on insecticides, I like Ultra Boss for insecticide. When you first build your working facilitys don;t build them permanent to the point that they can;t be easily changed., you'll eventually figure out what works best for you and the cows. If you plan on alwasy staying at a smallish number of cows, see if one of the older dairys around has any sections of headlock stanchions. They were ussully built 3 to a section. The ones I like are opened and closed by one lever at the end and can be set to auto catch. The only real drawback to them is if you're trying to do something behind them, like AI, they can whip their butts from side to side faster then you can run back and forth with you're arm in their butt.
I've bought them from old dairys for 3-5 dollars a hole, but steel prices are up and they probably are worth more as scrap then that.

dun":6nemb0t9 said:
There are pour on wormers and pour on insecticides, I like Ultra Boss for insecticide. When you first build your working facilitys don;t build them permanent to the point that they can;t be easily changed., you'll eventually figure out what works best for you and the cows. If you plan on alwasy staying at a smallish number of cows, see if one of the older dairys around has any sections of headlock stanchions. They were ussully built 3 to a section. The ones I like are opened and closed by one lever at the end and can be set to auto catch. The only real drawback to them is if you're trying to do something behind them, like AI, they can whip their butts from side to side faster then you can run back and forth with you're arm in their butt.
I've bought them from old dairys for 3-5 dollars a hole, but steel prices are up and they probably are worth more as scrap then that.

Just to add to Dun's info I don't know what kind of cattle you have but you have to be careful with insectides on Brammer cattle.

Mr. dun, do you think those pour ons, would work thru a pump up sprayer?

Texican":3j2m7j78 said:

You have to control the dosage here Cowboy you fixin to end up with a train that has jumped the tracks.
You could easily have some very sick bovines on your hands. You need a mentor.

Texican":1jo9zhqj said:

Way to thick but could maybe be thinned down some. In the bubs I use Permectrin II mixed with diesel, that would go through a sprayer just fine. Don;t know about the pour on wormers, never have used them.

dun":g5fro551 said:
Texican":g5fro551 said:

No Mr., just dun, all lower case!

I'm sure you are much older than me, besides the fact, that I am asking alot of questions. I am sorry you don't appreciate the showing of respect. In the future, I'll try to be a bit more disrespectful. :D

actually, the Mr. was said tongue in cheek, after reading through several of your posts.

dun":1q1wv017 said:
Texican":1q1wv017 said:

Way to thick but could maybe be thinned down some. In the bubs I use Permectrin II mixed with diesel, that would go through a sprayer just fine. Don;t know about the pour on wormers, never have used them.

Do not use permectrin on Brimmers. There something about it on Brimmer calves I can't remember.
I know I killed a dam fine Gert Bull with fly spray.
http://www.mycattle.com/health/updates/ ... gement.cfm

both cows are Brangus, one of them showing a much stronger Brahma than the other.

I'm thinking since both cows are fairly tame, and will follow me, while I carry a bucket of rocks, lol, I could build just a chute, add the pen later.

I'm sure too, the local vet, should be able to advise me on doses, and application techniques.

Once again, I see my easy way, is by no means the best, or even safest way. thanks for your comments fellas.

Texican":s9e186ml said:
actually, the Mr. was said tongue in cheek, after reading through several of your posts.

Read them all and you won't regret it. I liked Caustic and Msscamp's too. There are others.

Texican":2750w4wb said:
both cows are Brangus, one of them showing a much stronger Brahma than the other.

I'm thinking since both cows are fairly tame, and will follow me, while I carry a bucket of rocks, lol, I could build just a chute, add the pen later.

I'm sure too, the local vet, should be able to advise me on doses, and application techniques.

Once again, I see my easy way, is by no means the best, or even safest way. thanks for your comments fellas.

Now there is a oxymoron tame Brangus. I got some of them to. Every one of them can get hotter than a firecracker and the all have matches to lite the fuse. If one brangus gets worked up all of them are.

Caustic Burno":2iea65ji said:
Texican":2iea65ji said:

Now there is a oxymoron tame Brangus. I got some of them to. Every one of them can get hotter than a firecracker and the all have matches to lite the fuse. If one brangus gets worked up all of them are.

LOL

maybe I'm prettier than you, and not as scary looking?

I have heard that about them, and believe me, when I do have to walk amoungst'em, I walk softly and carry a big stick. lol

I do know some history on the two cows I have, and they have been people safe through out their many years. ie worked, and fed.

SK-Surekill Brand Pyrethrin Plus Fly Spray
This page contains information on SK-Surekill Brand Pyrethrin Plus Fly Spray for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
SK-Surekill Brand Pyrethrin Plus Fly Spray Indications
Warnings and cautions for SK-Surekill Brand Pyrethrin Plus Fly Spray
Direction and dosage information for SK-Surekill Brand Pyrethrin Plus Fly Spray
Sk-surekill Brand Pyrethrin Plus Fly Spray
This treatment applies to the following species:

Beef Cattle
Dairy Cattle
Manufacturer: IntAgra
Spray Insecticide with Vapona®

Epa Reg. No.
4866-3
Active Ingredient(s)
Pyrethrins
0.05%

Technical Piperonyl Butoxide
0.10%

Consists of 0.08% (butylcarbityl) (6-propyl piperonyl) ether and 0.02% other related compounds.

Dichlorvos [2,2-dichlorovinyl dimethyl phosphate] (DDVP) (Vapona®)
0.465%

Related compounds
0.035%

Inert Ingredients:
99.35%

Total
100.00%

Contains petroleum distillates.

SK-Surekill Brand Pyrethrin Plus Fly Spray Indications
This is a dual-purpose formula designed to protect dairy and beef cattle from attacks of biting fleas in barns and out on the pasture, and also to function as an effective space spray for quick knockdown and kill of flies in barns.
Directions For Use
It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling. Use this product safely. Read entire label before using.
Animal Spray: To protect animals against attacks of stable flies, horn flies, mosquitoes and gnats, apply just enough to wet ends of hairs but not enough to soak the hide. One or two ounces is enough to treat an adult cow. Apply once daily, preferably in morning, for protection during day. Repeat daily, or as necessary for continued protection.

Do not apply in excess of two fluid ounces per animal per day. Do not spray udders of lactating dairy animals. For milking dairy animals, apply 20 to 30 minutes before beginning to milk. Do not apply to animals under 6 months of age.

Space Spray for Barn Fly Control: To attain quick knockdown and kill of flies, gnats and mosquitoes in enclosed spaces, spray toward ceiling and corners until space is filled with light mist. Apply at rate of one to two ounces per 1000 cubic feet. Do not treat animals or humans. Do not contaminate water, feed or foodstuffs, milk or milking utensils. Do not use in areas where animals have received direct application within 8 hours.

Remove animals prior to treatment. For best results, close all windows and doors prior to spraying and keep them closed for 10 to 15 minutes after spraying. When used in enclosed areas, do not remain in treated areas after spraying. Ventilate before reentering.

Precautionary Statements
Caution: Hazards to Humans and Domestic Animals: Harmful if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Avoid inhalation of vapor or spray mist. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, and clothing. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling and before eating or smoking. Wear NIOSH or OSHA approved respirator when applying indoors as space spray or fog.
Do not contaminate water, feed, or foodstuffs. Do not use in food areas of food handling establishments, restaurants or other areas where food is commercially prepared or processed. Do not use in serving areas while food is exposed or facility is in operation.

Do not apply to animals under 6 months of age. Brahman or Brahman Cross cattle should not be treated, as they may show hypersensitivity to organophosphates.

Environmental Hazards: This product is toxic to fish, birds and other wildlife. Do not contaminate water when disposing of equipment washwaters.

Physical or Chemical Hazards: Do not use, pour, spill or store near heat or flame.

Statement of Practical Treatment: If swallowed: Call a physician or Poison Control Center immediately. Do not induce vomiting; vomiting may cause aspiration pneumonia.

Gastric lavage is indicated if material was taken internally.

If inhaled: Remove victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if indicated.

If on skin: Remove contaminated clothing. Wash affected areas with soap and water.

If in eyes: Flush eyes with plenty of water. Get medical attention if irritation persists.

Note to Physician: Solvent presents aspiration hazard. Gastric lavage is indicated if material was taken internally. DDVP (Vapona®) is an organophosphate insecticide. If symptoms of cholinesterase inhibition are present, atropine sulfate by injection is antidotal. 2-PAM is also antidotal and may be administered in conjunction with atropine.

Storage And Disposal
Do not contaminate water, food or feed by storage or disposal.
Storage: Store in a cool place. Keep container tightly closed.

Pesticide Disposal: Wastes resulting from use of this product may be disposed of on site or at an approved waste disposal facility.

Container Disposal: Triple rinse (or equivalent). Then offer for recycling or reconditioning, or puncture and dispose of in a sanitary landfill, or incineration, or by burning if allowed by state and local authorities. If burned, stay out of smoke.

Warning(s)
Keep out of reach of children.
Presentation
Pyrethrin Plus is packaged in a 5 gallon twin-pack containing two 2 1/2 gallon plastic jugs. A case of four plastic 1 gallon jugs is also available.
Nac No.
INTAGRA, INC.
16719 IREDALE PATH, LAKEVILLE, MN, 55044
Telephone: 952-898-0422
Order Desk: 800-468-2472
Fax: 952-898-2372
Email: [email protected]

Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the SK-Surekill Brand Pyrethrin Plus Fly Spray information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the SK-Surekill Brand Pyrethrin Plus Fly Spray product label or package insert.

I'm never not careful when in a pen or even in the pasture with any cows.

Bruno, thanks for the head's up on SK-Surekill Brand Pyrethrin Plus Fly Spray, I wouldn't have known.

and please fellas, don't let my flippant remarks lead you to believe, that I am not cautious with those cows.

I was merely pointing out, that if possible, I could get close enough to them to use a pump up sprayer, as an application device. I see now, that this isn't the best technique, and rest assured, I will use a safe method.

baxter78":25bpfizn said:
Texican just cuz they are tame when you walk among them and they will follow you with a bucket you still need to be careful. My brangus are gentle as lambs in the pasture and will eat feed out of my hand and even let me scratch em. Once they are penned however all bets are off and they become killers with gate crashing, pen breaking, killer instinct. They get all the others riled up. They taught me how to really build a pen. The one I have now will keep them in but dag nabbit it took trial and error. Ever seen a brangus cow jump a 6 foot high fence made out of woven cattle panels and corral panels? I have and she cleared it standing flat footed and weighed 1350 and was preggo to boot.

I have seen it as they were right behind me, the only thing more gentle is the Tigers. The Gerts are pretty rough as well family used to run quite a few of the hateful things.

Do not apply to animals under 6 months of age. Brahman or Brahman Cross cattle should not be treated, as they may show hypersensitivity to organophosphates

Guess we are never to old to learn new things, I didn't know that.

Caustic, why do you reckon tigers are so hot tempered? I would have thought the hereford in them would have a calming influence. I have seen a few gerts (through binoculors) at a neighbour's place that you have to hunt as there is no way you could ever get them loaded or penned. They won't even come for feed when people are around.

baxter78":246oapgi said:
Ever seen a brangus cow jump a 6 foot high fence made out of woven cattle panels and corral panels?

The third time I penned one like that, she finally went in the trailer and I hauled her back to the sale barn. Previous sale tags were still on her hip.

She had tried to jump a cut gate and I pulled it to me with her landing on top. Then I would slam her with it. Back and forth for a long time. I was more stubborn than she.