new truck

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence said:
Lucky said:
Nothing wrong with oversized mud grips on a work truck. 6" lifts, big fancy wheels, and the biggest tires that will fit is another story. If you need a 6' ladder to get in the bed I'd say you don't have a work truck.

I checked the 6.7 powerstroke milage yesterday and the computer was up to 13.4 mpg. Maybe it's getting better.

Thing is lots a folks think cause they drive the truck to work....it's a work truck.

What do you consider a work truck? I drove Dodges for 20 years and then bought 2 Fords, ones a work truck one is definitely not used for "work" but I'm not afraid to use it.

Lucky said:
callmefence said:
Lucky said:
Nothing wrong with oversized mud grips on a work truck. 6" lifts, big fancy wheels, and the biggest tires that will fit is another story. If you need a 6' ladder to get in the bed I'd say you don't have a work truck.

I checked the 6.7 powerstroke milage yesterday and the computer was up to 13.4 mpg. Maybe it's getting better.

Thing is lots a folks think cause they drive the truck to work....it's a work truck.

What do you consider a work truck? I drove Dodges for 20 years and then bought 2 Fords, ones a work truck one is definitely not used for "work" but I'm not afraid to use it.

A work truck will pull my equipment to the work. It'll drive through and over the brush . I can back it into a old corner brace to push it out of my way. I have no problem welding a temporary wire roller to the bed . It also serves as a welding table to build gates.It also Carry's my tools, a welder a air compressor and has a hay spear. It also serves as a air conditioned and heated break room. And my main office.
And occasionally a place to take a nap. ... what do you consider a work truck??

Hmmm... well I don't purposely tear up my truck or do stuff to it that's gonna cost me a bunch of money. Not saying that you do but I know guys that destroy one in two years park it on the fence row and get another and say it was a "work truck". I'd say we are on the same page. I know I don't use one like you do because we have different lines of work but whatever. On the rare occasion we go out to eat or take a trip I do think it's nice to have a nice truck that's not piled to the roof with junk, so we try to keep two.

Lucky said:
Hmmm... well I don't purposely tear up my truck or do stuff to it that's gonna cost me a bunch of money. Not saying that you do but I know guys that destroy one in two years park it on the fence row and get another and say it was a "work truck". I'd say we are on the same page. I know I don't use one like you do because we have different lines of work but whatever. On the rare occasion we go out to eat or take a trip I do think it's nice to have a nice truck that's not piled to the roof with junk, so we try to keep two.
Hmmm
I didn't put words in you're mouth.

I don't recall saying I didn't have a go to town vehicle...I also tend to get 250,000 plus out of a work truck. And I don't see how using a truck for what you bought for is costing you money... course you never answered the question you asked me... That tells me all I need to know.

You're getting a little testy over this work truck deal. I use my work truck as I see fit. I don't baby it but I don't try to destroy it either. If something happens it happens. I know where you're coming from with using a truck for what you bought it for. At the end of the day it's a piece of equipment just like the tractor or the welder. I figure the only way to pay for a truck is to use, most don't think that way and I don't have a problem with that. To each his own.

I would pay zero attention to any onboard computer for mileage.

The ones I posted are from known distance & known fuel amounts, computers onboard can be way out either way.

The 7 plus litre gas engine is a joke IMO. Of course it has no official mileage figures.....they do not want to scare those off they may have hooked with the sales pitch....lol.

The makers can play it whatever way they want, it may match the diesel, far surpass it ? mmm...yeah, nah....not with that displacement with OHV and no turbo.

Better with a proper jap truck, yah know, with a steel bed etc, probably many country miles better...

Had a neighbor growing up would buy a "new" farm truck about once a year. Probably never paid over $1k in today's money for one. I remember at one time this truck was a 2wd 4 cyl ranger. One day heard an awful racket coming up the road. He had two wagons hooked to that ranger. Both had 8 rolls of hay. He wasn't winning any races but he got done what was needed. And didn't make payments. His wife drove the go to town vehicle.

Lucky said:
You're getting a little testy over this work truck deal. I use my work truck as I see fit. I don't baby it but I don't try to destroy it either. If something happens it happens. I know where you're coming from with using a truck for what you bought it for. At the end of the day it's a piece of equipment just like the tractor or the welder. I figure the only way to pay for a truck is to use, most don't think that way and I don't have a problem with that. To each his own.
Lol.i just gave my opinion and I think I have a qualified opinion. You check back on who got testy...
Again what do you consider a work truck.?

callmefence said:
Lucky said:
Lol.i just gave my opinion and I think I have a qualified opinion. You check back on who got testy...

Cmon' Fence in every reply I said I think we are on the same page on what a work truck is.

If I ever get my Corona stimulus check I'm spending it on a set of fancy wheels and mud grips. Just to try them out. Lol

Lucky said:
callmefence said:
Lucky said:

Cmon' Fence in every reply I said I think we are on the same page on what a work truck is.

If I ever get my Corona stimulus check I'm spending it on a set of fancy wheels and mud grips. Just to try them out. Lol

That's why I don't understand why you won't answer the same question you asked me.
My gosh I typed like two paragraph s . Had to get the dictionary out and everything ( keep it in the glovebox in my work truck)..lol

No check here either , I'll just go to work I guess.

Brute 23 said:
I dont understand the need to tell some one else what THEIR truck is or isn't. If they cut the check they can call it a be nice boat if they want.
He ask me what I considered a work truck...lol
I don't know why folks get so worked up about it. **** a ice cream truck is a work truck. I was just joining in the discussion. ....try not to let your imagination run away from you brute. Nobody's talking about you..... although I'm always ready to learn, I love to see how you rig up a truck. Since I'm rigging one right now, I'd love some pointers.

Brute 23 said:
At least own it fence... that innocent bs doest suit you. This is like the 3rd or 4th time one of these threads have ended like this. We dont expect any thing less from you. :lol: I knew what you were doing... that's why I shot back.
I'm not Innocent by any means, but I say what I think and I'm honest. You can call me on anything I say and I ll prove it. I'm really sorry you don't like me entering a conversation , but I ain't stopping. Show me exactly where I've done anything out of line, ...and why does this conversation have to end. He'll let's show our rigs, explain why their set up that way. And learn something from each other.

I think we have all clearly explained what we need out of a truck and why.

You need to run over posts and and pull 30K.

I need to check cattle, go in to the occasional meeting in down town hell, and pull a split tail home every now and then.

Nothing wrong with either :D

Some good info here ...................

hHda2iQ.gif

My main reason for the 50 questions on my end is I'm battle the issue I think most of us do in this business... how many vehicles are too many? :)

In all seriousness I really like having a half ton to zip around in. Ideally that would be my nice truck.

I would like a gas 3/4 or 1 ton to feed and check cattle and what not on a daily basis.

Lastly, I would like a good diesel 1 ton for when I do need to pull the stuff out to WTX or STX or move equipment.

I have a paid for f150 2wd v6 that is cosmetically run but mechanically sound and a pretty nice, 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel in my drive way. :) Both are in between every thing I just listed as being nice to have. I'm trying to figure out how to head in that direction with out dropping a bunch of money in vehicles.

Its different in you have a wife and she can have the go to town vehicle. That really helps.

I'm a real cheap skate i guess. I try to walk the line with ONE truck. I TRY to keep it nice enough to go into town if need be without too much embarrassment and I also drive it through pastures, mud, sand knobs, pull hay wagons, cattle trailers and haul the tractor over to the other farm. I keep good rubber on it and keep up with the maintenance. I wouldn't call it a work truck, perhaps a farm truck? Better yet, a hobby truck :cowboy:
When I was doing contract plumbing in TX, my WORK truck was everything that has been previously mentioned in above posts. (Except for the portable glove box library :lol: )
I would love to have 2 separate trucks, one for farm use and one to keep nice for cruising around town in...but I don't have row crop money(credit lines?)...

Latest posts