Newbie to the cattle business

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
One of my cattle friends came to my office today with a family member of his and he has told his family member about cattle business and he has decided to get into business. The family member has bought a new NH cabbed tractor 4wd with loader and a new 3 axle trailer to tow it and haul hay on new diesel f-250 so far. I said man I am happy for you thats good he was bragging to me in a way. He proceeds to tell me he will be buying all new haying equip this week. I said oh ok. He said he doesnt have a farm yet but he will be buying one and about 40 cow calf pairs from another friend I buy mine from. He asked what kind of haying equip I had and stuff and I told him my stuff is old and I will upgrade one day but now the cattle funds are not such that I can buy all new haying equip. He was like oh well im gonna do my cattle business right and have all new stuff and get all new stuff every 3 years I said thats good but let me explain something to you. I told him thats all fine and good but cattle prices go up and down and to maximize your profits you need to not have so much overhead and find shortcuts to save $$ he looked at me like I had 3 heads. He went outside to smoke i told my friend you are setting him up for failure he told me he wont listen i figured if he heard 2 cattle farmers say the same stuff he would chill out and listen... WRONG.... I wish him well its going to be a while to recoop all the money hes spending. :tiphat:

Would you pm me when and where the foreclosure auction will be? If possible could you convince him the baler has to have net wrap. I would like that

I know a young man just like that. Only he inherited a large farm that was his dads. He also got all the cows and equipment needed for hating and raising corn. As soon as he got it all he sold all the used stuff went out and bought the best of everything brand new two cab tractors new truck cattle trailers you name it he bought it. Sold all the cows that where there because he said stockers was the way to make money. It lasted about three years maybe 4. Now the bank has repo all his equipment and the truck he has leased out the farm land because he can't afford to buy anything to graze it and he is selling off one lot of land a year to get by.

red I will definately let you know lol and the baler he is getting is net wrap silage special or something he told me. The farm he is looking at is 170 acres with fenced off fields and my friend told me the people want 476k for it. I truly wish him well its only going to take him 40 years to recoop that $$$ lol I suppose at 80 years old making $ will be great for as long as you can.

What lottery did he win. My neighbor says that if he won the lottery he would just keep raising cattle till he was broke. That desn;t have anythign to do with anything but I thought it was funny.

And then there are people like Rick Clunn. He got a case of the Red Azz and walked off the job one day. Said he was just gonna go fish. We all told him what an idiot he was. His brother Monte talked to him over and over and over. Monte will now tell you he should have gone with him. Rick walked off the job nearly 30 years back. Look at him now!

Nothing is absolute.

I am obviously much more conservative.

Some people have to have the latest and greatest in IRON not me all I need is functional safe and gets the job done in a reasonable amount of time. I need some new haying equipment but cattle have to pay for that when I get more $$ saved up since cattle is my hobby I do not use my income $ towards cattle in any way. The guy is going about it the wrong way in my opinion but he will learn.

M5farm":3mthr1v6 said:
dun":3mthr1v6 said:
Who or what is a rick clunn?

He is married to Melissa Clunn. They have four children: Sage, River, Brooke and Courtney
At least you didn;t come up with Mr & Mrs Clunn's son ricky

I know a guy who had a big piece of ground in escrow and just before he signed loan documents and closed the deal he started buying equipment on credit. He didn't understand how debt effects his net worth and the bank turned him down and left him holding the bag on a bunch of new equipment that he had nowhere to use.

Sky, tell him the only way he's gonna make it pay is if he has a large gooseneck cattle trailer. Oh, and he needs to start off right and buy himself some Imbalancers. I might know where he can get some too. There a bit pricey though but will earn him up to $6000 per calf when he sells them.

Jogeephus":3mrmkyqn said:
Sky, tell him the only way he's gonna make it pay is if he has a large gooseneck cattle trailer. Oh, and he needs to start off right and buy himself some Imbalancers. I might know where he can get some too. There a bit pricey though but will earn him up to $6000 per calf when he sells them.

LOL funny thing was he told me all the stuff he was going to buy but NEVER mentioned getting a cattle trailer... when i see him again I will definately pass that message along :lol:

Don't forget to tell him to find himself some Imbalancers if he is going to start out right. If you can't find any I just happen to know where he can pick some at a very reasonable price. A man like him needs the best. Afterall, if you are going to crash and burn you want the flames to be brilliant don't you?!

Latest posts