new truck

Help Support CattleToday:

bball said:
I'm a real cheap skate i guess. I try to walk the line with ONE truck. I TRY to keep it nice enough to go into town if need be without too much embarrassment and I also drive it through pastures, mud, sand knobs, pull hay wagons, cattle trailers and haul the tractor over to the other farm. I keep good rubber on it and keep up with the maintenance. I wouldn't call it a work truck, perhaps a farm truck? Better yet, a hobby truck :cowboy:
When I was doing contract plumbing in TX, my WORK truck was everything that has been previously mentioned in above posts. (Except for the portable glove box library :lol: )
I would love to have 2 separate trucks, one for farm use and one to keep nice for cruising around town in...but I don't have row crop money(credit lines?)...

That's what I have been doing the past 5 or 6 years but the truck has been too nice for the ag community and too beat up for the non-ag people. You cant win. :) Ag people call you counterfeit and city people call you trashy.

Brute 23 said:
I think we have all clearly explained what we need out of a truck and why.

You need to run over posts and and pull 30K.

I need to check cattle, go in to the occasional meeting in down town be nice, and pull a split tail home every now and then.

Nothing wrong with either :D

So why the big tires..? O. .. :idea: ..I'm sorry brute that's gotta be rough... LMAO

callmefence said:
Brute 23 said:

I need to check cattle, go in to the occasional meeting in down town be nice, and pull a split tail home every now and then.

So why the big tires..? O. .. :idea: ..I'm sorry brute that's gotta be rough... LMAO

It's better than being cold at night :kid:

Brute 23 said:
callmefence said:
Brute 23 said:

It's better than being cold at night :kid:
I been raking hay today with a Toyota tundra, regular size tires... :cowboy:

I have planted oats/ rye with a grain drill and a kawasaki mule. It was too wet for a tractor but the mule with it's big, wide, mud grips was skipping right across it. It was sprouting by the the time you made it to the turn row and was heading back.

If you can run regular tires... it ain't no work truck. :cowboy:

Brute 23 said:

https://youtu.be/9I51JXpcLwk

b6

:hat:

Need to start a deal like Dale Brisby.

If you cant run over a post... it ain't no work truck

If you got more chrome than a black Hereford... it ain't no work truck

If you can hold more than 2 passengers... it ain't no work truck

:lol:

Need to figure out how to do a poll on here and ask if slightly oversized mud grips are acceptable on farm trucks. See what the CT members have to say.

callmefence said:
Brute 23 said:

b6
Screenshot-20200511-091900-2.png

Is that considered a work truck?

jltrent said:
callmefence said:
Brute 23 said:

b6
Screenshot-20200511-091900-2.png

Is that considered a work truck?

I've listed our fleet of work trucks, the wife doesn't let me drive her 4runner...
Might as well show my go to town rig.....

Gee wiz I missed out on all this.

The truck I sold last year was a 1 ton dually 4x4 flatbed. It had an aux diesel tank, gas compressor, montezuma toolbox, and enough "stuff" behind the seat to get me out of most any bind. I had the welder and torch rig mounted on it for years but rigged up a trailer and moved the welder to the trailer. Welder was on a skid so a few bolts and I could set it back on the truck. Heat and air worked great for all the "waiting" that goes on in a work/ranch truck. It was my office too. We had a lease place at the time so moved allot of hay, equipment, and cattle around. We also spent about 1,500 hours on a dozer and skid steer clearing the place I have now so it needed to do the daily maintenance on that stuff. Built probably 20,000' of fence and a set of corrals so it had to move that junk around too. Had that rig for 11 years and it was great. Oh yea it had a big front bumper so I could knock a post down going forward or backwards. This truck had various sorts of tires on it, from mud to street or whatever was cheapest at the time. Don't really need a rig like that anymore so sold it.

Current work truck has a Deweze arm bed and feeder on it with a Ranch Hand bumper on the front and a bag of tools behind the seat. Since we built the barn I keep the compressor, toolbox, welder, and fuel tank there and just use the bed to load them up as needed. It's still an office of sorts, dirty as heck, and keeps me warm or cool. Back in January I was checking heifers and had an old wooden fence post get hung up under it, the mud is still on the steering wheel and seat from that deal. I think I've washed it twice to get the windows clean.

I think what you call a work truck changes with your needs. Shoot my wife won't buy a new car and calls the old beater she drives her work car. It has a dent in door and it doesn't bother her a bit to let her employees take it when she needs supplies. We pretty much share the new dually for going on longer trips or to see the Grandkids.

Latest posts