Next hot beef breed

Help Support CattleToday:

I have no idea what TH is but, you folks that said Charolais is a up and coming breed your wrong. Check out the feeder calf sales. Charolais are here. At least in the northern states seems like most ranchers are putting Charolais bulls with their BA comercial cows. :p
mnmt

tibial hemimelia
except from http://shorthorn.org/asa/tabID_3834/tailored.aspx

"TH is characterized by severe and lethal deformities in newborn calves. Affected calves are born with twisted rear legs with fused joints, have large abdominal hernias and/or a skull deformity. Should the calf survive the birthing process, they cannot stand to nurse and must be destroyed. Although these calves are a loss for owners, the larger problem for breeders is identifying which normal-appearing cattle carry and pass on the recessive allele."

I just don't see Shorthorns gaining a lot of traction while they are under this TH cloud. A lot of commercial people are not yet aware that there is a problem and some of them may be using TH carrier bulls in their herd now. IF they ever cross those TH carrier heifers with another TH carrier bull they will think their herd has been a test site for some bioterror weapon. WHEN they find out that their breeder and the Shorthorn breed are responsible for unleashing this, they may never buy another Shortie again.

UG":gq3sh300 said:
Though we don't finish out any steers on grass, I know that there are some grass fed programs that utilize some South Devon genetics. That being said, if the demand for grass finished beef continues, I'm guessing we'll see more interests in Murray Greys as well.
Where is all this grass going to come from to finish out all these grass fed cattle that everyone wants to talk about.

Heritage_Farmboy":391sdid8 said:
what do you mean NEXT hot breed?...everyone knows Herfs will always be the hottest breed :D ...always have...always will be...there will be no next hottest breed...unless herefords are magically whiped out somehow

just my opinion :)

Take care
Farmboy, you need to wake up and smell the coffee.

la4angus":2iaht2nh said:
Heritage_Farmboy":2iaht2nh said:
what do you mean NEXT hot breed?...everyone knows Herfs will always be the hottest breed :D ...always have...always will be...there will be no next hottest breed...unless herefords are magically whiped out somehow

just my opinion :)

Take care
Farmboy, you need to wake up and smell the coffee.

I think the people that bow down to black cattle need to wake up and smell the coffee...just my opinion

TURN THAT COW LOOSE MAW Wrote:Therefore you of all people should know that the American Salers Association now culls harder than any other breed out there for disposition. There are many salers bulls that have a +30 docility rating. Get your facts straight before you go bashing a breed.

TTCLM - You are right! I must admit that the only experience I have had with Salers was attempting to load one without a chute or a ramp. Four of us "tackled" her and shoved, dragged, pushed, lifted, poked, heaved, cussed and kicked her into a trailer. It was NOT the Saler heifer's fault - it was the inexperienced idiots handling her without the proper equipment and too stupid to admit that they were wrong! I am ashamed to admit that I was out of line bashing a breed when I really have not kept up with the facts.

I won't repeat that mistake again.

DOC HARRIS

Diehard40":3btrjagm said:
Dun,
just wondering if Tuli would be as good or maybe a little better than the Gyr? or maybe Brown Swiss instead of Holstein? Nahh better keep the holstein so we can get some black hided animals. :)
Despite the many positive traits of the Tuli, I have no desire to see them become the next 'trendy' breed, the future of the Tuli is centred around the exelent characteristics of the F1 female in a rotational or terminal crossbreeding programme, not as some percieved wonder breed.