New tractor Decission

Help Support CattleToday:

dbrews1954

Reaction score
Im sure i will open a can of worms here, looking at a new tractor purchase, I have 80 acres about 45 of it is pasture, i purchase my hay and pasture my cows as long as i can, i have a massey 1652 hydro 4 years now and a few problems with it, massey is making me a pretty good deal on a new 4707, 70 hp, no def fluid, 12x12 tranny, but its only 18 hp more than what i have and the tractor is almost 2x the wt of the 1652, also looking at the jd 5085e, about 10k more but very nice, however the jd dealer is about 50 miles away and the massey is 20 miles, the massey dealer has been good to work with and is really trying to keep my business,If i go up to the massey 4708 for an extra 10 hp the price jumps way up because it now takes def fluid, would love to hear your thoughts,
thank you
dave

Whats the power rating on what you're looking at? I don't know the new tractor models that well
I think unless you're doing a lot of round baling and heavy cutting, something in the 60-70 hp range should be good

the massey 4707 is 70hp, the jd, 5085E is 85 hp,dont plan on working up the ground, if i needed to would hire someone with a big tractor, mainly using to mow pastures, unload and stack hay, my massy 1652 only weights about 4500# this new one is about 7100#, guess I'm looking for a tractor that is more stable, don't really like getting a wheel up in the air, i don't have a level piece of ground in the area

Hp ratings on today's tractors are usually engine hp.A 4707 is actually 58 hp at the PTO from a 3.3L 3cyl.A closer comparison would be with the JD 5075 at 57 PTO hp out of a 179cu(2.9l) in 3 cylinder.The 5085 uses a 276 ci 4 cylinder to get 70hp.
The four cylinder will run quieter(I think) and( maybe have more torque reserve???).Dealer could tell you.
The 276 has been around for a long time.At least since 1976.The 179 longer.Don't know anything about the 3.3 Massey but the dealer is much closer and has been good to work with you already and that is a big thing,too.
Any of them should have enough power to do the utility jobs you describe.For what you are doing now,they should be great.You are wise in thinking about the weight factor.Not only is traction improved but,more importantly,stability is also.I don't like front ends coming up,either.

I would go with the tractor that has the best severice department. I like John Deere better mostly because of the dealer. They have what u need and always willing to help. I also like New Holland tractors but the dealer for them are about as useless as they come.

massy sounds hands down to me when you need somthing 30 mile diffrence is a big one besides my neighbor has had more problems with his new john deer equipment than he ever had with the old worn out case tractors not to mention big fancy silage chopper that brand new only let him down with 8 acres to go first year and then there was the new square baler that baled 20 bales ,but im not keeping track but the last time his new jd 80 hp broke down an had to set in my drive way ..lets just say by the tone of his voice when i asked him is it just somthing about a john deer NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! as slamed the door to his pick up truck !

Sounds like the Massey is a good choice. A good dealer close by is hard to come by, and not having the emissions is another plus.

Service first price second as long as it's a quality piece of equipment

I would drive them both see which lay out tractor you like best. Read all the information and reviews you can on each from people who own and operate those models.

Thanks for all your input , still undecided but leaning toward a massey , the dealer is closer, and always seem to work hard to take care of me, going to try and read some more and make up my mind this weekend and get something ordered

a 70hp to a 47hp tractor is a much bigger tractor with way more stability. i'm surprised you can get around rolling ground with a 47hp and not flip it.

Sounds like the Massey will do every thing you need and you have a good relationship with that dealer.

Have them put rear wheel weights on from the start. I guarantee you will like them. They really help with stability and traction. I will never have a tractor with out them.

Jed, thats exactly why I am weary of new stuff... That, and the writeoff on the first 1000 hours is huge. (it's OK if you're making money and need the writeoffs)

4wd, etc.. yes, definitely nice, but especially if you're looking at an older piece of equipment, go up in power by 50% and stay 2wd to save a lot of expenses when something goes wrong.

a small tractor can be stable too depending on how it's set up.. wide tires, wide spacing, low center of gravity, weights..

An old rancher neighbor of ours bought a new tractor about 20 years ago, he chose the JD because it was considerably heavier than the comparable competitive models.

Just stuff to think about :)

Nesikep":21054ju8 said:
Jed, thats exactly why I am weary of new stuff... That, and the writeoff on the first 1000 hours is huge. (it's OK if you're making money and need the writeoffs)

4wd, etc.. yes, definitely nice, but especially if you're looking at an older piece of equipment, go up in power by 50% and stay 2wd to save a lot of expenses when something goes wrong.

a small tractor can be stable too depending on how it's set up.. wide tires, wide spacing, low center of gravity, weights..

An old rancher neighbor of ours bought a new tractor about 20 years ago, he chose the JD because it was considerably heavier than the comparable competitive models.

Just stuff to think about :)
As far as 4wd it depends on where someone is. "Here" 2wd is fine if you have another that's 4wd. If you don't you better have 4wd.

I have one tractor I ship parts out of ontario, nearly half way across the country. Its still usually over night, same as the dealer 5mins down the road if I need something from them.

ddd75":27yvkiva said:
a 70hp to a 47hp tractor is a much bigger tractor with way more stability. i'm surprised you can get around rolling ground with a 47hp and not flip it.
ddd75, thanks for your opinion, right now i have a massey 1652 w/cab, rated 52 hp but its a hydrostatic , the 4707 is 70 hp, but the tractor is 3000# more, was wondering now if the 18 ho more is enough for the increased wt of the 4707,i know the hydro robs me of some power also, if i go up to the 80hp then it has the def fluid, and i might as well go to the 100 hp. only 2k more than the 80hp, but the price jumps way up n the 80 hp because of emissions,

dbrews1954, I just bought a massey ferguson 4608 that is suppose to be rated at 80 horse without any def or particulate filter. So far I really like it, feel I got a good deal being it is a leftover 2015 model.

Latest posts