New Truck

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent":2scd561r said:
John SD":2scd561r said:
I realize pickups have changed over the years, but after using my '85 F150 to pull my 16' bumper pull I decided never again. 6K of weight in the trailer is just too much for a steady diet. I put overload helper springs on. Helped some, but still no substitute for a 3/4 ton. And as others mentioned, consider the stopping power. 1/2 ton is lighter built all around, by design :idea:

All trucks have went down hill since these.
be140540ff05100a867abb0efa32cea6.jpg

Hot doggies :!: that there is the original crew cab convertible :p :p :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

denvermartinfarms":fv6j5wo2 said:
Brentp":fv6j5wo2 said:
I'd agree with Denver that the 1/2 ton Dodge with Eco diesel would be worth looking at. I'd buy one for sure if I hauled less frequently.
Dads had one for 10 months, got 74k miles on it now and hasn't had one problem with it. Gets 30mpg empty on the highway, 25mpg the rest of the time, pulling 7 or 8000lbs it gets down around 18mpg. Ford ecoboost won't get 30mpg empty or 18 pulling.
4x4? Will it run out pretty decent?

talltimber":29wj6gsq said:
denvermartinfarms":29wj6gsq said:
Brentp":29wj6gsq said:
I'd agree with Denver that the 1/2 ton Dodge with Eco diesel would be worth looking at. I'd buy one for sure if I hauled less frequently.
Dads had one for 10 months, got 74k miles on it now and hasn't had one problem with it. Gets 30mpg empty on the highway, 25mpg the rest of the time, pulling 7 or 8000lbs it gets down around 18mpg. Ford ecoboost won't get 30mpg empty or 18 pulling.
4x4? Will it run out pretty decent?
Yes, 4x4 crew cab. Runs excelent, has a 8spd automatic that you don't even know when it shifts. They are a 3.0 liter with 240hp and 420lbs of torque.

denvermartinfarms":1p0f8o8l said:
Dads had one for 10 months, got 74k miles on it now and hasn't had one problem with it.

74K miles in 10 months :shock: :shock: :shock: That kind of miles is in mail carrier territory :eek: :eek: :eek:

Is your dad in a business that requires a lot of driving, or retired and just does a LOT of travelling :?:

John SD":16menrfa said:
denvermartinfarms":16menrfa said:
Dads had one for 10 months, got 74k miles on it now and hasn't had one problem with it.

74K miles in 10 months :shock: :shock: :shock: That kind of miles is in mail carrier territory :eek: :eek: :eek:

Is your dad in a business that requires a lot of driving, or retired and just does a LOT of travelling :?:
He's does building and excavating and most of our jobs are 40 to 60 miles from home, he just get lots of miles going around to the jobs.

My dad has never had anything but half ton chevys and a sixteen foot trailer. It scares the shyt out of me to haul cattle with him but it gets done. :lol:
For flat ground with good trailer brakes it will work just fine.

yea.. whoever recommened a tundra.. yea please don't do that.

junk... junk .. junk.. you'll be replacing the transmission after some tows.

a F150 would be fine for you..

hillbilly beef man":1sjh4t2i said:
Brute 23":1sjh4t2i said:
Ford Ecoboost for a 1/2 ton :nod:

X2, but I am a little biased since I have one in the garage.

Seems like the appropriate place for a Ford :hide:

The reason the newer trucks have such high towing capacities is because of the bigger brakes afforded by low profile tires.. the rest of it is still a light duty truck. Also, I think the Fords and perhaps the others have truly proportional built-in trailer brake controllers, which helps a lot too...

However... There's only so much weight the truck has, and if your 12,000 lb (supposed payload of some of these new 150 series trucks) ever decides to squirm, a 5800 lb truck is just going to be along for the ride. My truck is 7500 lbs, and I feel comfortable hauling about 14,000 lbs for extended distances, any more than that and I think I'm starting to push the limits.. Granted my trailer is a bumper pull.

dun":1omfjm5d said:
hillbilly beef man":1omfjm5d said:
Brute 23":1omfjm5d said:
Ford Ecoboost for a 1/2 ton :nod:

X2, but I am a little biased since I have one in the garage.
Me too and me too
What kind of fuel mileage are y'all getting from the ecoboost? I've talked to several people with them who tell me on the highway they get about 20mpg, in town 12 to 14mpg and pulling they all say 6 to 10mpg.

I never saw 20. It was 17-18mpgs highway.... around 15 stop and go.... and 10-12 pulling... boat, mule, couple of heifers, that kind of stuff.

For me... I like the get up and go they have. Plus the rude and interior.

Only time I made it squirm was I had the whole bed full of bags of rye grass. It was pretty squirrely. Had 30 miles to drive and never went over 50 mph. Was wishing I had my 3/4 ton then.

Brute 23":h3mzwf73 said:
I never saw 20. It was 17-18mpgs highway.... around 15 stop and go.... and 10-12 pulling... boat, mule, couple of heifers, that kind of stuff.

Only time I made it squirm was I had the whole bed full of bags of rye grass. It was pretty squirrely. Had 30 miles to drive and never went over 50 mph. Was wishing I had my 3/4 ton then.
That mileage would keep me away from them.

denvermartinfarms":f8132c4z said:
What kind of fuel mileage are y'all getting from the ecoboost? I've talked to several people with them who tell me on the highway they get about 20mpg, in town 12 to 14mpg and pulling they all say 6 to 10mpg.

20-21 on the highway, just averaged 8.9 pulling a travel trailer with the arodynamics of a sail boat with the sail up on a 350 mile trip. I can get 11-14 pulling anything else with a lower profile. Gas runs 50-90 cents cheaper around here than diesel, so this is about as cheap cost per mile as I can get.

denvermartinfarms":df81hsuv said:
Brute 23":df81hsuv said:

What's the cost apples to apples on that dodge vs an ecoboost?

Brute 23":bnfxjcy5 said:
denvermartinfarms":bnfxjcy5 said:
Brute 23":bnfxjcy5 said:

What's the cost apples to apples on that dodge vs an ecoboost?

Well, on fuel the way I see it is diesel is 25 cents higher than gas here. If a ecoboost gets 9mpg pulling and a eco diesel gets 18 pulling, 25 cents isn't a big deal if a gallon go's double the distance.

It cost about 80$ to change the oil in a eco diesel, that's high but you only change it every 12000 miles. You have to buy DEF, but if you figure it in with your fuel it only raises your fuel about 8 cents a gallon.

Brute 23":31g8u8d7 said:

My 01' 5.3 got that good of mileage when it was new. Still gets 15 highway 12 with a trailer. Some ecoboost.

sim.-ang.king":16t1xlz4 said:
Brute 23":16t1xlz4 said:

My 01' 5.3 got that good of mileage when it was new. Still gets 15 highway 12 with a trailer. Some ecoboost.
In my book ford missed the boat on their advertising for the Ecoboost harping on its mileage. Mine gets low 20s on the highway, but so does half a dozen other half tons. Where they really shine is towing performance. 100% of torque at 1800 rpm and peak hp around 3500 rpm makes for a very plesant tow pig. No other half ton makes that much hp at that low rpm.

There's a lot to be said for having the right tool for the job. A Ecoboost or any other gas truck is fine most of the time. But when you need more you're out of luck. I'm a 1 ton single wheel diesel truck buyer. Because I tow 20k+ pounds at least 8k miles a year.

highgrit":2hel3a7n said:
There's a lot to be said for having the right tool for the job. A Ecoboost or any other gas truck is fine most of the time. But when you need more you're out of luck. I'm a 1 ton single wheel diesel truck buyer. Because I tow 20k+ pounds at least 8k miles a year.
Why single wheel?

Latest posts