Newbie! Questions... Please don't shoot me!

Help Support CattleToday:

Like Jed says everyone means well they just gotta funny way of sayin it :welcome: Hope you save your pennies the land itself will cost you big$$$$$$$ . The only rules you have to worry about would be zoning. :welcome:

I will chime in. We live in Texas on a small farm about 27 acres. We have a few cattle (4 beef cows and one or two Jerseys), horses (6) and two donkeys. The horses are in two separate pastures (7 acres and 12 1/2 acres) and the cattle are in another. Sometimes the cows are moved to the pasture that has two horses (it is 12 1/2 acres with trees). The horses are older and don't bother the cows.

I am not sure what type of cattle you want to get. Beef or a family milk cow. Whatever type that you plan on getting, plan on spending some money. Cattle are not cheap. A gentle family milk cow that can be hand milked will probably cost more than a beef cow. She may cost as much as $1800 to $2000 depending on the cow.
Also, keeping a milk cow is more expensive than a beef cow because dairy cattle are usually fed a good quality high protein feed while milking. We have one Jersey in milk right now.

I am primarily a horse person first having owned and showned horses for a very long time (40 adult years, I don't count kid and teenage years). I don't know your experience with horses, but if you do not have any experience or very limited experience, my best suggestion is to find a good barn and take lessons from a knowledgeable trainer. Besides learning how to properly handle a horse, you can also learn how to take care of a horse (feed and management) and the cost of keeping a horse. Horses are not cheap to maintain. I don't know what farriers charge in your area, but a hoof trim is $40 per horse. There is a joke about owning horses. The cheapest part is buying the horse.

I don't know what your income is. You will need to buy hay for the cattle and horses in the winter. Our winter is mild compared to CT. I bought 27 round bales for the winter at $60 a bale. I have 6 bales left. The cattle inhale the hay when it gets cold. We have 6 cows right now and they will eat a bale in about 5 days. The horses go through a bale slower, but they are also fed grain twice daily.

Horses should not eat many cattle feeds because they contain things that are bad for horses.

My best advice would be to contact the Extension Service for your area and talk to an Extension agent. 10 acres may seem like a lot of land, but after you take out the area for your home, barn, pens, and maybe a garden, you will end up with less than 10 acres for your livestock.

This link has links to the different county offices.

http://www.extension.uconn.edu/root/findCenter.php

Good luck!

Welcome from one yankee to another. I would skip the milking gonna be to much of a hassle. Seems fun at first but loses speed quickly. Horse and cattle should be kept separate especially when you are only gonna have a handful if that. If you had big acreage that would be a different story. If you are gonna get cattle choose a docile breed and get a calf that you can work with to make it a lot easier if it will be a pet. Remember to price hay and find location and have a way to get it. Any book by Heather Thomas are good. Go on amazon or barnes and type in cattle and read reviews. Do searches here on CT you will find everything you need.

Winterose":33xc2z7i said:
rjbovine":33xc2z7i said:
Dad ran horses with his cows all the time . I would think that beef cows would bee a better fit . You can buy a lot of milk for what it will cost to keep a milk cow . With raising beef one could be butchered or sold to help off set the cost of feed and hay . I would guess 2 to 3 acres of grass per head would be enough to keep them spring thru fall . Then you need to find a source of hay for the winter months. It take more grass to keep a horse that a cow . I feel they are harder on pasture than cows. Either one or both are enjoyable to have around. have fun rj.

I think i previously stated but a beef cow wouldn't work because my silly bo doesn't believe in butchering "pets" so if we had a cow it would live here for life so i figured fair because then it could live here and be productive at the same time :p

horses are very hard on pastures!

Do horses and cows need the same grade of hay or different? my current BO buys her hay by the trailer so I'm assuming i could do so when i get my own property, but all she does is horses so i don't know if cows have diff hay reqs

As far as no one being sold for meat, cows have calves before they can produce milk. Cows need to be out of production periodically and re-bred. Half of the calf's will be male. What is the plan for the offspring? Sometimes things are not as simple as it appears!

Just make sure that you buy the milk cow from a local individual and get it in writing how much they are going to charge you to come and haul it back after you get sick of being chained to it twice a day for months on end.

Also be aware that Dun isn't kidding when he says raw milk does not taste like pasturized from the store.

If you think you want that lifestyle go live it for a while working for someone else and then see if you think you can do it 24/7, 365.

You would be better off feeding out a couple of steers a year TOGETHER and selling 1.5 of them and hoping you break halfway even on the 1/2 you keep for yourself.

.......or just get some chickens and try that for a year. they will demand a fair bit of your time and if they die...well they are just chickens after all.

and last but not least remember you aren't a milk cow owner until you have been cowkicked across the barn when you touch her teats with your cold hands at 10 below zero, ..........or until you have been slapped across the mouth with a tail full of cowshyt......and no I am not making this stuff to discourage you.

3waycross":1w8r9tnf said:
..........or until you have been slapped across the mouth with a tail full of cowshyt......and no I am not making this stuff to discourage you.
We had a sassy young cow that would "pop" the tail just as it hit your face. Your hands are busy, ducking did not work and she would catch you right across the eyes and bring tears.
Would make a preacher cuss.

You might consider milking a cow for a while before you commit to one. When you are running a fever and the wind is blowing 50 mph, that cow has to be milked. You don't feel like getting out of bed, but the cow has to be milked. Every morning and every night.

I am missing the old Bez already.

I finally was able to read this thread from a computer.
If you want to get a mini milk cow like a miniature jersey, expect to spend big bucks. We were at a county fair and a teenage girl proudly told me that they had a Dexter cow that her mother milked. She cow gave less than a gallon a day. I am not familiar with the breed, but I thought yikes!

Unless you are planning on milking two cows a day, I would find a gentle Jersey cow. She will give you enough milk for you and your family. One thing though. Check your state laws concerning raw milk before sharing it with anyone outside of your family. Laws can be strict, and all it would take is one person to claim that your milk made him/her or a child sick and you could end up losing everything.

Our cow is feeding two pigs, the cats, the dogs, the chickens and a four adults. We drink over a gallon a day

Winterose":24juiwng said:
1. Do cows and Horses get along? I want horses so could they be pastured together?

Our neighbors sometimes run their horses and cows together. Their horses always get to eat and water first b/c they are dominent. Occasionally the horses will 'play' with the cows and push them around the pasture. And it always seems that when they go out of town and I'm looking after them the horses will push the cows through the temporary fencing and I have to go get them back out.

I'm by no means an expert, but my observations. Good luck and enjoy.

Probably the best thing about getting "mature" is getting rid of the horses. I was feeding 7 hay burners once. Now my daughers are telling me the grandkids need ponies. No problem. They can buy them for them and feed the things as well.

backhoeboogie":2zp19h84 said:
Probably the best thing about getting "mature" is getting rid of the horses. I was feeding 7 hay burners once. Now my daughers are telling me the grandkids need ponies. No problem. They can buy them for them and feed the things as well.

That is the exact same thing I told mine and there are no horses here.
I just added a little as I told them a horse eats three cows feed a day so I was going too need to be
reimbursed for three calf's yearly.
Smartest thing I ever did was sell my three years ago.

Caustic Burno":8hdq7cgs said:
backhoeboogie":8hdq7cgs said:

That is the exact same thing I told mine and there are no horses here.
I just added a little as I told them a horse eats three cows feed a day so I was going too need to be
reimbursed for three calf's yearly.
Smartest thing I ever did was sell my three years ago.
Yeah we hear you. Wait till one of the grand kids really wants one, then if you don't give in I bet Mrs CB will make you see the light.
:hide:

branguscowgirl":2yi2utc8 said:
Winter, just my :2cents:
I run certain horses with my cattle just fine. I have for many years. Some of mine don't bother the cattle at feeding time at all. But as already stated, some will. A lot will depend on the animal. I definitely do not let them calve with horses in the pasture. Too much risk of calf getting kicked or stepped on.

alrighty thanks! i guess we'll have to see how our future critters do then.

chippie":2yi2utc8 said:
I will chime in. We live in Texas on a small farm about 27 acres. We have a few cattle (4 beef cows and one or two Jerseys), horses (6) and two donkeys. The horses are in two separate pastures (7 acres and 12 1/2 acres) and the cattle are in another. Sometimes the cows are moved to the pasture that has two horses (it is 12 1/2 acres with trees). The horses are older and don't bother the cows.

I am not sure what type of cattle you want to get. Beef or a family milk cow. Whatever type that you plan on getting, plan on spending some money. Cattle are not cheap. A gentle family milk cow that can be hand milked will probably cost more than a beef cow. She may cost as much as $1800 to $2000 depending on the cow.
Also, keeping a milk cow is more expensive than a beef cow because dairy cattle are usually fed a good quality high protein feed while milking. We have one Jersey in milk right now.

I am primarily a horse person first having owned and showned horses for a very long time (40 adult years, I don't count kid and teenage years). I don't know your experience with horses, but if you do not have any experience or very limited experience, my best suggestion is to find a good barn and take lessons from a knowledgeable trainer. Besides learning how to properly handle a horse, you can also learn how to take care of a horse (feed and management) and the cost of keeping a horse. Horses are not cheap to maintain. I don't know what farriers charge in your area, but a hoof trim is $40 per horse. There is a joke about owning horses. The cheapest part is buying the horse.

I don't know what your income is. You will need to buy hay for the cattle and horses in the winter. Our winter is mild compared to CT. I bought 27 round bales for the winter at $60 a bale. I have 6 bales left. The cattle inhale the hay when it gets cold. We have 6 cows right now and they will eat a bale in about 5 days. The horses go through a bale slower, but they are also fed grain twice daily.

Horses should not eat many cattle feeds because they contain things that are bad for horses.

My best advice would be to contact the Extension Service for your area and talk to an Extension agent. 10 acres may seem like a lot of land, but after you take out the area for your home, barn, pens, and maybe a garden, you will end up with less than 10 acres for your livestock.

This link has links to the different county offices.

http://www.extension.uconn.edu/root/findCenter.php

Good luck!

thanks so much!, Im just graduating this spring so we'll have to see what kind of income i can snag at that point in time :p not looking to rush into anything research first jump in later. we were looking at Mini jerseys or Mini holsteins i think it was (Their his favorite) Can cows be kept alone? we originally only wanted one, but if they don't mix with the horses well would it be ok by itself? or would we need two. I have been riding since i was 10 now 21, and have picked up a small part time gig trading barn work for riding time (College is expensive and i can't afford continued lessons) but it is teaching me allot about barn care which is a plus :D

thanks for the link i will check it out!

shadyhollownj":2yi2utc8 said:
Welcome from one yankee to another. I would skip the milking gonna be to much of a hassle. Seems fun at first but loses speed quickly. Horse and cattle should be kept separate especially when you are only gonna have a handful if that. If you had big acreage that would be a different story. If you are gonna get cattle choose a docile breed and get a calf that you can work with to make it a lot easier if it will be a pet. Remember to price hay and find location and have a way to get it. Any book by Heather Thomas are good. Go on amazon or barnes and type in cattle and read reviews. Do searches here on CT you will find everything you need.
mwj":2yi2utc8 said:
Winterose":2yi2utc8 said:
rjbovine":2yi2utc8 said:
Dad ran horses with his cows all the time . I would think that beef cows would bee a better fit . You can buy a lot of milk for what it will cost to keep a milk cow . With raising beef one could be butchered or sold to help off set the cost of feed and hay . I would guess 2 to 3 acres of grass per head would be enough to keep them spring thru fall . Then you need to find a source of hay for the winter months. It take more grass to keep a horse that a cow . I feel they are harder on pasture than cows. Either one or both are enjoyable to have around. have fun rj.

I think i previously stated but a beef cow wouldn't work because my silly bo doesn't believe in butchering "pets" so if we had a cow it would live here for life so i figured fair because then it could live here and be productive at the same time :p

horses are very hard on pastures!

Do horses and cows need the same grade of hay or different? my current BO buys her hay by the trailer so I'm assuming i could do so when i get my own property, but all she does is horses so i don't know if cows have diff hay reqs

As far as no one being sold for meat, cows have calves before they can produce milk. Cows need to be out of production periodically and re-bred. Half of the calf's will be male. What is the plan for the offspring? Sometimes things are not as simple as it appears!

The places we were looking at had buy back or discount programs for unwanted calves

3waycross":2yi2utc8 said:
Just make sure that you buy the milk cow from a local individual and get it in writing how much they are going to charge you to come and haul it back after you get sick of being chained to it twice a day for months on end.

Also be aware that Dun isn't kidding when he says raw milk does not taste like pasturized from the store.

If you think you want that lifestyle go live it for a while working for someone else and then see if you think you can do it 24/7, 365.

You would be better off feeding out a couple of steers a year TOGETHER and selling 1.5 of them and hoping you break halfway even on the 1/2 you keep for yourself.

.......or just get some chickens and try that for a year. they will demand a fair bit of your time and if they die...well they are just chickens after all.

and last but not least remember you aren't a milk cow owner until you have been cowkicked across the barn when you touch her teats with your cold hands at 10 below zero, ..........or until you have been slapped across the mouth with a tail full of cowshyt......and no I am not making this stuff to discourage you.

chippie":2yi2utc8 said:
I finally was able to read this thread from a computer.
If you want to get a mini milk cow like a miniature jersey, expect to spend big bucks. We were at a county fair and a teenage girl proudly told me that they had a Dexter cow that her mother milked. She cow gave less than a gallon a day. I am not familiar with the breed, but I thought yikes!

Unless you are planning on milking two cows a day, I would find a gentle Jersey cow. She will give you enough milk for you and your family. One thing though. Check your state laws concerning raw milk before sharing it with anyone outside of your family. Laws can be strict, and all it would take is one person to claim that your milk made him/her or a child sick and you could end up losing everything.

Our cow is feeding two pigs, the cats, the dogs, the chickens and a four adults. We drink over a gallon a day

Can we do just one cow? i was assuming since they are herd animals that that would not be ok for them to be alone, i was thinking maybe if they did ok with the horses but it seems to be the mass opinion here that this wouldn't work out... so could we get just one cow?

Winterose":3otslx1r said:
Can we do just one cow? i was assuming since they are herd animals that that would not be ok for them to be alone, i was thinking maybe if they did ok with the horses but it seems to be the mass opinion here that this wouldn't work out... so could we get just one cow?

Sure you can.

You want to milk. There are only two of you. No way you can drink that much milk. Get a milk cow and cycle nurse calves on her. You can milk her out every other evening and put the calves on her mornings and the opposite evening. Bottle feed them the evening you milk her out. A good milk cow should support three calves in this manner. You would not have to milk twice a day every day if you have calves to nurse her out.

As far as getting her bred, you could go the AI route.

You have many options.

backhoeboogie":ogxeofyc said:
Winterose":ogxeofyc said:

Sure you can.

You want to milk. There are only two of you. No way you can drink that much milk. Get a milk cow and cycle nurse calves on her. You can milk her out every other evening and put the calves on her mornings and the opposite evening. Bottle feed them the evening you milk her out. A good milk cow should support three calves in this manner. You would not have to milk twice a day every day if you have calves to nurse her out.

You have many options.

Awesome thanks!!! Is the AI route difficult?

Winterose":26yno7lw said:
backhoeboogie":26yno7lw said:
Winterose":26yno7lw said:

Sure you can.

You have many options.

Awesome thanks!!! Is the AI route difficult?

There are many AI Techs out there. I have no personal experience with it. Several on this forum can advise you.

Awesome thanks!!! Is the AI route difficult?[/quote]

There are many AI Techs out there. I have no personal experience with it. Several on this forum can advise you.[/quote]

thanks

Latest posts