Help Support CattleToday:

ScottyB

Reaction score
I am new in the cattle business and wandering what is the best way to start a herd for the cheapest amount of money. This is just a hobby of mine, I am looking at maybe 10-15 total cows. For a better profit margin is it better to buy feeder calfs and sale them when they gain or to start a herd and sale the calves around 500 lbs every year. I know there isn't much profit, but it is a fun hobby to do.

We have got 120 acres mostly pasture. Plenty of water and i was wondering what the best option would be for me, being a weekend rancher. I have the proper chutes and corrals and have some experience. I am able to go up there every weekend and once or twice during the week whenever needed. My plans are to have a small herd where I can turn a small profit and enjoy the land I have and gain as much experience as possible for future growth. I guess what I am asking is what would an experienced rancher do with this setup to maximize profits. :tiphat:

heres what id do.you have 120acs.so id put 40acs in hay meadow.an 80acs of pasture.cows would be your best bet.an if you could id buy 5 cows an a bull.an slowly add 10 or 15 more.

Appreciate the advice, any specific breeds. I know black angus is selling good at the sale barns, is this a fad.

angus brangus black baldies sell pretty hot at the sale barns.chosing a breed is really up to you.what breed you like an want to work with.i run reg beefmasters an a crossbreed herd.the beefmasters are my personal passion.

I would look around for a deal on some cattle. Find some one in a bind, walk up with cash and buy youself a working herd. There are some good deals to be had right now. Right now is as good as it may get for getting into the cattle business.

I would make it possible for someone to be there every day to check on them if you cannot. That way as they get stuck in a pound,get out of fences,trees or limbs fall on fences, have calving problems or get sick someone will be on top of things.

ScottyB":16h7wqc4 said:
We have got 120 acres mostly pasture. Plenty of water and i was wondering what the best option would be for me, being a weekend rancher. I have the proper chutes and corrals and have some experience. I am able to go up there every weekend and once or twice during the week whenever needed. My plans are to have a small herd where I can turn a small profit and enjoy the land I have and gain as much experience as possible for future growth. I guess what I am asking is what would an experienced rancher do with this setup to maximize profits. :tiphat:

If you're a week-end rancher, leave cows and calves alone. I don't care how good the girls are at their job, there will be times that intervention of some sort will be required and you won't be there to do it. That is going to have a very serious impact on your profit.

That is crazy to think you have to check cattle every day, just put them in a bubble then you know they will be ok. :lol: Some of our places get checked once every couple of weeks.

Which will cost you more? Losing a calf or driving an hour every day to check your cattle... ;-)

i check ours about 3 times a month lol. never had anything happen so far.

but anything black is going good right now. ive seen a few reds go for pretty good too.

Latest posts