Help Support CattleToday:

Well you know I have a lot of pine trees then. I've cleared about 12 acres, leaving just oaks. Put out 4000# of pell lime 3 weeks ago along with 1000# of fertilizer and 5 lbs/acre of Big Dahl's red River crab grass. Hoping to get a descent stand of grass growing, then I will look at putting 2-4 cows on it.

Well you know I have a lot of pine trees then. I've cleared about 12 acres, leaving just oaks. Put out 4000# of pell lime 3 weeks ago along with 1000# of fertilizer and 5 lbs/acre of Big Dahl's red River crab grass. Hoping to get a descent stand of grass growing, then I will look at putting 2-4 cows on it.
Test your soul or your spinning your wheels.I can't imagine less than two hundred pounds of fertilizer per acre and one to two tons of lime per acre. I have a lot of Red River crab grass, seed was actually bought by a cousin over off 94.
That's another story. Bahia is the grass of East Texas you will get it. Don't fight the coexistence just roll with Ma nature.
As far as trees go you're either a grass farmer or a tree in East Texas.
The girls below are on Red River crab grass.
Not trying to burst your bubble you can go broke trying to get grass started.
Talk to your county agent, I don't know the new one Davis retired.
It can be mind blowing getting this acidic soil right to grow grass. Remember you're fighting ma nature here it grows pine trees great for a reason.

Attachments

• 4A414D8A-CFF7-462F-9F91-9A9EFB9A9211.jpeg
    4A414D8A-CFF7-462F-9F91-9A9EFB9A9211.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Got a soil test done by SFA. They recommended 1800 LBS/acre of Ag lime. I don't have a way to spread Ag lime and a spreader truck on my place won't work. I had to go with Pelletized lime from TSC, which was expensive. SFA recommended more fertilizer to be applied after the grass comes up. I see quite a bit of Dallisgrass coming up naturally.

Got a soil test done by SFA. They recommended 1800 LBS/acre of Ag lime. I don't have a way to spread Ag lime and a spreader truck on my place won't work. I had to go with Pelletized lime from TSC, which was expensive. SFA recommended more fertilizer to be applied after the grass comes up. I see quite a bit of Dallisgrass coming up naturally.
Do not use Grazon!!!
Use 2-4-D , Grazon can't tell a good seed from a bad seed.
Red River seed is too expensive to kill with Grazon.
Red River is a reseed grass you do not want to kill your seed bank. Another quick pasture trick is to plant common Bermuda.
It will cover and provide forage quick, the Red River and Bahia will smother it out over time.
Real familiar with the area. I spent a lot of time growing up on my grandpas place at the springs on Hackberry creek. My uncle used to run 250 head of Gerts there in the 50's 60's.

Latest posts