New Truck

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":yc0yk6cd said:
JMJ Farms":yc0yk6cd said:
Caustic Burno":yc0yk6cd said:
Looking at a Z71 has 11000 to 12500 lbs towing capacity depending on power plant.

These were always my favorites. Drove them for years. Biggest problem for me was moving hay. I've got a 10 bale in-line hay trailer. Gooseneck. Had several Z71s with 5.7s. And then bought one with the 6.2. Plenty of engine. But the suspension couldn't "tote" the weight and would try to run it hot very quickly. That's the only reason I ever went to a 3/4 ton.

I am not getting rid of my 7.3.
Was just wanting something if I got in a bind and had to pull a load of calves to the salebarn.

Seriously thinking about doing this with my Cummins. Make it my work truck and buy a half ton for everyday. Gonna probably wait another year or so. Hard to be those Z71s. I've had a dozen or so. Never had to walk. I do like the FX4s better as far as looks. I need to sell all the cows, farm, equipment, dogs, and everything else that doesn't involve hunting and fishing and find me an old worn out Toyota and get my priorities back in order. Raise cows and be broke or hunt/fish and be broke? :?:

Caustic Burno":5qupynad said:
JMJ Farms":5qupynad said:
Caustic Burno":5qupynad said:
Looking at a Z71 has 11000 to 12500 lbs towing capacity depending on power plant.

These were always my favorites. Drove them for years. Biggest problem for me was moving hay. I've got a 10 bale in-line hay trailer. Gooseneck. Had several Z71s with 5.7s. And then bought one with the 6.2. Plenty of engine. But the suspension couldn't "tote" the weight and would try to run it hot very quickly. That's the only reason I ever went to a 3/4 ton.

I am not getting rid of my 7.3.
Was just wanting something if I got in a bind and had to pull a load of calves to the salebarn.
Save your money for hunting and fishing things and if you get in a bind hire someone to haul a load.

JMJ Farms":1j2ssu70 said:
cfpinz":1j2ssu70 said:
JMJ Farms":1j2ssu70 said:
Just put a $4300 turbo on mine. Like I said they are the gifts that keep on giving.

What happened to your turbo?

I can't answer that with certainty. But here's my educated guess. The various exhaust components, namely the DPF, restricts enough airflow that you end up with carbon buildup on/in the actuator and then the turbo. They told me that it possibly would only need the wastegate cleaned. Knew I wouldn't be the lucky. I do know that it's a result of exhaust system components. DEF also not working at the moment. My original post was a little misleading. The part supplier that the diesel shop is taking their sweet time. They are actually putting the turbo on next week. Power is way off when towing. Took it to RAM dealership and they quoted $8k for a turbo. I told them their breath stank. That's highway robbery. $4300 made my head hurt. But what do you do? $4300 or $60k. I'm gonna fix it and delete it. 140k miles and I should have already deleted it. I honestly believe that if I had deleted it at the end of warranty that the turbo would have never failed.

Regen puts the turbo and engine through severe heat cycles as well.

Caustic Burno":os8nbept said:

Im not a fan of the 1/2 tons. They ride really good but are very light duty for any kind of pulling.

The 3/4 ton with the 6.0L are solid trucks all the way around IMO.

The diesels cost more but really hold their value.

I am not crazy about the new diesels and DEF fluid. We are going through the EPA whoas on diesels like we did gassers in the seventies. Took twenty years to get that mess lined out, I don't have the time for the diesels.
If the government would leave the car makers alone they would pump out diesels that would last forever again. My 95 7.3 is still running the roads and had 400k on it when I sold it.

JMJ Farms":1gylekeu said:
I can't answer that with certainty. But here's my educated guess. The various exhaust components, namely the DPF, restricts enough airflow that you end up with carbon buildup on/in the actuator and then the turbo. They told me that it possibly would only need the wastegate cleaned. Knew I wouldn't be the lucky. I do know that it's a result of exhaust system components. DEF also not working at the moment. My original post was a little misleading. The part supplier that the diesel shop is taking their sweet time. They are actually putting the turbo on next week. Power is way off when towing. Took it to RAM dealership and they quoted $8k for a turbo. I told them their breath stank. That's highway robbery. $4300 made my head hurt. But what do you do? $4300 or $60k. I'm gonna fix it and delete it. 140k miles and I should have already deleted it. I honestly believe that if I had deleted it at the end of warranty that the turbo would have never failed.

The actuator was sticking and making the exhaust brake flutter on my '07 6.7, I pulled the steel tube running from the exhaust manifold up to the sensor on front pass side of engine and blew it out with compressed air. Acting relatively normal now.

I highly suggest removing the emissions as soon as the warranty runs out, if not sooner, on the Cummins. We've picked up a couple miles per gallon on each of them, and the power difference is an eye-opener. Plus the engine oil is so much cleaner at 5k intervals, makes you wonder how much damage the EGR system is doing to your engine internally. Your crankcase vent is plumbed into your air intake tube just before your turbo, which in turn coats your turbo fins and attracts contaminants. I removed ours and vented them to the atmosphere just below the frame.

BobbyLummus1":2gzjog0k said:
on my 3rd 6.7 powerstroke , 40-50k a year most years pulling . Ford got it this time , anybody not bias thats knows modern diesel trucks knows this

That's encouraging, I just ordered one a couple weeks ago.

How many miles have you put on each one total? And what are you using them for?

cfpinz":1rbmcdwp said:
JMJ Farms":1rbmcdwp said:

The actuator was sticking and making the exhaust brake flutter on my '07 6.7, I pulled the steel tube running from the exhaust manifold up to the sensor on front pass side of engine and blew it out with compressed air. Acting relatively normal now.

I highly suggest removing the emissions as soon as the warranty runs out, if not sooner, on the Cummins. We've picked up a couple miles per gallon on each of them, and the power difference is an eye-opener. Plus the engine oil is so much cleaner at 5k intervals, makes you wonder how much damage the EGR system is doing to your engine internally. Your crankcase vent is plumbed into your air intake tube just before your turbo, which in turn coats your turbo fins and attracts contaminants. I removed ours and vented them to the atmosphere just below the frame.

Removing the emissions system doesn't work if you live in attainment counties in Texas. Can't pass inspection so no plates.

Caustic Burno":3pvjrm50 said:
Removing the emissions system doesn't work if you live in attainment counties in Texas. Can't pass inspection so no plates.

I've read that there are ways to remove/disable emissions systems that will appear stock, but haven't done it that way myself.

cfpinz":2szwv1w4 said:
Caustic Burno":2szwv1w4 said:

I've read that there are ways to remove/disable emissions systems that will appear stock, but haven't done it that way myself.

They run emissions test here.

JMJ Farms":3o681qta said:
cfpinz":3o681qta said:
JMJ Farms":3o681qta said:
Just put a $4300 turbo on mine. Like I said they are the gifts that keep on giving.

What happened to your turbo?

A turbo is cheap and easy to replace. A direct replacement turbo out of China is $700, the delete kit with programmer and SS pipe and muffler is $2k. Vincent and I had my truck done in less than 3 start to finish. You want the quiet SS muffler not the free flow, I screwed that choice up.

JMJ Farms":srzk2jb3 said:
My opinion and my opinion only. Ford makes the best TRUCK.

I have not owned a Ford in a long time. I have been running K1500s equipped with air lift bags up to 250 to 300K miles, and then using them for a parts truck. What makes Ford the best truck today?

Stocker Steve":3o8eqkhc said:
JMJ Farms":3o8eqkhc said:
My opinion and my opinion only. Ford makes the best TRUCK.

I have not owned a Ford in a long time. I have been running K1500s equipped with air lift bags up to 250 to 300K miles, and then using them for a parts truck. What makes Ford the best truck today?
The steering and hubs on the front end of 4x4 GM trucks are definitely wear items. And the u joints belong on a tonka toy.

Caustic Burno":2ohhqrz1 said:
I am not crazy about the new diesels and DEF fluid. We are going through the EPA whoas on diesels like we did gassers in the seventies. Took twenty years to get that mess lined out, I don't have the time for the diesels.
If the government would leave the car makers alone they would pump out diesels that would last forever again. My 95 7.3 is still running the roads and had 400k on it when I sold it.

The DEF is not a big deal people just like some thing to complain about. The thing about buying a diesel IMO is dont baby it. Run it hard, do your maintenance and they are fine.

cfpinz":1c7zolpb said:
Caustic Burno":1c7zolpb said:

Might ask Volkswagen about fooling the emissions test. Only a matter of time until the changing or disabling the emissions system will get you a fine will be higher than the savings.

Caustic Burno":3qoatvt7 said:
the 7.3 IDI's are probably the reason they went draconian on diesel exhaust laws!

JMJ, Lot of people take off working turbos from their trucks.. Used Holset HE351VE with actuator, usually around 50-100K miles on it, $400.. I have about 3 of them and run one on my truck. Yours could have been rebuilt for FAR less money. And if you're doing a delete anyhow, you could go with a fixed type turbo, also far less money.

Nesikep":2wp5bot9 said:
JMJ, Lot of people take off working turbos from their trucks.. Used Holset HE351VE with actuator, usually around 50-100K miles on it, $400.. I have about 3 of them and run one on my truck. Yours could have been rebuilt for FAR less money. And if you're doing a delete anyhow, you could go with a fixed type turbo, also far less money.

Like I mentioned earlier my original post was a bit misleading. Not intentionally. I've ordered the turbo. Was supposed to be here two weeks ago. They quoted me $4300. But they don't have it yet and I haven't paid for it yet. So I still have options. And I'm most certainly interested in any ideas any of you have. The problem is I have limited knowledge when it comes to engines and turbos. Your proposal sounds pretty good to me. I will try to learn more about what you're talking about. True Grit also had a pretty good suggestion. I was gonna call him today and talk to him about but I've been slammed until about 30 minutes ago.

Latest posts