Newbie need opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

F350

Reaction score
I've been lurking here for a while now. Finally decided to post. I've been soaking up all the data I can about cattle before I buy any. I plan to buy 40 to 60 acres for a homesite and to raise a few cattle. Will probably buy the land whether I get into cattle or not.

Here's the question: I've been thinking of buying two 3 - 4 hundred weight calves this winter to keep until next fall for freezer beef. I have a fenced 2.5 acres pasture with good grass down the road (5miles) from me that I would keep the calves on. Is this enough land for two young calves? I plan to supplement with grain. I'm pretty cautious by nature and thought the 2.5 acres would allow me some learning experience before I sink a bunch of money into a larger tract. However, if the pasture is too small I won't do it. No need to create a disaster.

Is this feasible? The land is in south Louisiana.

Thanks,

Since you will be feeding them out for the freezer it would be plenty. Certainly would not be enough to raise a couple cows on without supplemrnt.

that should work just fine. you want a corral there to keep them in for a few days and to feed them in each day.

make sure they have at least 2 rounds of shots (the person you buy them from should at least do the first round). one of my top priorities when buying calves is temperament... dont buy anything that seems crazy.

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

I will get calves from my cousin. I own 15 acres next to his 200 acres. I would use the 15 acre property for cattle, but it's 1.5 hours away. Too far to drive to check on them regularly. Maybe I can let him cut my land for free hay in exchange for 2 calves or I'll just buy them.

I plan to use corral panels for the holding area and I'll build/attach something solid to the panels for working and loading.
Just need to find some decent panels. The stuff at Lowes is too light in my opinion.

F350":3ijq8l50 said:
Just need to find some decent panels. The stuff at Lowes is too light in my opinion.

Find a good local feed store and you should be able to get panels from them. If that fails, you can always check out Tractor Supply (TSC).

Good luck.

grannysoo":rn9fhls2 said:
F350":rn9fhls2 said:

Find a good local feed store and you should be able to get panels from them. If that fails, you can always check out Tractor Supply (TSC).

Good luck.
the only thing i have found worth buying at TSC is their "heavy duty" panels that have been reduced because they are rusty and faded.

Latest posts