New trunk saw............

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
........well new to me.....a guy had this loaded to take to sell for scrap metal (as prices are up) and I bought it from him for what amounts to around 70 cents a pound. Put a new carb kit in, new chain, some screws, plug boot cover, new fuel/oil lines, duckbill, new recoil rope, good cleaning, tuning and some TLC and it runs like new out of the box. This is the older metal case Super 2 version with the dual triggers for one-handed or two-handed comfort while using, pretty neat. It has what appears the original bar and the clutch gear looks hardly used, so I am guessing low hours. I have decided to carry it in my trunk. What do you carry in your trunk?

Z4gZBV2.jpg

jltrent":2hamcmnx said:
M-5":2hamcmnx said:
I don't have a trunk......

Here is my Truck saw........a 346xp Pro "NE" edition with dual chain brakes.

uUjIKkV.jpg

What's the extra gray plastic apparatus on the trigger handle end of the saw? The extra chain brake?

Nice garden!

cfpinz":2celbsz8 said:
jltrent":2celbsz8 said:
M-5":2celbsz8 said:
I don't have a trunk......

Here is my Truck saw........a 346xp Pro "NE" edition with dual chain brakes.

uUjIKkV.jpg

What's the extra gray plastic apparatus on the trigger handle end of the saw? The extra chain brake?

Nice garden!
Yes, as I have never seen one before on any saw. It works good as if the back hand comes off and barely hits it the chain locks up. Very neat feature that future saws I bet will have.

He is another future truck saw...to nice for a trunk saw.......this was a Christmas present and I have never started it yet. It is the latest Version 2 Stihl MS261 Pro saw that weighs noticeably less than the Version 1. ( you can tell the version difference by the clutch cover design)

blQZobk.jpg

1MDfjvu.jpg

ad7YMTi.jpg

I am setting here today killing time hoping for some weather to put up hay as I will never complain about rain as it has rained or acted it for at least two weeks straight. It looks like me, myself and I will be putting up 150 acres of hay as my son has a lot of things going on in his job and want be around much.

I said it's a great trunk saw, I didn't say I carry it much lol!
Trees do fall across the main road here once in a while, lots of beetle kill pine.. I just turn my truck around and use the flatdeck bumper to push them out of the way
That saw had picco chain on it, always was coming off, couldn't keep it tight, then I found I got it with the wrong chain, supposed to be ordinary 3/8th.. works much better now!

Nesikep":381w4v26 said:
I said it's a great trunk saw, I didn't say I carry it much lol!
Trees do fall across the main road here once in a while, lots of beetle kill pine.. I just turn my truck around and use the flatdeck bumper to push them out of the way
That saw had picco chain on it, always was coming off, couldn't keep it tight, then I found I got it with the wrong chain, supposed to be ordinary 3/8th.. works much better now!

I have had a full size 3/8 chain on a 50cc saw before (Stihl 026), but IMO it was over kill. I like the .325 setup better or 3/8's Picco. The older 50cc saws are slower of chain speed and do have better low end torque than the newer saws, but with the large 3/8 that is a pretty big bite for that size saw from my experience especially in hardwood. I have a 3/8 picco chain on a Stihl 026 right now and it is one of favorites and doesn't seem to come off no more than any other. Recon it was something else causing the chain to come off more?

Wish I had your talent. I think I cuss small engines especially weedeaters more than anything other than people's stupidity. Those 346xp saws may be the best saws ever made. Power to weight ratio is incredible. Even the die hard Stihl guys are always amazed when I break it out. I have one in each truck and am always looking for another one just because.

I don't think there was any other issue.. the saw is like new, no sprocket wear, etc.

I definitely won't be taking a couple strokes off the rakers right off the bat like I do with the big saws... The drivers of the picco chain are much shallower than the standard 3/8th, I figure that's the reason.. I think it's an 18" bar

SmokinM":2cbgpykl said:
Wish I had your talent. I think I cuss small engines especially weedeaters more than anything other than people's stupidity. Those 346xp saws may be the best saws ever made. Power to weight ratio is incredible. Even the die hard Stihl guys are always amazed when I break it out. I have one in each truck and am always looking for another one just because.
I'm a husky guy by nature, I like the ergonomics better than the stilhs, especially the prehistoric "cinder block" stihls like the 056's... That said, one of my go-to saws is the 044 I picked up for a steal of a deal.. runs awesome, feels good in your hand, and has great power to weight.. I have an 064 as well, its a much bigger saw.. Usually when I need a big saw I'll skip it and get a Husky 288 or 394... I have 5 husky 2100's I need to finish putting together.. them are big brutes!

Last saw I left in the trunk of a car got me in trouble with the spousal unit when it leaked bar oil all over the place.

Nesikep":2ydlizyo said:
SmokinM":2ydlizyo said:
I'm a husky guy by nature, I like the ergonomics better than the stilhs, especially the prehistoric "cinder block" stihls like the 056's... That said, one of my go-to saws is the 044 I picked up for a steal of a deal.. runs awesome, feels good in your hand, and has great power to weight.. I have an 064 as well, its a much bigger saw.. Usually when I need a big saw I'll skip it and get a Husky 288 or 394... I have 5 husky 2100's I need to finish putting together.. them are big brutes!

I really like the 044 also. Here is mine which is the latter version MS440. It is still dirty from when I cut a bunch of cedar, but a very low hour saw with like new compression.......

YfvVMyR.jpg

uD7qnZx.jpg

bIDyaSM.jpg

It looks absolutely filthy JL, I like these posts you do on chainsaws, I learn a lot. I got my old 1970's Farmboss changed over to electronic ignition, it really sings now, just gotta get time to tidy it up a bit needs all new rubber mounts on the handles.

Ken

Latest posts