new tractor recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

John SD

Reaction score
I'm contemplating a tractor upgrade later this year. Considering a mfwd with loader, bucket and grappel in the 120 pto hp range. It will be used for haying and winter feeding.

Biggest potential load I have for the tractor would be my 16'x33' Lahman stackmover on which I haul a maximum of 23 bales weighing 1300 lbs each. Also a 5'x6' round baler and 16' moco. All 1000 rpm implements.

What are your experiences and thoughts concerning the Kubota M135X vs NH T6060 vs MF 6465? I'm trying to stay open minded and am not averse to red, green, or Cat yellow either. TIA for replies.

It seems that alot of people on here will probaly disagree with me but i don't think you could beat the kubota i have had 3 around 80 hp and have loved everything about them i pull a 15 ft bat wing and 4x6 baler over very steep land. i think the have the best hydraulics of any tractor and have never han any real problems with anything on them.i don't think there would be anything wrong with a john deere either though. i personaly would not own a new case or new holland i had a older one that was good buti have seen alot of problems of all kinds with the newer ones i know of a dealer that sells nh and kubota and they told me they think the new hollands are junk and the ones i have seen are more expensive any way. i also know a guy that works on them for a big new holland dealer with sevarel locations around my area and he says the same thing and he use to work for john deere so thats what he is compareing them to.just my opinions but hope this helps some.

denvermartinfarms":btfyh7as said:
i know of a dealer that sells nh and kubota

We had a dealer close that did the same. One day NH came and said the Kubotas had to go and they showed the NH folks the door. Got my kubota 7040 from them last year, love it. :cowboy:

Lets face it they are all foreign made so I would buy the one with the most options for the money with a dealer that is close. My last tractor purchase was a Kubota because I have a dealer 15 miles from the house with a well liked service department. In the hay field weight isn't my main concern but if I was thinking of ever pulling a big disc I would look at their weights.

B&M Farms":1sh90k82 said:
Lets face it they are all foreign made so I would buy the one with the most options for the money with a dealer that is close. My last tractor purchase was a Kubota because I have a dealer 15 miles from the house with a well liked service department. In the hay field weight isn't my main concern but if I was thinking of ever pulling a big disc I would look at their weights.

Even Deere is foreign made?

We have a Kubota M7040 and eventhough I'm a rookie I can handle it with ease.

B&M Farms":28izta4s said:

I know some of the Kubota's are make in Georgia. I was ask by the local ealier this week if I wanted to tour the plant later in the year.
I have a M100X and really like it.

I traded my kubota 95 40 in on a new holland 5060 . You may think weight isn't a issue until you cut a rough hay field in the lite tractor . I'd get the tractor with the most bells and whistles . Its better To be happy than to settle . Does kubota make a 1000 rpm tractor ? Case I h and new holland are basically the same tractor . just different colors . Every one of them are made over seas including the Deere .

I have bought 3 new kubotas silnce 86 have had 2 not so good and hoping the one I got last week is the perfect one. Buy because the dealer is close enough to drive them in to get worked on. Our Nh dealer is a tir/ . I have a 108 and a 9540 both 4wh drive and cabs and air. Put industral tires on the 9540 it will only run 18.4 mph , put it low to the ground and increased the pull. Agree they are lighter than the others and not as much torque, haying is the main function we use them for.
There were NH and case farmall at ag days last week. They were exactly alike. They both had the Eveco engines in them. I have Case bh with a Eveco engine cost me 6200 to get the injection pump repaired.It uses fule like it is a 300hp engilne, It is a 82 hp.
If you intend on buying a tractor You will save around 8500$ by buying befor the 2013 come out.2013 is when the air quality goes into effect.

just wondering what kind of problems you have had if there is somthing i should watch for.the last one i have bought is a 1993 m7950 so far been good. i see you are in arkansas what dealer are do you use just asking becuse somtimes when i need somthing for my older tractor not every dealer has it.

In my experience you need to look at tractor weight more than horsepower. Especially in a hay operation lifting heavy bales you want a tractor that is heavy and has the ability to move the tires way out wide.

It is interesting to look at all tractors on a cost per pound rather than a cost per hp. Hp is cheap. Weight is not. A chart of 120 hp range tractors' cost vs weight would really be an eye opener.

You will also see why the dealer mentioned above dropped NH in favor of Kubota. And fluid in the tires does not provide frame strength and durability. jmho.

Jim

your the only 1 that can decide what make of tractor you want.but ive got a kubota that is giving me great service.an hasnt had any probs at all.an if i was buying again id buy kubota.

I have no experience with Kubota's and if I was buying a tractor under 100 hp I would seriously look at them. But over 100 hp I would probably shy away from them. Like I said, no experience just what little I've heard. I think their bigger tractors are just fine, but really can't be treated the same as a JD of the same size.

Kubota is a fine tractor for the money. But nothing can compete with a John Deere, you pay more but you get more.
The reason being is they have the most money to spend on R&D.

denvermartinfarms":1dvhk3zk said:
just wondering what kind of problems you have had if there is somthing i should watch for.the last one i have bought is a 1993 m7950 so far been good. i see you are in arkansas what dealer are do you use just asking becuse somtimes when i need somthing for my older tractor not every dealer has it.

The first Kubota was a 50 hp had to overhaul it every thousand hours could not keep the head true. It would get hot if worked hard.
The 108sds is a 2010 the fuel system is messed up. It is a common rail system . Since a injector failed they cannot get it back to working as before. The hp is down and it is starving for fuel and the paint has turned pink. The last one just has 80 some hours good so far.
I have a older 80 hp JD that will put either kubota in the back when it come to hard work.
My dealer is Berryville Equipment they are owen by Superior Chevorlet. They own Kubota dealer Harrison, Berryville, Springdale and in Oklahoma.

highgrit":1wy8q7rk said:
Kubota is a fine tractor for the money. But nothing can compete with a John Deere, you pay more but you get more.
The reason being is they have the most money to spend on R&D.
I can buy a John Deere here for the same money as a Kubota but I would rather have the Kubota. John Deere isn't what they used to be to me as far as tractors. I still pull a green and yellow baler though. As far as weights, I noticed John Deere and New Holland wasn't making them all that heavy anymore either.

As far as the Kubota being a "light" tractor, I don't see that being too much of an issue. A 100+ hp Kubota would have to be a lot heavier and better balanced than the Farmall M with F11 that does the bale stacking now. :roll:

I figure since the Kubota has a 3 pt hitch it can haul a bale on the back for weight when necessary and not have to burn fuel packing cast weights or fluid around the rest of the time.

I currently feed with a Ford 9600 with 9' dozer which of course is a lot heavier tractor. The tires are full of fluid and there is 500 lbs of cast weight on each rear wheel. Add 2 bales on the rear along with tire chains and it can plow through a lot of snow. :shock: But I'm just not up to wrassling 38" tractor tire chains anymore, and the heater doesn't work. :oops: I figure it's time to retire the 9600 to the snowblower. I also realize the 9600 has 130 Belgian horsepower, while the Kubota has 130 Shetlands. :lol2:

Latest posts