New truck buying lesson wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":psv4r7vu said:
Fm I am sure you can appreciate this... here you have state inspections and lets just say every vehicle that was being inspected had a 10 dollar headlight alignment that was needed that was a big racket and still is. FM I took 2 years of automotive at a tech center in high school. I use to always watch shadetree mechanic when the show came on saturdays.

I took the auto tech classes and the ag classes at the same time. Not bragging but I can fix almost anything mechanical.(everyone knows I no electrician :lol2: )
State inspection was a Huge racket. But so was every thing else. They had commissioned salespeople with quotas. If a car came in running bad, and you the mechanic recommended spark plugs, you get the work order back and the salespeople had added filters, plugwires, timing belts you name it.

I'm By no means saying all mechanics are crooks. But the outfit I worked for was bad.
And it was usually some little old lady they were screwing. I couldn't be part of it. I quit.

Yep anything motor related I can do changing transmission out.. torque converters ... clutches ... flywheels no biggie.. I can rebuild axles.. paint... REBUILD Transmissions NO THANK YOU ... PASS.. I know enough about electricity to be dangerous.

A farmer and a fisherman has to be a jack of all trades. I'm at a loss when I see folks taking their stuff in to get it worked on. I enjoy welding and fabricating, so I'm always building or repairing something around here.

Hg im not trying to pry in your business but can you explain your logic behind how your new truck deal works. I cant see how it would and im curious as to how it does. Not trying to argue or say your wrong im just curious after all i wouldnt mind a new truck.

I just bought a new truck last weekend. The one I wanted was recalled, nationally, so they brought up another one that was 'close.' Started out $180/month over what I could afford. Tried 3X to get it close. They doubled my down payment, doubled my trade in (1994 K2500), and I walked away only $27/month more than I wanted to with a truck that was $5K over the other one. I heard August is the best month to buy b/c everyone wants to reduce product to make room for new stock. Also, Friday nights and end of the month. All I know is that I got more truck than I was hoping for.

I did not want to go through the hassle of trying to sell my truck and have trouble collecting for it or have the buyer come back and complain about the problems, that is why I was looking for a decent trade. My truck was the 2006 1 ton extended cab Ford xlt diesel 6.0. I had not had many problems with mine, but sounds like everyone else had a ton of problems. A couple of dealers just flat refused to make an offer on a trade because they did not want the truck. Several dealers offered 8-10 thousand for the truck. I ended up trading for a Dodge ,1 ton cab and chassis 4 wheel drive Tradesman gas. That is the plainest version, a work truck. I traded on Aug 31 and this dealer beat the others by a whole lot. I ended up almost 25,000 off sticker for the truck on a list of just over 40,000. That was 5-8 thousand better than my other 3 best bids. Based on what they were willing to sell the truck outright for, that was about 18,000 for my truck and 7 thousand off sticker. I put a new Cannnonball hay bed on it. I had about decided just to run mine until it dropped, but when they came up with this, I decided to go ahead. Thanks for the advice and thoughts.

stocky":19ebmfhl said:
I did not want to go through the hassle of trying to sell my truck and have trouble collecting for it or have the buyer come back and complain about the problems, that is why I was looking for a decent trade. My truck was the 2006 1 ton extended cab Ford xlt diesel 6.0. I had not had many problems with mine, but sounds like everyone else had a ton of problems. A couple of dealers just flat refused to make an offer on a trade because they did not want the truck. Several dealers offered 8-10 thousand for the truck. I ended up trading for a Dodge ,1 ton cab and chassis 4 wheel drive Tradesman gas. That is the plainest version, a work truck. I traded on Aug 31 and this dealer beat the others by a whole lot. I ended up almost 25,000 off sticker for the truck on a list of just over 40,000. That was 5-8 thousand better than my other 3 best bids. Based on what they were willing to sell the truck outright for, that was about 18,000 for my truck and 7 thousand off sticker. I put a new Cannnonball hay bed on it. I had about decided just to run mine until it dropped, but when they came up with this, I decided to go ahead. Thanks for the advice and thoughts.

Please PM me the dealer name if you'd rather not reply in the thread. I'm been looking but keeping holding on to my 03 Dodge 2500 Cummins. Also, let us know how you like the gas motor. Several guys around here have the new gas motor from Ford but haven't ran onto anybody with the new or newer gas motor from Dodge. Thanks

J&D I got the new Dodge at Country Dodge in Cassville, Mo. They were real good to deal with and I was happy with how they treated me. I got a new Cannonball bed on it and they took it to get that put on and I did not have to spend the time to take it there and go get it, myself.
I have been very pleased with the gas motor. I know of several farmers who have switched from diesel to gas due to the 8,000 initial difference in cost and then the more expensive upkeep. I know I am told by several people that the diesel motor will last alot longer, but each diesel I have had has ended up having to have new injectors after about 100,000 miles and that was Ford and Chevy, both. So, if you have to put in 5,000 dollars after 100,000 miles, that doesn't make me believe the motor is lasting longer without putting alot of money into it.
With my Ford diesel, I got around 10 miles per gallon when I was pulling something on the hills and curves. I am getting around 9 pulling so far with the gas. My Chevy diesel gets a little better fuel mileage, but it is 3/4 ton. I have a steep hill on a gravel road to pull with the 36 foot hay trailer at one place. I pulled 20 loads one day with no problems and it pulled very well. Coming from one farm, there is a long, steep hill on the highway that you come from a dead stop to pull the hill. With a load of cattle, the diesel would get up to 37 miles per hour then pull down to 25 and go into low gear and whine to get to the top. With the gas, it gets up to 40 miles per hour, then pulls down to 22 and goes into low gear and whines to get to the top. So, really there hasn't been much difference.
I am still re-learning how to drive the gas with a trailer, as it is much quicker with the acceleration, so it was not as smooth until I got used to the gas, again.
But, to answer your question, yes, I am happy with the gas, so far after 1400 miles and 20 days of ownership.