New Trich Laws

Help Support CattleToday:

Last I heard they had another session in Sept and if everything passes ...then it would go into effect. Exhibition cattle and bucking bulls are exempt WITH a permit that you have to get by calling a 1-800...number. Is that what you understand?

2barmcattle":36ohzya9 said:
Last I heard they had another session in Sept and if everything passes ...then it would go into effect. Exhibition cattle and bucking bulls are exempt WITH a permit that you have to get by calling a 1-800...number. Is that what you understand?

Just had a seminar on it, put on by TAMU and 3 local county extension agents the inter state laws in effect now. The intrastate laws take effect jan 1, 2010. No bull under 2 can be sold without a clear trich test except for slaughter, bulls under two can be sold if they are certified virgin. The latter is not happening seedstock producers are not going to accept the liabilty of selling untested bulls. The older bulls will have order buyers only bid on them at the salebarn now. Price of herd bulls has to go up, someone has to pay for the testing which is always the buyer, price of older bulls will go down at the barn.

Thanks Sir....... I know they had a TERRIBLE time interpretting their law concerning exhibition animals...sounds like it is all worked out now. I even paid for trich. testing twice when going to shows because no one could tell me if it was in effect or what was needed. Did they happen to mention exhibition animals in the class you attended? Like I said...last I was told by the TAHC was that you just have to call a phone # to get a permit # to enter Texas and return. This is no matter if they are virgin bulls or not.

2barmcattle":4umqu800 said:
Thanks Sir....... I know they had a TERRIBLE time interpretting their law concerning exhibition animals...sounds like it is all worked out now. I even paid for trich. testing twice when going to shows because no one could tell me if it was in effect or what was needed. Did they happen to mention exhibition animals in the class you attended? Like I said...last I was told by the TAHC was that you just have to call a phone # to get a permit # to enter Texas and return. This is no matter if they are virgin bulls or not.

I have an outline of the new laws up in the old house where I keep all my records. I will review it later today and post back on your question. I remember them covering exhibiton stock and rodeo and to be honest I didn't pay a lot of attention to that section since it didn't effect me.

Caustic, I am not in Texas, but have been dealing with the problem. Last month bought some 4 year old used bulls. One tested positive since the others were in the same pasture was advised to sell all and now am short of bulls. Ark is looking at some kind of regs. also.

Thats a bad deal hillrancher. Been telling some folks to be careful buying used bulls. Read in some thing the other day about trich being up in your neighborhood.

Red Bull Breeder":19t45k4t said:
Thats a bad deal hillrancher. Been telling some folks to be careful buying used bulls. Read in some thing the other day about trich being up in your neighborhood.

Red Bull, I was very lucky caught it before turning the bulls out and also got my money refunded on them. All I was out vet for testing and time. One more lesson learned buy virgin bulls.

Latest posts