Newbie at calving and wondering....

Help Support CattleToday:

Bear Bait

Reaction score
2 cows got out so neighbour came over to help get them back in. he mentioned the one cow is bagged up so I have her in a smaller corral to keep an eye on her. I also have a heifer out in the pasture with her tail held out but I can't tell if she is bagged. They are highlands so pretty darn shaggy so it tough to judge whats up with that. I bought them from a lady that informed me they were due in March at time of sale only to inform me 2 weeks ago I had maybe 3 total coming earlier. I asked how early and she said really early.

Is there any tips or helpful info anyone would like to pass along?

Get them somewhere you can keep an eye on them. bagging up isn't the only sign you want to look for-some cows do it right before others do it weeks before. Watch them and see if they are acting restless, getting up and down, going away from the herd, etc. They'll probably do fine, just keep tabs on them and jump in if you think they need help.

are they springing, vulva swelled and floppy, passing mucus from the same area. bagging up varys from cow to cow, as was previously stated, some bag up early some wait till the day they calve. they can calve up to 2 weeks early or 2 weeks late,

You say you have a heifer out in the pasture with her tail out. If she holds it out continuously, yes, she is probably in labor. Don't let her go long without having the calf. Signs of calving should progress, from restless, to very uncomforable, to tail out & straining a little, kicking at bellie some, to laying down & pushing. After a short time, you should see signs of a water bag, then feet (two feet with hooves pointed down, then the nose, then the calf. If it takes longer from the time of water bag to birth than 1 hour for a heifer, she needs assistance.
But, occasionally, if the calf is too big or malpresentation (head back, leg back, backwards, etc) than the calf can't get far enough up into the birth canal for the dam to go into full labor. In this case, dam needs assistance. That's why I ask if the heifer is still standing with tail out.

Theo nly times I've seen the pump hanlde look to the tail for more then a few minutes was right after the bull put the calf in there and just before the calf should be coming out

dun":3smrvzlo said:
Theo nly times I've seen the pump hanlde look to the tail for more then a few minutes was right after the bull put the calf in there and just before the calf should be coming out
:lol2: :lol2:

Thanks Bez+ for the vet advice but I am on first name bases with my vet and have been for many years. I am a newbie at calving but not at owning live stock.

She still hasn't calved but got word from breeder she has started calving so figure I am next. Having an issue right now with the breeder so I am a bit more apprehensive to the whole calving season. I was under the impression they well fullblood highlands calves. Now I find out my early calvers will be 1/2 angus. Apprently they didn't remove the angus bull in time. So, last year the breeder had several issues during calving because the bull was too big and the cows too small. Now I will have to deal with that little problem apprently as well. I am a little angry over the situation right now.

Latest posts