new trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
Bought a trailer last week 20' 4' dove tail. It was built on the early 80's and used to haul tractor and equipment. All of the boards were shot and 1 axle was bad. We have a lot of mobile home movers in our area so I picked up 2 new dexter axles with brakes 45 each and 6 new tires 25 each. Gave 800 for trailer and have 150 in new oak floor. I will mainly use to haul hay and a small tractor no more than 20 miles around home
IMAG0353_zpsfac3071d.jpg

Looks pretty good and sounds like a pretty good deal, doesn't look like it has any welds. Those dexter axles are real good runners. Do they have the sealed hub bearings or not?

Bearings are replaceable and at every parts house 12 bucks a set . Frame is in excellent shape . Rub rail is the worst part its bent up a little.

That's a real nice trailer M5 and it sounds like a good deal also. If it's not over 8' you can weld some stake pockets on the sides. And then a new 4"x 3/8 rub rail on the outside of the pockets. Sure makes binding stuff down a lot easier.

Already got the stake pockets. The rail is bent between the pockets on both sides in several places. I like it and it pulls good. 18000 gwvr and should weigh around 4 k empty.

M5 take a crow bar and straighten up the rub rail then split the difference between the current pockets on the trailer and add the new ones. Will strengthen up the rub rail a lot.

denvermartinfarms":3rl150it said:
I don't think it could be beat for you having under 1200$ in it. What are you pulling it with?
2500 Dodge 4x4 and will use my 1500 Dodge 4x4 for light hauling . I'm gonna builg a hitch for my tractor also

M5farm":3szswb4p said:
denvermartinfarms":3szswb4p said:
I don't think it could be beat for you having under 1200$ in it. What are you pulling it with?
2500 Dodge 4x4 and will use my 1500 Dodge 4x4 for light hauling . I'm gonna builg a hitch for my tractor also
That's what I wondered, if you were gonna pull it with that half ton.

4000lbs trailer and 6k cargo is within 10250 the truck is rated at. I'll haul less and a lot shorter distance than those heavy travel trailers you see running up and down the road. Mostly got it to haul my hay with the tractor. Next thing is a FEL for the tractor to make it easier. Hay field is about 2 miles from the house