new too update

Help Support CattleToday:

jp4ever

Reaction score
hope this is in the correct place. thanks to all who read, my posts. finally got a call back from the vet,and he thought dehydration, so we got plain yogurt, tetraciclina tablets, milk and a turkey baster. in the past 4 hours we have gotten about 32oz of liquid in him, and he is along way from being ok, but is now responsive to touch, can hold his head up, eyes are half open(still clear) seems to being doing better. hope this isnt a case of the bulb burns brighter just before it goes out. anyway glad i found this site and will continue to read and learn from it thanks to all

If it is dehydration he needs electrolites asap.Tube him ;and I am surprised the vet didn't suggest an IV didn't they say to bring the calf in as soon as possible.If it is that dehydrated it is probably too late.

hillsdown":2dwtvrvy said:
If it is dehydration he needs electrolites asap.Tube him ;and I am surprised the vet didn't suggest an IV didn't they say to bring the calf in as soon as possible.If it is that dehydrated it is probably too late.

Don't know exactly what this is in reference to....however, when a calf is dehydrated electrolytes have got to be given. It's amazing how quickly a calf can come around once electrolytes are administered. Will it cure the calf...who knows...depends on how severe the problem is...but it sure does perk 'em up. AND, it sure does give the calf a little extra "chance."

Electrolytes and probios/yogurt...amazing stuff...and worth the effort.

Alice

thanks alice, hillsdown, please see new here too and it should explain my problems with the calf, while the vet didnt recommend electrolites the calf seems to be improving and will try to get some tomorrow after work, all the stores are closed now. i dont know how to tube, but the turkey baster, while tapping the under side of the neck seemed to want to make him swallow. its in the cow gods hands now, this is a great info site allready bookmarked and will try to learn as much as i can.

jp4ever":ttedj0qh said:
thanks alice, hillsdown, please see new here too and it should explain my problems with the calf, while the vet didnt recommend electrolites the calf seems to be improving and will try to get some tomorrow after work, all the stores are closed now. i dont know how to tube, but the turkey baster, while tapping the under side of the neck seemed to want to make him swallow. its in the cow gods hands now, this is a great info site allready bookmarked and will try to learn as much as i can.

Honey, if you can get that stuff down with a turkey baster, go for it! I'm serious as a heartbeat. With baby calves, ya' do what ya' gotta do to get the job done. :)

Alice

Latest posts