Newbie to the cattle business

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit":gmyc07ao said:
That guy sounds like my boy he's wanting to farm. I guess I should say he wants to own a farm and pay people to farm it for him. He's been reading somewhere that the farmers are making a killing. I told him that their in a upward swing and it's going to swing back the other way shortly. But he's coming up to look at some land next week. People are crazy and you will never figure them out. Must be a lot of money in reading x-rays and mri's is all I can figure.

I've noticed most people when going into a business venture never look at what negative effects may happen if something goes wrong and normally leap before looking.

Sky, your dead on. The ways he's going now in 8-10 years he can retire and do what he wants to. As long as he doesn't do some stupid stuff with his investments. He's always been very smart, just no common sense.

highgrit":3hi5b33l said:
That guy sounds like my boy he's wanting to farm. I guess I should say he wants to own a farm and pay people to farm it for him. He's been reading somewhere that the farmers are making a killing. I told him that their in a upward swing and it's going to swing back the other way shortly. But he's coming up to look at some land next week. People are crazy and you will never figure them out. Must be a lot of money in reading x-rays and mri's is all I can figure.
i used to know alot of dairymen like that.they would sit at the coffee shop drinking coffee driving new duellys while their hired hands did the milking and other work.alot of them didnt last very long either.

bigbull338":2o184sig said:
[i used to know alot of dairymen like that.they would sit at the coffee shop drinking coffee driving new duellys while their hired hands did the milking and other work.alot of them didnt last very long either.

Running a business/farm and you being the key man is hard as H... When you are not there with your crew daily. I got thrown into the office and make frequent trips to job sites daily if im able and not doing landscape designs for customers or other contractors. I hate not being able to work right beside my guys daily I need to know what they are doing and if problems arise be right there to answer. I also drive old trucks while my crew members are driving ones newer than mine...I guess I need to sit in coffee shop and learn from those guys with the new duallys and big hats :lol:

Ya'll aren't giving the man enough credit. I know a guy who bought a farm and a few head of cattle then he bought some more cattle and all the land that joined him and now has over 800 mamma cows. He has all new equipment and barns out the ying yang. He doesn't get dirty and sits around drinking coffee at the coffee shop delegating all the dirty work to his hired help. He's made so much money in cattle he even bought an insurance company. Or maybe I got it backwards but what's the difference. :mrgreen:

Jogeephus":179u4ykn said:
Ya'll aren't giving the man enough credit. I know a guy who bought a farm and a few head of cattle then he bought some more cattle and all the land that joined him and now has over 800 mamma cows. He has all new equipment and barns out the ying yang. He doesn't get dirty and sits around drinking coffee at the coffee shop delegating all the dirty work to his hired help. He's made so much money in cattle he even bought an insurance company. Or maybe I got it backwards but what's the difference. :mrgreen:

:lol2: :lol2:

Jogeephus":13cg29tf said:

That aint working. That's the way you do it. You play the guitar on the MTV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwDDswGsJ60

I am watching a few city folks with more money than brain cells doing almost the same thing this guy is doing. It is interesting to watch people spend their entire retirement funds trying to buy what most spend year building with blood and sweat. I just hope I have some money saved up when the sales come.

My experience with buying used older equipment is that you are picking up someone else's headache. We bought used tractors and balers and had nothing but one breakdown after another. That doesn't fly when you have a big field of grass on the ground. Repair bills ate into any profits we could have made. The tractor burned/leaked oil faster than it burned fuel. Some of the used equipment you could not even find parts for it when it broke.
That being said, buying new is not always a guarantee. The new Vermeer baler we bought was always breaking down too.
Some things are better bought new, others are okay if used.
A hay rake, a disc caddy, a tedder, trailers---probably not a bad choice to buy used. But the tractor and baler, for us, are best if newer and preferably under warranty.
My dad always told me that a good tractor will pay for itself. We sold our 85 horse Kubota on a trade in deal, and figured up that it had cost us $8/hr to run that tractor, based on what we paid minus what it sold for, and how many hrs were on it. I expect the resale value on this new 100 horse JD to be even better.

LauraleesFarm":1qdri9y2 said:
My experience with buying used older equipment is that you are picking up someone else's headache. We bought used tractors and balers and had nothing but one breakdown after another. That doesn't fly when you have a big field of grass on the ground. Repair bills ate into any profits we could have made. The tractor burned/leaked oil faster than it burned fuel. Some of the used equipment you could not even find parts for it when it broke.
That being said, buying new is not always a guarantee. The new Vermeer baler we bought was always breaking down too.
Some things are better bought new, others are okay if used.
A hay rake, a disc caddy, a tedder, trailers---probably not a bad choice to buy used. But the tractor and baler, for us, are best if newer and preferably under warranty.
My dad always told me that a good tractor will pay for itself. We sold our 85 horse Kubota on a trade in deal, and figured up that it had cost us $8/hr to run that tractor, based on what we paid minus what it sold for, and how many hrs were on it. I expect the resale value on this new 100 horse JD to be even better.

I sell used tractors and equipment the first thing in purchasing used equipment is KNOW WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING AT... By that I mean sure you know what it physically is but if you have no idea about the mechanical things to look for that are signs of trouble leave used alone. If you do not have the means or know how to fix used stuff or time leave it alone. I personally am not saying used is best at all but I have no problem buying used or new if something breaks I fix it. What I do is buy multiples of everything so if something breaks I can continue. I would also like to remind that just because its NEW does not mean it won't break and leave you high and dry and just because you have a warranty does not mean they will rush out and fix your equipment the same day so you can keep rolling... Warranty pays for parts and labor not to expedite your repairs to the front of the line :tiphat:

That's why you better have a good dealer Sky. That is why I use Vermeer stuff, Perfect equipment is owned and operated by farmers, and all they sell is hay equipment.

highgrit":z5diupwj said:
That's why you better have a good dealer Sky. That is why I use Vermeer stuff, Perfect equipment is owned and operated by farmers, and all they sell is hay equipment.

Yea I got good dealers case and jd dealers are really good to me. I know about breakdowns of new equip though lol

Latest posts