Newbie with breed questions

Help Support CattleToday:

mzdamia

Reaction score
I need to know what would be some of the best breeds for someone like me.
I only want to grow one at a time for beef.
I need one who isnt a fence ripper or a child/ smaller person stomper.
Short or absent horns.
Decent temperment... we treat our beef like pets till butcher time.
Grows well on pasture grass, hay and a few additive treats... no fancy menu eaters.
Any suggestions?

cherokeeruby":36azv51h said:
Black or Red Baldie

Good suggestion. We've been butchering straight Herefords and Hereford crosses for several years with excellent results. I've eaten in some of the finest steakhouses around, and came away saying that I'd had better off my own grill. We've sold quite a bit, and our customers are repeat. The performance has been comparable between straight and crossed, but one purebred steer with some very top-notch bloodlines did better overall than any we've ever butchered, as far as gain, meat quality, and percent loss off hanging weight combined. He was the son of a LLL Timber daughter. The purebred Herefords have tended to be calmer and easier loading for us. Halter-break them and you've got it made when it comes to loading etc. :)

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.
Thats what Id figured, but needed additional opinions.
Thanks again. :)

I would suggest Angus or a cross there of. At least 50% or higher English influence. The last two I have eaten have been out of F1 tigers and angus bulls. Taste great and acted OK.

Scotty

You're probably starting to get the idea that they are all ideal and none of them are suitable.
Each individual has a particular breed/cross because they basicly like that breed/cross.
See what breeds/crosses are readily available in your area. I'ld avoid Brahman influence in OR, but if that's what you like, go for it. The continental breeds are considered more of a quantity then quality group. But there are high quality, i.e. marbling, animals within every breed/cross. It's just that the british breeds are generally better at marbeling then the continental breeds.
But, back to this again, it has the be something that you enjoy looking at and dealing with. Makes it easier to go out on those soggy days and fix whatever they've broken. Trust me, they'll break something. It's there nature.

dun

Generally speaking, both Herefords and Shorthorns are very docile and easy to handle and maintain. If you can spare the time, have a coffee and a gander at some of your neighbours' herds. Might help you come to a decision regarding breed preference.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Take care.

Latest posts