Next Contest

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
Any suggestions for our next contest or would you all like to take a break until the New Year?

We did a Christmas one back when we first started the contests. My suggestion is we do it again. We could have the deadline and vote after the first of the year.

That's an excellent idea Slick...we can leave it wide open, just call it 'Christmas'. Could be a tree, meal, decorations, church...anything 'Christmasy'.

Since it is a photography contest as well as a picture competition (if it potentially is?), why not set a topic, say one calf, or one flower, or one something (oh please not an American flag or I haven't a hope) and the competition is the best photography, not the best subject? Have us all concentrate on how beautifully executed a picture can be, rather than the attractiveness of the subject.
People often have no idea of how to focus their camera or how to set up so that the background isn't full of distractions or how to get the light right so the subject really stands out. (I do it by chance sometimes but it would be fun to really pay attention to it for a purpose.)

Putangitangi":2ujp7d3y said:
Since it is a photography contest as well as a picture competition (if it potentially is?), why not set a topic, say one calf, or one flower, or one something (oh please not an American flag or I haven't a hope) and the competition is the best photography, not the best subject? Have us all concentrate on how beautifully executed a picture can be, rather than the attractiveness of the subject.
People often have no idea of how to focus their camera or how to set up so that the background isn't full of distractions or how to get the light right so the subject really stands out. (I do it by chance sometimes but it would be fun to really pay attention to it for a purpose.)

I had always assumed each PHOTO contest was exactly as you describe. Otherwise it becomes a 'best looking calf, most impressive tractor, ugliest child, mangiest cat, prettiest flower, cutest grandchild' judging. (Not that I'm very good at focus, lighting, etc)

greybeard":5qolaq1q said:
Putangitangi":5qolaq1q said:

I had always assumed each PHOTO contest was exactly as you describe. Otherwise it becomes a 'best looking calf, most impressive tractor, ugliest child, mangiest cat, prettiest flower, cutest grandchild' judging. (Not that I'm very good at focus, lighting, etc)
I used to think, then hope, that too. Turns out that if you put a cute dog or baby or a flag in the picture, even if it's not a very good picture, it'll get the votes. That's why I thought it might be interesting to constrain the subject and look at the actual photography.

It could be that I'm biased and only think it's that way. I don't like dogs, don't really like babies and I live in a country where flying flags isn't really a thing we bother doing.

greybeard":1lfik5nt said:
Putangitangi":1lfik5nt said:

Somehow "ugliest child" seems to be the ticket to winning every time!

I do try to judge them based on how well it's pictured, as well as how well it suits the topic for the month. You can still take good pics with a cell phone, I just found that they lose sharpness on long distance more than a good camera does, but they take great pictures of near subjects.

I think it's a combination of the subject and the quality of picture that decides the winner. Everyone is different but personally the subject usually is more important to me than the quality of the photograph, but not always. I would venture to say that most folks on here feel the same way as me. I think the best contests are the ones that are the most vague. They definitely get the most entries. I think a contest simply titled "Hand" would be a really good one.

Okay, we are sorted for the next 5 months. They are as follows -
March - Winds
April - Showers
May - Flowers
June - Dung(concentrating on technique)
July - Hand

So now you know, keep a camera on hand at all times. Thanks for the suggestions folks :D

Late to the party, how about a pic of your homemade breakfast plate...before you eat it! Lol

Putangitangi":394qi734 said:
greybeard":394qi734 said:
Putangitangi":394qi734 said:

I used to think, then hope, that too. Turns out that if you put a cute dog or baby or a flag in the picture, even if it's not a very good picture, it'll get the votes. That's why I thought it might be interesting to constrain the subject and look at the actual photography.

It could be that I'm biased and only think it's that way. I don't like dogs, don't really like babies and I live in a country where flying flags isn't really a thing we bother doing.
Told my wife a few weeks ago when she was putting away the Christmas stuff to leave the ribbons and bows out.."I might need one for a photo contest......"

Now where, did I put that pic of my little city girl grand baby throwing dried cowpies for my old dog Spot to chase? (Her city girl momma about came unglued when I told her what her daughter was playing with)

greybeard":2h4h8w51 said:
Now where, did I put that pic of my little city girl grand baby throwing dried cowpies for my old dog Spot to chase? (Her city girl momma about came unglued when I told her what her daughter was playing with)
I don't have a picture of it and neither does my nephew, except in his memory, which he recounted to me one day when he was about 10, a moment from a few years before, which I was surprised he remembered at all. I'd called to him, hey Louie, catch! Naturally he did: a shrivelled scrotum, where it had dropped on the ground still carrying the rubber ring.

Latest posts