New toy........finally finished (pictures)

Help Support CattleToday:

TREY-L

Reaction score
DSC00039.JPG

DSC00049.JPG

DSC00041.JPG

DSC00063.JPG

17 HM2

Ruger 10/22 action, Brown barrel, Boyds stock, Jim Clark extractor, bolt guide rod, and disconnector, Power custom extra power springs, Volquartzen competition hammer, sear, trigger, mag release, and trigger shims. Heavy bolt kit is a must for this conversion.

2100 fps

Did you do the threaded barrel and reciever or the slip in type?

Trey
What kind of groups will it shoot. I have a Mach 2 in a savage 93, it shoots great. Have you heard that this cartridge is falling out of favor. That's a shame I find it more useful than its big brother, and a heck of a lot cheaper to shoot.

Sweet rifle, did you do the work yourself?

3waycross":1d90klie said:
Trey
What kind of groups will it shoot. I have a Mach 2 in a savage 93, it shoots great. Have you heard that this cartridge is falling out of favor. That's a shame I find it more useful than its big brother, and a heck of a lot cheaper to shoot.

Sweet rifle, did you do the work yourself?
Thanks 3way, I've only shot it about 20 times, and that was without a scope on it. I was just shooting it to tune the firing pin. I bought a D2 tool steel firing pin that was full width and it wasn't beveled on one side like the factory pins. When the round first came out they were having trouble with the rims cracking or blowing out. The wider pin along with some tweeks from the ammo companies were supposed to have solved the problem. I guess time will tell. I will be trying to shoot it some this next week and after my barrel break in maybe I can post something about it's accuracy. I ordered my shells from Midway, and I think they were something like 4.85 for a box of 50. Way cheaper than a box of 17HMR or even standard 22 magnum shells. The only thing that I am really concerned about is how bad the wind will reek havoc on the little round. I built it for a squirrel rifle, and I will be tickled if I can get 1/2" groups at 70 yards.
I built it myself, or I should say I assembled it myself. I've built several 10/22s over the last several years that will shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yards when matched with the right ammo. With all the after market parts out there now it's pretty easy to build one that will do that.
DSC00043.JPG

This was the last regular 10/22 that I built. It's just a squirrel killer. All the internals are from Jim Clark as is the barrel. This gun will shoot 3/8" groups at 55 yards with CCI green tag ammo. It will shoot 1/2" groups with Remington target loads from Wal-Mart, so that is what I hunt with mostly.
DSC00048.JPG

I need to buy a better scope to go on it, but other than that it's a pretty fun little gun.

Latest posts