New tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

MCFD120

Reaction score
Good morning everyone! So my question is this me and my wife are looking to buy another tractor something big enough to run all our hay equipment and pull our Woods B320 20ft batwing. Hay equipment wise we just run a 10ft disc mower v-rake and a Vermeer 504R roller. We would also like to feed with this tractor as well in the winter so 4wd is a must we live in Kentucky so once winter hits it gets a little sporty here lol also Cab and a loader would be a must as well we've got a JD 4030 and love it so I'd like to stay green maybe a 64 series tractor? anything to get us in the right direction helps thank you all!

JD 64XX tractors have a solid reputation around here. There just haven't been as many available as were in demand (used market).

Hard to beat a JD 64 or 72 series. Hard to find in good shape at a fair price though. Guys don't like to get rid of them.

The older CIH Maxxums (51XX and 52XX series) were good tractors too.

The 20 series is 100x better than the 30 series Deeres. We've had 6310,20, and 30 series mfwd loader tractors. Every series newer Deere takes away some of the options.
A 6420 or 6430 will do what you want, but a 7230 would do it easily. Always better to have extra power in a haying tractor in the spring.

I'd second what SBMF said. My dad had a 6400, he was retiring, and wanted me to buy it. Very nice tractor in really good shape with low hours. He brought it to my place for me to use here for a bit... I found it was just too small on power to be practical for me. I was small square baling at the time... about 30,000 - 40,000 bales a year, had two balers and 15 - 18' throw racks. Couldn't pull a fully loaded rack and baler up the "average" hills on the road without shifting down. You'd be alot happier with a 7000 series. I liked the compactness of that 6400 though, and it seemed to be fairly easy on fuel. He didn't have a loader on it... if he had, I probably would have bought it from him.

If money isn't an issue, green is nice. I ran a 6410 a lot on hay crew running all different equipment. Personally I've got a 9540 Kubota now, works great for me but probably be bit small for you if 64 series is. My Dads friend has a Case IH, can't remember the model but I know it has a 5.9 cummins same as the dodge trucks. Very economical on fuel, reliable and parts pretty easy to find. If I were in the market it'd be Kubota or that Case, but money would be my issue

Latest posts