News

Help Support CattleToday:

I dont even need to read it...the only thing worse than a spotted hereford is a black baldy that wants to be something its not

texbulldog":1laxagmj said:
Just a link to broaden your minds. Help with the tunnel vision.

http://www.blackhereford.com/article.html

I'm willing to broaden my mind. I've read this link, I've read many others. Tried to research this topic. What I still want to know is how they got the first "Blackhereford" with out crossing with another breed. I've seen thousands of hereford cattle and their offspring. I've never seen a hereford bull and a hereford cow (both purebred and/or registered) produce a black calf. Where did they originate?

SF":112jbvwl said:
I've never seen a hereford bull and a hereford cow (both purebred and/or registered) produce a black calf.

That is because they won't.

All our efforts to get informative answers from this guy have been futile. He can't back up his claims, therefore posts his junk and hides till the smoke clears. Then the cycle starts all over again.

Hello texbulldog -- I read the article you linked, as I really do want to broaden my mind and not have tunnel vision. However, and unhappily, in reading the article I was unable to find an answer to the question that I also posed a week or so ago on your earlier thread, so maybe you can enlighten me: What economics enhancing traits or qualities do the "black Herefords" bring to the table that are not already available in plain ole, garden variety Angus/Hereford black baldies? Thanks in advance . ;-)

I think he had seen what some of the other breeds had done to capitalize on the black coat phenomenon.
Texbulldog- I looked at the link. Always willing to learn and "broaden my mind" Please explain why this quote doesn't tell the whole story. Why infringe on some other breeds name? The AHA took a pass. Why not just call it the Gage super baldy or something similar. I don't have a problem with people trying to promote their product or developing something they want to call a new breed, just be honest about what it is. If the cattle are that good people will use them without riding on the coat tails of an established breed that has already said no thanks.

How did the polled "Hereford" come about? It took the crossing of a polled animal (which couldn't have been a hereford) and breeding them back up to the hereford. What's so confusing about having a "Black" hereford by doing the same thing?

MikeC":sc8pystj said:
How did the polled "Hereford" come about? It took the crossing of a polled animal (which couldn't have been a hereford) and breeding them back up to the hereford. What's so confusing about having a "Black" hereford by doing the same thing?

different deal. polled herefords were not developed by using outside breeds. they were developed from horned herefords with mutations of the horn gene.

"Warren Gammon, a lawyer from Des Moines, Iowa, started using registered Herefords exclusively, with the goal of producing Polled Herefords. Warren Gammon had seen polled cattle on exhibit at the Trans-Mississippi International Exhibition in Omaha, Neb. Warren Gammon developed his idea of breeding a hornless strain of registered Hereford cattle by sending inquiries to 2,500 members of the American Hereford Association in 1900, trying to find naturally polled, purebred Herefords. He received 1,500 replies and bought four bulls and ten cows. Two cows were barren, one bull was eliminated and so it was from the remaining 11 animals that Gammon founded the Polled Hereford breed. The original 11 Polled Herefords were registered in the American Hereford Association but were not identified as being polled."

you actually think any of the popular breeds are pure any more. how do you suppose the rest turned black or got so much bigger than normal. i might have been born at night, but it wasn't last night

jerry27150":1wf9odrn said:
you actually think any of the popular breeds are pure any more. how do you suppose the rest turned black or got so much bigger than normal. i might have been born at night, but it wasn't last night

Those breeds that turned black have policies that allow "breeding up." The AHA and AAA have no such policy. I'm sure there have been illegal immigrants snuck into the gene pools of most breeds at one time or another. I think that practice is less widespread than the gossipmongers like to suppose. There are certainly bloodlines within the Hereford breed that I have total confidence in the purity.

When it comes to Herefords, when it comes to size, the originals were huge, and the gene pool is so wide that you can quickly make genetic changes with what is available within the breed. Take a look at Dr. Ritchie's history of the breeds that someone posted a link for some time back.

txag":p7kmdeqr said:
MikeC":p7kmdeqr said:

different deal. polled herefords were not developed by using outside breeds. they were developed from horned herefords with mutations of the horn gene.

"Warren Gammon, a lawyer from Des Moines, Iowa, started using registered Herefords exclusively, with the goal of producing Polled Herefords. Warren Gammon had seen polled cattle on exhibit at the Trans-Mississippi International Exhibition in Omaha, Neb. Warren Gammon developed his idea of breeding a hornless strain of registered Hereford cattle by sending inquiries to 2,500 members of the American Hereford Association in 1900, trying to find naturally polled, purebred Herefords. He received 1,500 replies and bought four bulls and ten cows. Two cows were barren, one bull was eliminated and so it was from the remaining 11 animals that Gammon founded the Polled Hereford breed. The original 11 Polled Herefords were registered in the American Hereford Association but were not identified as being polled."

Thanks for posting that information. Today has brought a wealth of information! :D

Hey Tex - why not broaden my narrow mind?

Please give us an answer to these questions:

1. Where did the first "registered" black bull come from? Complete ancestry would be nice.

2. Who and what organization registered anything called a Black Hereford bull?

3. Who IS registering those new black animals? Certainly not the Hereford Associations of North America, Britain, Australia and so on.

4. Is this registry a "real" registry, or something made up?

Thanks in advance for enlightening us and helping us to broaden our horizons.

If you want to go private you can pm me - or if you want to go direct I will be happy to provide my phone number.

Bez