Newborns and shots

Help Support CattleToday:

Cormac

Reaction score
How soon after birth do I need to get them to the vet for shots. What shots/meds should they get? Week old baby Bull. My first. Pretty cool!

It is cool, isn't it! The calf ought to be fine if his mama was vaccinated properly before he was born. However, call the vet and ask him/her what he/she thinks. That way you'll have peace of mind that you are doing everything you should.

Congrats!!!!!

Alice

From the studies I have read, and from talking with our vet, we don't give shots until the calves are at least a month old. From what I understand, giving a vaccination to a newborn calf is pointless because their immune system doesn't react to the vaccine like an older animals will. As long as he had a good dose of colostrum (hopefully from his mother) he should be good for at least that long.

At the very least I would give the calf an 8-way with somnugen. After that there is a thousand things you can give. The best thing would be to talk to your vet or other cattle producers in the area and see what you need.

I would wait until they are three months. Mothers colostrum is protecting them. monitor to make sure that they do not get sick until you can vac them. When I vac my calves I use a 4 - way with a 5 way lepto added in , and a 7 way clostridium. Speek with your vet and get a program set up for what is good for your area. Some people use a live IBR intranasal. I never have. Go to http://www.bovi-shieldgold.com and read about their products. I feel they have some great ones.

We are in a Selenium deficient area, so we give that at birth and a dose of 8-way. You should check with your vet to see if there are any mineral or vitamin deficiencies that need to be taken care of after birth.

Cormac":12hlgx95 said:
How soon after birth do I need to get them to the vet for shots. What shots/meds should they get? Week old baby Bull. My first. Pretty cool!

I don't believe it will do any good to vaccinate until they are at least 4 months old, because their immune system is not fully developed until then and they cannot develop antibodies to vaccines without a fully developed immune system. That is why colostrum is so important - it provides passive immunity until their bodies can respond to vaccinations.

As said above, check with your local vet for a recommended vaccination schedule (birth, pre-breed, etc. etc.)

In our area, we are selenium deficient as well so we give Bo-SE the day after birth and TSV-2 intra-nasal for pneumonia prevention per our vets recommendation.

Latest posts