Newbie mistake

Help Support CattleToday:

Txwalt

Reaction score
Tooth your cow before you Vac her. Otherwise you'll be waiting around for the withdrawal period to ship her. She's got 4 front teeth left and 2 are loose. 8 week withdrawal, 6 weeks to go.

Walt

Txwalt":23u5z0ad said:
Tooth your cow before you Vac her. Otherwise you'll be waiting around for the withdrawal period to ship her. She's got 4 front teeth left and 2 are loose. 8 week withdrawal, 6 weeks to go.

Walt

Good education Walt.

Don't think they won't catch those antibiotics/vacs too.

Friend of mine is a buyer for older cows. He gets stuck with them all the time.

When the packer runs the test and turns them down, they go for dog food.

That's one reason culls go cheap......................

Angus/Brangus":35xttz23 said:
Txwalt":35xttz23 said:

Walt

O.k. Walt, please explain !! "No comprende" to the new majority!

Since I already gave her vaccinations and the withdrawal is 8 weeks, I need to keep her 8 weeks since the vaccinations were given. I should have checked her teeth before giving her the vac. Now I'm justing waiting out the withdrawal.

Walt

She's 15 years old and have only 4 front teeth out of 8 left. 2 are loose. Going by advice it would be time to ship her. She may not make it to next calving season without a lot of help from what I'm told.

Walt

Angus/Brangus":1qqov47y said:
Help me out here Walt. What do the teeth have to do with the vaccinations? Still a little new at this myself. The "teeth thing" is something I have never heard of.

This cow sounds like she has lost most of her teeth. And a cow needs teeth to graze. What he is basically saying is that if he had 'mouthed' her before vaccinating her, he would not have to wait 8 weeks before he can sell her.

What I would like to know is what vaccine you were using that has an 8 week withdrawl? I don't think I have ever seen any drug with that long of a withdrawl before.

Txwalt":2xypz6r9 said:

Walt

Just pull those 4 teeth and turn her out. She can eat more with just gums than she can with 4 teeth. :lol: :lol:

Txwalt":1exs0q4j said:
She's 15 years old and have only 4 front teeth out of 8 left. 2 are loose. Going by advice it would be time to ship her. She may not make it to next calving season without a lot of help from what I'm told.

Walt

Walt that is not an old cow this goes back to grass farming.
Plenty of girls under management here pushing 20.
Good grass good teeth healthy cattle.

I have one that we bought as a 0 about three years ago. She has popcorn teeth in front and stays fat. I don't know how her back teeth are.

Before I get in trouble she had a nice calf on her side and was cheap. We were planning on letting her raise the calf then sell both of them. Well she is still here and gives us nice calves.

randiliana":2uhre7st said:
What I would like to know is what vaccine you were using that has an 8 week withdrawl? I don't think I have ever seen any drug with that long of a withdrawl before.

Thinking the same thing, Ivomec has about the longest I've seen, 45 days?

Angus Brangus - is it withdrawal time you don't understand?

ALX

AngusLimoX":2ckcce67 said:
randiliana":2ckcce67 said:

Thinking the same thing, Ivomec has about the longest I've seen, 45 days?

Angus Brangus - is it withdrawal time you don't understand?

ALX

Conquest 6K, which is IBR, BVD, PI-3, BRSV vaccine has a 60 day withdrawl.

Kind of surprised me when I read the label.

Texas PaPaw":2vqsku19 said:
Conquest 6K, which is IBR, BVD, PI-3, BRSV vaccine has a 60 day withdrawl.

Kind of surprised me when I read the label.

Wow, most vaccines are 21 days. I think I would avoid that one in the future.

Caustic Burno":31gbxios said:

Have seen you mention this before, why does grass quality save their teeth?

aplusmnt":2rkivvkz said:
Caustic Burno":2rkivvkz said:

Have seen you mention this before, why does grass quality save their teeth?

The more viberous the grass the more the teeth wear, but that isn;t the big tooth wearing deal. Short grass causes injestion of more grit, i.e. dirt, sand, etc.. That's the booger that wears teeth out fast.

Caustic Burno":31ynr1t7 said:
Txwalt":31ynr1t7 said:

Walt

I hear ya and I'm gonna try to implement your advice starting this fall. If I can keep the cows here an extra 5 years that will turn into some serious profit margin down the road. This particular cow was purchased last Feb and gave me a good calf. I'll still make money on her once I sell her. If she dies on me I'll be in the hole.

Walt

Latest posts