New Truck

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
All right looking for a new 3/4 ton between now and the end of the year.
I rarely pull over 10k pounds anyone.
Are the new diesel worth the Extra cost.
If so best Diesel today.
Best gasser today.
Last 3/4 ton I bought was in 02.

i can pull 18k lbs with my old 01 gas f250 so i would hope a new one with twice+ the power will pull 10k..

i don't see a need for a diesel.

I've got a 2013 Ram diesel. It's the gift that keeps giving. Up front cost is higher. Maintenance is higher. Fuel is higher. Good truck but so many people buy them for luxury that it's hard for a working man to justify.

My opinion and my opinion only.
Ford makes the best TRUCK.
Cummins makes the best DIESEL ENGINE
Chevy 6.0 is the best GAS ENGINE.
AGAIN, only my opinion.

Caustic Burno":lov2dyw9 said:
All right looking for a new 3/4 ton between now and the end of the year.
I rarely pull over 10k pounds anyone.
Are the new diesel worth the Extra cost.
If so best Diesel today.
Best gasser today.
Last 3/4 ton I bought was in 02.
If pulling less than 10k and don't need a large payload those F150's are nice. Keep your 02 for the heavy jobs and the F150 with a 4 door as daily vehicle and get rid of the car/SUV. Unless you are heck bent on a diesel and need the extra torque I would look for gas burners.

Car and Drivers take:.........The F-150 is the most complete and compelling full-size pickup to be found.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/20 ... del-review

ygAOt6N.jpg

Here is a farmers special if you want the single cab 4x4, plain Jane (cow sheet want hurt), soft ride, easy to get in/out, want show dirt too bad, and stay cooler in Texas heat. Others have good trucks also.

new-2018-ford-f~150-xl4wdregcab8box-12291-17009746-7-640.jpg

Ford F150 with the V8 engine would be my choice. Next is the Ram 2500 with the 6.4 V8 engine if your towing over 10k. Screw diesel trucks unless your going to delete them. You will have emissions problems it's just a matter of time. And for $9k extra up front for the diesel, extra maintenance cost and the cost of diesel fuel. Not a very smart investment unless your pulling heavy all the time. Longevity use to be a selling point of a diesel, now a gas engine last as long, thanks EPA.

I'm 7 months and 15,000 miles in on the Chevy gasser. It doesn't pull like a diesel, but it cost less than half of the 5500 RAM. I'm happy with the purchase. It handles a 10,000 pound skid steer alright, but I don't think it'd want a pair of them in tow.

True Grit Farms":jsbao4k3 said:
Ford F150 with the V8 engine would be my choice. Next is the Ram 2500 with the 6.4 V8 engine if your towing over 10k. Screw diesel trucks unless your going to delete them. You will have emissions problems it's just a matter of time. And for $9k extra up front for the diesel, extra maintenance cost and the cost of diesel fuel. Not a very smart investment unless your pulling heavy all the time. Longevity use to be a selling point of a diesel, now a gas engine last as long, thanks EPA.

Just put a $4300 turbo on mine. Like I said they are the gifts that keep on giving.

Farm Fence Solutions":2d6o5fdn said:
I'm 7 months and 15,000 miles in on the Chevy gasser. It doesn't pull like a diesel, but it cost less than half of the 5500 RAM. I'm happy with the purchase. It handles a 10,000 pound skid steer alright, but I don't think it'd want a pair of them in tow.

How does that tracked machine do in mud? Do you prefer the radius style arms over the vertical lift for any particular reason?

I've got a NH LX885 with tires and can't tell you how many times I've got it stuck in our clay mud.

cfpinz":ikm2f443 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":ikm2f443 said:

How does that tracked machine do in mud? Do you prefer the radius style arms over the vertical lift for any particular reason?

I've got a NH LX885 with tires and can't tell you how many times I've got it stuck in our clay mud.

I've only had it stuck a couple times where it couldn't dig its self out, and I'll take the blame for that. It'll slide around quite a bit on greasy mud, and you might put 10 miles on the tracks to go 2 miles, but it's much better than tires....especially with a load. I don't really have a preference on the lift arms. My last machine was a NH on tires, and it served us well, but this CAT is a horse. I've had this one for quite a long time, and really haven't done much to it. I rebuilt the engine about 5 years ago because the turbo shot craps and it ran away on oil. One new final drive a year or two ago. Rebuilt the undercarriage and new tracks 7 or 8 years ago. New outboard final drive bearings every 400 hours, and that's not a bad job if you keep up with it. Let em go out, and it gets expensive. Gave up on keeping glass in it, but the heat still works. It's getting close to 6,000 hours, and still goes to work everyday. CAT has their own track setup now, and doesn't use the ASV system anymore. The new ones are less maintenance, but not as good for the work part of owning one, IMHO. If it's not on tracks, I don't want it on a fence job. ;-)

The diesel and gas situation has flipped in recent years.

New diesels will cost you big time after the warranty is up on emissions system repairs. Not if but when, unless you delete, which adds even more to the price tag.

A modern gas engine will go 200+ thousand without major work.

A diesel may get 20% better fuel economy, but diesel is 20% more expensive most of the time, so that's a wssh.

The only time you can justify a diesel is if you're pulling heavy 90% of the time it's running.

My vote, Chevy with 6.0 gas.

Two neighbors just bought new GM pickups. One of them has had his back to dealer several times. It's auto tranny has soft shift and engine and tranny talk to each other for max fuel economy. He is retired from Allison and it makes him crazy. Dealer told him, drive it till it pukes. The other neighbor just drives his, who cares.

so many people buy them for luxury that it's hard for a working man to justify.
Sitting in Wally lot I see this. Double cab trucks are the new SUV soccer mom vehicle.

kickinbull":33bucpnw said:
so many people buy them for luxury that it's hard for a working man to justify.
Sitting in Wally lot I see this. Double cab trucks are the new SUV soccer mom vehicle.

$30,328 for the white Chevy up there^^^^.
2017 brand new, but nothing luxurious about it. It's cheaper than fixing one. I put a bed, and wheels/good tires on it. All the stock parts will have good value in a year or two, once there are some wrecks to fix.

cfpinz":1wfdvqd4 said:
JMJ Farms":1wfdvqd4 said:
Just put a $4300 turbo on mine. Like I said they are the gifts that keep on giving.

What happened to your turbo?

I can't answer that with certainty. But here's my educated guess. The various exhaust components, namely the DPF, restricts enough airflow that you end up with carbon buildup on/in the actuator and then the turbo. They told me that it possibly would only need the wastegate cleaned. Knew I wouldn't be the lucky. I do know that it's a result of exhaust system components. DEF also not working at the moment. My original post was a little misleading. The part supplier that the diesel shop is taking their sweet time. They are actually putting the turbo on next week. Power is way off when towing. Took it to RAM dealership and they quoted $8k for a turbo. I told them their breath stank. That's highway robbery. $4300 made my head hurt. But what do you do? $4300 or $60k. I'm gonna fix it and delete it. 140k miles and I should have already deleted it. I honestly believe that if I had deleted it at the end of warranty that the turbo would have never failed.

on my 3rd 6.7 powerstroke , 40-50k a year most years pulling . Ford got it this time , anybody not bias thats knows modern diesel trucks knows this

Caustic Burno":2nceelwf said:
Looking at a Z71 has 11000 to 12500 lbs towing capacity depending on power plant.

These were always my favorites. Drove them for years. Biggest problem for me was moving hay. I've got a 10 bale in-line hay trailer. Gooseneck. Had several Z71s with 5.7s. And then bought one with the 6.2. Plenty of engine. But the suspension couldn't "tote" the weight and would try to run it hot very quickly. That's the only reason I ever went to a 3/4 ton.

JMJ Farms":3euamgds said:
Caustic Burno":3euamgds said:
Looking at a Z71 has 11000 to 12500 lbs towing capacity depending on power plant.

These were always my favorites. Drove them for years. Biggest problem for me was moving hay. I've got a 10 bale in-line hay trailer. Gooseneck. Had several Z71s with 5.7s. And then bought one with the 6.2. Plenty of engine. But the suspension couldn't "tote" the weight and would try to run it hot very quickly. That's the only reason I ever went to a 3/4 ton.

I am not getting rid of my 7.3.
Was just wanting something if I got in a bind and had to pull a load of calves to the salebarn.

Latest posts