newborns

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I had three healthy calves born to my three Brangus heifers in the last couple of days. One bull, two heifers. The first I've had born on my place. What do I do now? They're nursing good. When do vaccinate, ear tag, worm, cut the bull, etc? How soon can I breed back the cows?

[email protected]

When do
> vaccinate, ***** Between two to six months. ear tag, ***** As soon as they are born -- less stress on the calf and since they are USUALLY more manageable, it is less stressful for you. worm,***** When you vaccinate. cut the bull, ***** We banded our little bull when he was about a week old -- make sure BOTH testicles have descended before banding or cutting. Within twelve hours (usually after the calf has been dried off by mom) we use a paste that you put on the back of the calf's tongue called "Calf Guard" or a similar product. We also give a 2cc shot of BoSe (a selenium shot) on the day of birth. Tagging can be done whenever, but we prefer on the birth day, so you can see that when we get to the calf in its first twelve hours, we tag, calf guard, and BoSe shot. Others do different things. etc? How soon can I breed back the cows? The second cycle is preferable. Are you having fun yet? lol

[email protected]

on day of birth, TAG, CALF GUARD, AND 2cc OF Bose.

at a week, band or cut the bull

between 2 and 6 months, vaccinate & worm

rebreed cow on second cycle after birth...

[email protected]

We do things a little different. When we do our spring workup, usually the calves are about a month old. We Band, vaccinate, ear tag. BoSe is only really necessary if you are in a slenium defficient area. This way the little guys aren't stressed more then they need to be. We let the ladies "Calf bed" get back into shape and breed on the date closest to when they were bred the previous year. But they get at least 45 days post calving before breeding.

dunmovin farms

> I had three healthy calves born to
> my three Brangus heifers in the
> last couple of days. One bull, two
> heifers. The first I've had born
> on my place. What do I do now?
> They're nursing good. When do
> vaccinate, ear tag, worm, cut the
> bull, etc? How soon can I breed
> back the cows?

If I'm going to use a growth implant, say...Ralgro...when is the best time for that? When I buy calves at the sale, they usually weigh about 200lbs, and I do it right then. Can I do it sooner?

[email protected]

The guy down the road that uses implants in his Holstein steers does it the first time at about 450 Don't know why, or when it is recommended. It may depend on what you use

dunmovin farms

> If I'm going to use a growth
> implant, say...Ralgro...when is
> the best time for that? When I buy
> calves at the sale, they usually
> weigh about 200lbs, and I do it
> right then. Can I do it sooner?

***** WOW! I wish I had your gift of being able to say something in ten words or less. You have my schedule -- but consider Dunmovin's advice closely... he has a pretty good bunch of advice... look around on the ranches by you, see what they are doing and compare to the advice you receive from here.... you will find your own personal best idea. I will put one more plug in for the oral stuff on the first day of birth... scours used to kill more calves than were born it seemed like some years. On the folks' ranch, since they have started using the oral stuff, scours has gone to NONE!... also consider, there is a shot you can give your cow a month or two before she calves that purports to do the same thing. Lots to learn, a few months to learn it from insemination to the birth. Don't forget to also check with your local feed store guy or your local vet and get their recommendations.... for instance the selenium shot (needed in this area, immensely) may be overkill in your area. You have lots of resources, don't hesitate to use them.

> on day of birth, TAG, CALF GUARD,
> AND 2cc OF Bose.

> at a week, band or cut the bull

> between 2 and 6 months, vaccinate
> & worm

> rebreed cow on second cycle after
> birth...

[email protected]

Here is a link to some of that paste.

<A HREF="http://www.merricks.com/calfpaste.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.merricks.com/calfpaste.html</A>

Good Luck! Eaglewerks

> ***** WOW! I wish I had your gift
> of being able to say something in
> ten words or less. You have my
> schedule -- but consider
> Dunmovin's advice closely... he
> has a pretty good bunch of
> advice... look around on the
> ranches by you, see what they are
> doing and compare to the advice
> you receive from here.... you will
> find your own personal best idea.