New watering/feeding site

Help Support CattleToday:

This our tank we set up a couple years ago. It has been a work in progress, I upgraded to better solar panels; at one time we had a wind generator, but lightning took it out. I do need to upgrade to a better charge controller, it just is not working like it should. I guess that's what I get for buying a cheap one. I have three one hundred amp hour batteries in an insulated box I built out of an old solid core door behind the panels. I have a submersible pump pulling water out of the drain like that drains the our alfalfa field year round.

20211207_155209.jpg20211207_155243.jpg

20211207_155310.jpg

This our tank we set up a couple years ago. It has been a work in progress, I upgraded to better solar panels; at one time we had a wind generator, but lightning took it out. I do need to upgrade to a better charge controller, it just is not working like it should. I guess that's what I get for buying a cheap one. I have three one hundred amp hour batteries in an insulated box I built out of an old solid core door behind the panels. I have a submersible pump pulling water out of the drain like that drains the our alfalfa field year round.

View attachment 10922View attachment 10923

View attachment 10924
Curious as to what the pump is, how high it lifts and how many gallons per hour?

Curious as to what the pump is, how high it lifts and how many gallons per hour?
It is just a 12v submersible pump. I am lifting the water about 4 or 5 feet, and it pumps about 10 gallons per minute. It only took about 30 minutes to fill up the tank, and I am guessing that is is about 350 gallons. I don't think I have enough battery for it to pump all night, but it starts back up not long after the sun comes up.

It is just a 12v submersible pump. I am lifting the water about 4 or 5 feet, and it pumps about 10 gallons per minute. It only took about 30 minutes to fill up the tank, and I am guessing that is is about 350 gallons. I don't think I have enough battery for it to pump all night, but it starts back up not long after the sun comes up.
I was curious because I'm always on the lookout for a better submersible pump. I pump up to about 12 feet with a submersible 24v bilge pump that is rated for 3,700 gallons per hour at zero head. They work great but I seem to wear one out per winter.

I was curious because I'm always on the lookout for a better submersible pump. I pump up to about 12 feet with a submersible 24v bilge pump that is rated for 3,700 gallons per hour at zero head. They work great but I seem to wear one out per winter.
This is the pump I am using. It has been pumping since the summer of 2017. It only shuts off once the batteries are drained down to 50%. I have the 12v model.

This is the pump I am using. It has been pumping since the summer of 2017. It only shuts off once the batteries are drained down to 50%. I have the 12v model.

I'd like to find that design with the volume I need. I like that it's brushless. The brushes eventually wear out on mine. I have my motion sensor set for the shortest run time but if the cows decide to park at the trough and tell stories all day it runs down my batteries and wears out my pump.

I'd like to find that design with the volume I need. I like that it's brushless. The brushes eventually wear out on mine. I have my motion sensor set for the shortest run time but if the cows decide to park at the trough and tell stories all day it runs down my batteries and wears out my pump.
I've experimented with lots of them. You can buy ones that are a step up quality wise off Alibaba for a reasonable price but it's a little confusing trying to order off there. The better ones generally come with a control box to help start up the pump then cut back power when it's going. I'll warn you if you're using during the cold that they can shut themselves down if that box gets too cold (-20C or below and mine needs some insulation/warming). Have to order a couple soon I can probably provide you a make/model of what we use.

Won't help you in an existing site but I've found if you make the ground uneven around the trough the cows won't loaf as much. For instance my solar pumphouse they have to step up their front feet on a platform to drink. Another I have random big stones sticking up around the trough. Been told a cement pad that slopes away from it will work too. Might help with your motion sensor. Maybe it only works on Prairie cows though (not used to uneven ground, lol)

I'd be careful on a cement pad that slopes away. I have one under my automatic waterers and when they slobber water out it builds up ice really fast.

Latest posts