New Truck

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a new truck soon. I have a 14ft stock trailer that I use. I'm wondering what the smallest truck I can get is. I'd really like to get a 1/2 ton, but will I have to do anything to make the suspension stronger? Those kinds of things.

Thanks

What weights will you be pulling?Feeders ,fats, old cows,lambs etc. Also, how often and how far.My fail safe advice is get a 3/4 ton at least but some of the new half=tons seem pretty beefy in the payload ratings. personally would rather have too much truck than not enough :2cents: -.01

Problem is not pulling its stopping plus suspension. If you are just hauling calves and such then maybe. For 1/2 ton I would check out the tundras if you want a v8.

I pull 8k lbs several thousand miles a year with a F-150 and have no complaints. Unless you are towing a 14ft every day a halfton will be fine. I pull a 16ft full of cows on occasion with mine.

A half ton will be fine. Buy or order one with the trailer tow package. Truck shopping is no different than buying anything else. Do your research and test drive all the brands. I make a list of the pro's and con's of each vehicle, then figure out which one is the best for you.

Thanks guys. I plan on hauling only a few times a year and that won't be too many head. We're a pretty small operation. I just need something more reliable than my 1994. I like the truck, it's just getting to the point of how much more money do I want to put into it.

I'm kind of leaning toward a Dogde at the moment. I've never had one, only Chevy trucks, but I've driven one before and really liked it.

Chevy's have a heavier suspension then a Ford or Dodge, so they can loads better. Pulled a 16' fully loaded for the past 10 years with a Chevy 1/2 ton 5.3, about twice a week in the summer time.

With a 14 ft, you can get away with a 1/2 ton. But I would get the beefiest motor option you can get, especially if you start pulling in hills.

JW IN VA":kircmard said:
Cousin who drove an 18 wheeler for a living said it was not what you could pull with but what you could stop the load with.
That's right, and if all your pulling is a 14ft trailer, it doesn't take a whole lot to stop it.

I'd agree with Denver that the 1/2 ton Dodge with Eco diesel would be worth looking at. I'd buy one for sure if I hauled less frequently.

Brentp":h8o0e45x said:
I'd agree with Denver that the 1/2 ton Dodge with Eco diesel would be worth looking at. I'd buy one for sure if I hauled less frequently.
Dads had one for 10 months, got 74k miles on it now and hasn't had one problem with it. Gets 30mpg empty on the highway, 25mpg the rest of the time, pulling 7 or 8000lbs it gets down around 18mpg. Ford ecoboost won't get 30mpg empty or 18 pulling.

I realize pickups have changed over the years, but after using my '85 F150 to pull my 16' bumper pull I decided never again. 6K of weight in the trailer is just too much for a steady diet. I put overload helper springs on. Helped some, but still no substitute for a 3/4 ton. And as others mentioned, consider the stopping power. 1/2 ton is lighter built all around, by design :idea:

John SD":1l9h5ofd said:
I realize pickups have changed over the years, but after using my '85 F150 to pull my 16' bumper pull I decided never again. 6K of weight in the trailer is just too much for a steady diet. I put overload helper springs on. Helped some, but still no substitute for a 3/4 ton. And as others mentioned, consider the stopping power. 1/2 ton is lighter built all around, by design :idea:

Trucks have gotten much heavier and more capable than they used to be. My dad's 95 f-350 weighs 5800 lbs and has a towing capacity of 10k, my 01 f-250 weighs 6,500 lbs and has a towing capicity of around 10k. My 11 f-150 weighs 6,500 lbs and has a tow rating of 11,300. Half tons of today are about the same as 3/4 of 10 years ago and ton of 20 years ago. Your 85 f-150 would be comparable to a Colorado or Tacoma today.

John SD":x1l26ydx said:

All trucks have went down hill since these.
be140540ff05100a867abb0efa32cea6.jpg

Latest posts