New Truck

Help Support CattleToday:

driven solely by emissions...old 5.9 was technologically a dinosaur by comparison to the 6.7. yer right theyre crappy...

Alberta farmer":amyp0h1c said:
Did Dodge really need a more powerful motor? Is the 6.7 that much superior for power?

Not so much the raw power, but rather the ability to make the power and meet emissions drove the cubic inch expansion.

Rod

Okay, nobody has seemed to ask the relevent questions yet. What ya haulin? How far? Any hills? You want to beat it up in pasture, it seems, what is the pasture like? What will you be doing with it MOST of the time?

My experience, and my lust, leads me to believe your best bet if you are going to beat the heck out of it is go Ford Super Duty. If you are hauling a lot of high weight trailers go with F-450. It is the most versatile, rugged, multi-purpose truck out there. Just make sure to take care of the trannie on time and the truck will take care of you and your business.

If you haul a lot, but don't go off road much, go with Chevy. The soft front end only matters if you spend a lot of time on rough ground.

If you have a lot of spare time to spend in the shop, waiting on repairs, go with Dodge. They are the strongest, and weakest, trucks there are. Think of a Brody Croyle kind of truck to get the picture. A great arm to throw the distance, but gets injured real easy.

As a great all-around truck, if you don't haul many heavy loads, I'd say an F-250 or 2500 would be great in any make. It then just depends on how rough a ride you like, and how much room you want in the cab. I like Ford best, but the trannie sure can get finicky if you don't treat her like she's the prom queen and you are the loser she chose to go with.

I also like the advice of one old beater still just barely breathing as a pasture truck, and a new beauty that you haul into town with.

Good luck on your purchase!

i hate to be a basher but if you can find anyone that owns a 07 or newer super duty and likes it id love to meet him. between being unreliable and the terrible gas mileage i dont know anyone who is happy they bought one..the 450 included

I got an o6 Ford F350 with a gas engine and have no complaints, it does what I need to. From what I hear I get almost as good on mileage as people are getting with the 6.4. I may not set no pulling speed records but it does it, bought the truck with real low mileage a lot cheaper than a new one. One thing I see about the 6.4's I don't like is if you need much done to the engine tha cab has to come off. That will be expensive when the warranty is gone. I do some service work for a dealer and one of the last time i was in there there were 3 or 4 with cab coming off or going back on.

pwilli3":hshlcf8w said:
If you have a lot of spare time to spend in the shop, waiting on repairs, go with Dodge. They are the strongest, and weakest, trucks there are. Think of a Brody Croyle kind of truck to get the picture. A great arm to throw the distance, but gets injured real easy.

Ummmm, you do realize that Ford, Chevy, and Dodge have nearly identical service records and reliability ratings, right? That each of big companies that rate reliability swap places around between the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge 3500s from year to year and model to model?

Fact is, none of the big 3 have particularly sterling service records. Chevy's supposed bullet proof Alisson has had issues since day 1 and the Duramax will always have injector issues. We won't even bother discussing Navistar nor will we mention the dual mass flywheels that flew apart regularly. And Dodge once had those beautiful NV5600s only to replace them with a garbage ZF gearbox and a nearly identical garbage dual mass flywheel. Oddly enough, Dodge now has one of the stoutest automatics going though, having spent so many years with the weakest.

Rod

I like blue, you like red. So who gives a flip?

Just wait till 2010. Ford is building it's own diesel and will go away from the international supplied motors.

All this brand bashing is like the threads on Black Angus, Red Angus, Brangus, Herefords, Longhorns, Short Horns, Charolais, etc. as far as which is best.

dieselbeef":1fqnib0v said:
i hate to be a basher but if you can find anyone that owns a 07 or newer super duty and likes it id love to meet him. between being unreliable and the terrible gas mileage i dont know anyone who is happy they bought one..the 450 included

I have an 07 350 and have had no problems with it. Only have 16k on it but it stays hooked to the trailer most of the time. You are right on the fuel mileage but I didn't buy it for the that.

Our company owns 10 Chevy duramax diesel trucks 02-08. These range from the 2500, 3500 to 4500. I would not recommend the 4500. They are a rough ride. I love the others. We tow 10,000lbs all day long with the 2500 and 3500's. They have enough power. The transmission works great slowing you down when you want to stop. You can just tap your brakes and by the time you get to the stop sign, you should be stopped. I have had a few injectors go bad.

For my money Dodge has been the best all around truck for me. Though if I did go with something else I would go with Ford.

I like my 1980 silverado. Haven't had a need for somthing else or newer. ;-)

I think it's hard to beat the Dodge for an all around ranch / work truck. The older ones are better in my opinion than the newer ones.. since my 08 just came back from the shop after having tie rod ends and a stabilizer bar put in.. at 20K miles. That's pretty sorry.

Had a Ford F350 4WD. Nothing but problems - electrical and trans. My Dodge diesel 2500 works great - pulls hard, has better mileage and does the job without a hiccup. The only problem I have experience in this '05 model was a o-ring seal that gave way in on of the fuel lines at the injector, but this was replaced free of charge by Dodge.

dieselbeef":2l49a9di said:

I am very happy with my 07 6.0. Its by far my best superduty to date out of 5. still have one 7.3 with 275k on it. This truck has the best brakes I have ever owned too, being that all my other trucks were drw, I had to have them turned every 10k. I have 83k now and havnt touched them. These 6.0 got good in the end of production and then they had to go with the 6.4 that cant drive a mile on a gal of fuel. never owned a chevy, mainly cause they seem to light but seem good. owned a 94 dodge that fell apart on me and it seems they are all built like k-cars. the cummins is the best motor by far tho.

Latest posts