new truck

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
my 2006 silverado duramax is starting to wear out. i replaced ball joints, pitman arms, steering box, tie rods. then the power steering pump went out. i was puliing a hopper with three tons of 24,6,12 fertilixzer and went to stop. no brakes and couldn't turn in to driveway. Replaced with a new pump and on the stupid thing started squeeling. Tried tightening the belt, nope a defective new part. It only has 249,600 miles on it but thinking of buying a new truck. this one will be a gasser. thinking of a ford F250 with 4 wheel drive. i dont know anybody who has one so looking for a little feed back. thanks in advance. Bill

papavillars said:
my 2006 silverado duramax is starting to wear out. i replaced ball joints, pitman arms, steering box, tie rods. then the power steering pump went out. i was puliing a hopper with three tons of 24,6,12 fertilixzer and went to stop. no brakes and couldn't turn in to driveway. Replaced with a new pump and on the stupid thing started squeeling. Tried tightening the belt, nope a defective new part. It only has 249,600 miles on it but thinking of buying a new truck. this one will be a gasser. thinking of a ford F250 with 4 wheel drive. i dont know anybody who has one so looking for a little feed back. thanks in advance. Bill

Ford sure is bragging on that new 7.3 gas engine. Buy one and test it for us.
My 19 year old truck is coming up on retirement.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2019/08/01/ford-73-liter-V8-best-in-class-gas-power-torque-heavy-duty-pickup.html

Few guys I know that have them Ford 6.2 gassers love them. I'm sure there's some flaws like anything else. I personally still have my heart set on the 6.7. that's also just the diesel guy that I am tho

Caustic Burno said:
papavillars said:

Ford sure is bragging on that new 7.3 gas engine. Buy one and test it for us.
My 19 year old truck is coming up on retirement.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2019/08/01/ford-73-liter-V8-best-in-class-gas-power-torque-heavy-duty-pickup.html

What is the mpg on those and do they cost around 50K?

At $50,000. and I keep my trucks usually about fifteen years that comes to $3,333. per year of cost plus regular maintenaince. That means you must really like a new truck and its warranty. Paid $31,000. for this 2006 duramax and said never again would i buy myself a new truck. I always keep my wife in a new vehicle but i guess its time to open the wallet. I will probably keep this 2006 as a farm truck, and drive the new one back and forth to the farm.

papavillars said:
At $50,000. and I keep my trucks usually about fifteen years that comes to $3,333. per year of cost plus regular maintenaince. That means you must really like a new truck and its warranty. Paid $31,000. for this 2006 duramax and said never again would i buy myself a new truck. I always keep my wife in a new vehicle but i guess its time to open the wallet. I will probably keep this 2006 as a farm truck, and drive the new one back and forth to the farm.

You could buy a lightly used truck and save a bundle.

yeah thats is my thought also. the wife said at my age this would probably be my last new truck. she pointed out we are leaving two farms and several properties to the kids so why not buy a new one. Why, because I am cheap!

papavillars said:

I'm in the same boat except my 2008 Duramax is rusting out. Redid the front end/steering as you did last year. Only has 200k. Power locks and windows are quitting on me now.
Was thinking exactly like you are; making the transition to a Ford gasser. Definitely lightly used for me though. Keep us posted on what you decide please.

Why would you move to petrol engine again, diesels have more torque at low rpm.....

in the 70's a 4, 5 or 5,8 was a large engine, now a 3 liter is a large engine in petrol, diesels are 2 and 3l in jap trucks mainly and some small sedans, 1 and 2l petrol turbo are popular.

We have prob moved more toward Asia and EU thinking, but if they were going back to petrol, I sort of wonder why they have not made a 3 or maybe 4l v8 with turbo etc...

My jap 3l diesel gets about 19mpg while carting around 3 metric tonne, I am wondering what a 7l gas engine carting 3t would return, what are the usage figures with no load ?

Bought a 2019 F350 ext. cab single wheel with a flatbed last July. It's 4x4 and has the 6.2 gas. I got the STX model and think I paid around 40k without the bed or feeder. Love the truck has close to 17,000 miles on it now. Fuel milage isn't very good but that really doesn't matter. If it last 200k the way I'm using it I'll be happy.

I have a 2017 SRW F-350 6.2 with the 4:30 rear end and have been well pleased. It pulls 15k lbs just fine if you will let it rev on hills. I get 8-9mpg towing in the mountains. If you are looking at new though I would seriously look at a 7.3 instead of a 6.2 for a farm truck. The 7.3 is supposed to get better MPG when loaded.

greggy said:
Why would you move to petrol engine again, diesels have more torque at low rpm.....

in the 70's a 4, 5 or 5,8 was a large engine, now a 3 liter is a large engine in petrol, diesels are 2 and 3l in jap trucks mainly and some small sedans, 1 and 2l petrol turbo are popular.

We have prob moved more toward Asia and EU thinking, but if they were going back to petrol, I sort of wonder why they have not made a 3 or maybe 4l v8 with turbo etc...

My jap 3l diesel gets about 19mpg while carting around 3 metric tonne, I am wondering what a 7l gas engine carting 3t would return, what are the usage figures with no load ?
EPA regulations and cost to run one. ...

Well they would alk have too meet emissions ?

And what costs....dieseld are expensive to replace but, so are modern gas engines unless an old clunker 350 or 351....

Forgot to add I got the 4:30 gears like Hillbilly beef. I have a diesel pickup too so haven't pulled much with this one but have hauled 15 mamas to the sale in a 28' stock trailer, moved about 150 bales with a 10 bale inline dump, and pulled a tracked skidsteer on a 25' gooseneck quite a bit. I'm really glad I bought this truck with the 6.2 and the 4:30 gears. It only gets about 10 mpg but has a heavy flatbed and a 1,500# feedbox on it all the time. I'd look into the new gas engine

greggy said:

Everything about them is more expensive here.

They get better fuel economy, but diesel is more expensive, so that's a wash. Only if you're hooked to something and pulling hard 90% of the time, a diesel might show some fuel savings.

There is also the emissions systems that are failure prone and cost a bundle to fix. Deleting is an option, but that's a whole other can of worms, and say goodbye to the warranty.

You can replace a gas engine for less than it costs to redo the injection system on a diesel.

Focus on the 6.2 with the 6 speed transmission.

7.3 is looking like an awesome motor, but lots of questions about the 10 speed it is mated with. Lots of reports of them not getting along well - clashing and banging when dropping gears.

Best time to buy a vehicle right now, even better if you can wait a couple months. I would wait as long as possible. Ford is losing its best selling truck title to GM this year in a big way and has to get serious about moving inventory in a historic way if they are going to be #1 selling truck for the 43rd year.

Truck sales totals so far in 2020............The new Chevy trucks, as you have to look close, are almost a copy of the Ford designs. I guess if you can't beat them then joint them.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2020-us-pickup-truck-sales-figures-by-model/

Latest posts