newborn with swollen ankles

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My daughter was given a baby calf from a neighbor for Christmas.We are new at this being we just moved to the country from the city.The problem is that the calf walks on the tips of his hooves and his front ankles are very swollen.The man who gave us the calf said to walk the calf several times a day and his hooves will flatten out in about a week.we were told also to rub DMSO on his ankles to reduce swelling.the calf is about a month old now with no change,seems to be getting worse.The calf seems to be in alot of pain and we have been walking the calf like we were told.the calf cannot even keep standing the whole time during feeding.My 6 year old daughter has totally fallen in love with this calf and we need help on what to do.We have had the calf for three weeks.<br>thank you
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

What breed of calf is this--some breeds have genetic fusion of the lower joints! Also, can you manually straighten the leg? If not, no amount of walking will cure it. Is the navel swollen--it almost sounds like it has septic arthritis, and I'd highly recommend you call your local large animal veterinarian or vet college (one in almost every state)to get a proper diagnosis. Depending on the cause, it may or may not be curable. Sorry, but I really can't say for sure! Good Luck!<br>V
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":19g0fdfb said:
: What breed of calf is this--some breeds have genetic fusion of the lower joints! Also, can you manually straighten the leg? If not, no amount of walking will cure it. Is the navel swollen--it almost sounds like it has septic arthritis, and I'd highly recommend you call your local large animal veterinarian or vet college (one in almost every state)to get a proper diagnosis. Depending on the cause, it may or may not be curable. Sorry, but I really can't say for sure! Good Luck!<br>: V<p><p><br>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":24vqd81m said:
:My calf is a baby holstein,male.I cannot straighten out his front legs.I should have said Knees instead of ankles.<br>Thank you for all the help<br>Darin
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts